Hatchet recommendations?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Pelagic

Hatchet recommendations?

Post by Pelagic »

I'm looking for a good hatchet that has a reputation for the head material being strong (as in, more edge stability than your typical cheapo). Ideally I'd prefer a synthetic handle with a rubberized grip since they're so durable. But it doesn't have to meet all of my criteria. My last one was a cheapo and it worked fairly well. It was an Ozark Trail (Walmart brand) which is basically a cheap rippoff of a Fiskars. What hatchets do you guys own and what would you recommend? Thanks!
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
TomAiello

Re: Hatchet recommendations?

Post by TomAiello »

Fiskars hits a really good price/quality balance, in my opinion.
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

I'm a fan of Estwing's Sportsman's Axe... one-piece steel construction with leather grip.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Hey Hitch, Maybe not exactly what you have in mind but better than average. ;)

A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Water Bug wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:22 pm
I'm a fan of Estwing's Sportsman's Axe... one-piece steel construction with leather grip.
I have 5 hatchets now all together. But I also like the Estwing about the best. I also have a Sears Stainless hatchet I got back in the 80s and it's been through a lot over the years. Both are high quality units.

I've been told that Grandfors Bruks is about the best that money can buy. But I'm pretty satisfied with what I currently have.
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:51 pm
I've been told that Grandfors Bruks is about the best that money can buy.
... and that's right. ;)
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
standy99

Post by standy99 »

650ED5FF-624E-4943-9E38-A9085CE0C3B8.jpeg
Pricey but best I have ever used. Last cyclone I didn’t even get the chainsaw out this worked so well, handle is something else it’s that comfortable when swinging for a while.

Karesuando Kniven Unna Aksu Hunting Axe Curly Birch (9" Satin)
Last edited by standy99 on Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Tims

Post by Tims »

Theres no denying the durability of a fibreglass or steel handle but man, they don’t compare to the feel of a wood handle in use.
Regarding the Estwing. I’ve never taken to mine. It looks good and if I had to chop through a car door skin I would pick it over a wood handle but it doesn’t feel great in use. Even roughed up with 80 grit the handle feels slippery, balance is off and it feels like it wants to roll in your hand. It’s heavy too if you’re thinking off packing it on a trail.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I use and abuse a husqvarna hatchet. It is heavy and chunky but powerful. The steel is good, hard but not too hard. Overall a decent hatchet for $40.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:05 pm
Fiskars hits a really good price/quality balance, in my opinion.

I second this! Fiskars makes a superb axe in my opinion. They are almost indestructible and the heads have nice thin geometry for excellent cutting power. Takes a shaving sharp edge too.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Thank you for the responses. Any and all info is appreciated. I do like wood handles but I won't be the only one using it. If someone misses and strikes a tree or log on the handle I just don't want it to be damaged. I will look into all the models mentioned. I'm curious about which ones have good geometry and heat treat.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Tims

Post by Tims »

Pelagic wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:49 am
Thank you for the responses. Any and all info is appreciated. I do like wood handles but I won't be the only one using it. If someone misses and strikes a tree or log on the handle I just don't want it to be damaged. I will look into all the models mentioned. I'm curious about which ones have good geometry and heat treat.
A composite handle would be the go if other, less skilled/careful folk will be using it a lot.

That said, an overstrike guard can be made easily or bought cheaply if you have your heart set on a wood handle. I grew up splitting wood with a full size block splitter. I was small and it was heavy so overstrikes happened, a guard did help prolong the life of the handles.

Overstrikes on a hatchet will be far less common or damaging. Something to consider
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I'd also recommend estwing. The price is low and it's solid. The sportsman is nice with the stacked leather and the campers axe has the rubber handle.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

VashHash wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:33 pm
I'd also recommend estwing. The price is low and it's solid. The sportsman is nice with the stacked leather and the campers axe has the rubber handle.
Every ESTWING tool I've ever owned has been quality built and a great value for the money. I've still own and use an ESTWING carpenter's hammer I had given to me the year I graduated high school ( 1972) and I still use it frequently. I also have one of their "geologist's hammers" with the miner's pick point that rock hounds use that I got in a trade over at Bladeforums back in 2005 and I've used it for all kinds of jobs and it's just as good as new.

Truly you can't go wrong with ESTWING. I highly suspect that ESTWING is who made my SEARS Craftsman hatchet because the two of them are so similar in many aspects. But both of them are superb and both were made in the USA :cool: . I can't really see where a Grandfors Bruks unit would outperform them. But let me know if there are any advantages but I sure can't find any.
Tims

Post by Tims »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:15 am
VashHash wrote:
Every ESTWING tool I've ever owned has been quality built and a great value for the money. I've still own and use an ESTWING carpenter's hammer I had given to me the year I graduated high school ( 1972) and I still use it frequently. I also have one of their "geologist's hammers" with the miner's pick point that rock hounds use that I got in a trade over at Bladeforums back in 2005 and I've used it for all kinds of jobs and it's just as good as new.

Truly you can't go wrong with ESTWING. I highly suspect that ESTWING is who made my SEARS Craftsman hatchet because the two of them are so similar in many aspects. But both of them are superb and both were made in the USA :cool: . I can't really see where a Grandfors Bruks unit would outperform them. But let me know if there are any advantages but I sure can't find any.
I can definitely feel the difference between the Estwing and a wood handle (don’t own a Bruks). The longer you hold/use it, the more apparent the difference.
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:15 am
VashHash wrote:

I've been a big Estwing fan for years. The Estwing Sportsman's Axe was the first of their tools that I got. I then got the Estwing Rock Pick (pointed tip with leather washer grip) as well as the Estwing 16 ounce Bricklayer's Hammers (with molded Shock Reduction Grip) for field work during college, and I still use them today. And, I also have Estwing's Curved Claw English Pattern Hammer (with leather washer grip) for all my nailing job needs. The solid steel, one-piece construction, as well as these tools being made in the USA, appeals to me and have served me well.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!