"Most Durable" available Spyderco Knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: "Most Durable" available Spyderco Knife?

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:09 am
Tucson Tom wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:07 pm
My nominations:

The backlock Manix (now discontinued).
The Shaman
A backlock Shaman would be even better concerning monster- durability...

Don't get me wrong, the existing Shaman is way more than strong enough, and though I prefer a backlock generally, it's comp. lock is very strong too..

But when it comes to totally unnecessary, never needed in real-even-hard-use, crazy strength, the added steel on the back of the handle and the general strength of a backlock would make the Shaman a total tank (again, more than anybody would ever need. It's just a mind game how the strongest possible folder might look like).
You might have liked the C95 Manix. 4mm FFG, full liners, and the stoutest lockback I've seen on a folder.

:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:29 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:09 am
Tucson Tom wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:07 pm
A backlock Shaman would be even better concerning monster- durability...

Don't get me wrong, the existing Shaman is way more than strong enough, and though I prefer a backlock generally, it's comp. lock is very strong too..

But when it comes to totally unnecessary, never needed in real-even-hard-use, crazy strength, the added steel on the back of the handle and the general strength of a backlock would make the Shaman a total tank (again, more than anybody would ever need. It's just a mind game how the strongest possible folder might look like).
You might have liked the C95 Manix. 4mm FFG, full liners, and the stoutest lockback I've seen on a folder.

Looks cool, and I sure would have liked to handle and try it!!

But tbh I would not have liked to carry it and probably not liked to use it frequently.. I think for any knife task the 3mm stock of let's say an Endura is at least enough (2.5, like on the Delica, would be maybe even better). Sure a taller blade can have thicker stock and still be a good slicer, but 4mm is really thick imho for a folder...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Sorry I'm late getting back to this, I've been a little busy with other things lately.
[quote="The Meat man" post_id=1348754 time=1564260834 user_id=31246
Most durable doesn't necessarily mean most corrosion resistant.
[/quote]
While that's true, corrosion resistance is still a major factor in durability. I've not had corrosion problems with 154CM, 204P, or S30V. But I have had minor issues with 8Cr13MoV. Further, I've had issues with clip wobble from screws that were too short and liners that were too thin on every Spyderco or Byrd I've ever owned where the clips are attached by screwing into the liners. Any of the liner-less Native 5s would solve that problem. I imagine that the discontinued Native 5 Ti / S35VN is incredibly durable. Is it significantly more durable than the new-ish liner-less G10 / S30V version with thread inserts though? How much durability is really lost on the liner-less FRN versions, either S30V or LC200N?
Vivi wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:21 am
The stainless or g10 cara caras, especially the first version, are very stout folders.
The G10 scale Byrd II series knives I had all had the clip mounting issues noted above. All had very roughly finished liners and back spacers, which made them very susceptible to corrosion. Maybe the older versions were better finished. Maybe the current stainless steel handle models are polished inside as well as outside. The Ti handle Meadowlark and Cara look pretty stout too. But all are still hamstrung by the 8Cr13MoV blades. The other issue with the polished stainless steel handles is that they're slick. I know that's a usability issue rather than a durability issue, but what good is a very durable knife if it's hard to use outside of the most ideal circumstances?