Swick 5 Wharnie in LC200N

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ngati Pom

Re: Swick 5 Wharnie in LC200N

Post by Ngati Pom »

Nice to see the evolution on this, thanks.
The 14P3Z appears to have a larger hole, is that correct?
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

thx for the pics Reject,
I've drooled over your collection shots for years :p

is it my recently operated sight, or the leaf shaped Swick on the far right is longer than the leaf shaped Swick in the middle? (Bamboo mat pic)
attila

Post by attila »

I'm really looking forward to the Swick 5!

I thought that while we wait for the 5, I should share a pic of my most recent acquisition:

Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

Any more news on this one?
vivi

Post by vivi »

attila wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:02 am
I'm really looking forward to the Swick 5!

I thought that while we wait for the 5, I should share a pic of my most recent acquisition:

Wish we could still buy those sheaths. The kydex my wharnie Swick came with leaves a bit to be desired, even after tweaking retention with a heat gun.
:unicorn
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Maybe next reveal??? When is the next reveal by the way??? :confused:
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
vivi

Post by vivi »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:33 pm
Maybe next reveal??? When is the next reveal by the way??? :confused:
Shouldn't be long as we're approaching half way into the third quarter. Hoping this model didn't get delayed....it's going to be a new fixed EDC favorite for me. I love my wharnie Swick but this version will takes things to the next level.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Caspian-like removable screw construction Toxic Green FRN scales would be an awesome addition to an LC200N Swick! :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:16 pm
Wish we could still buy those sheaths. The kydex my wharnie Swick came with leaves a bit to be desired, even after tweaking retention with a heat gun.
I bet this guy could make you one: https://www.azwelke.com/sheaths/spyderco/
vivi

Post by vivi »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:07 pm
Vivi wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:16 pm
I bet this guy could make you one: https://www.azwelke.com/sheaths/spyderco/
I planned on ordering one from him, but then Spyderco announced they'd be making a new Swick. If the Swick 5 doesn't come with a sheath, he'll get my business.
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

Wow! This is basically the knife I described wanting in the ideal fixed blade thread! Awesome! Definitely picking one up. Perfect timing too cause I was gonna be placing an order for a Perrin Le Shark, but I’d much rather be carrying le Swick :D
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
sal

Post by sal »

The prototypes are being examined by the sheath maker.

They will come with scales, belt loop and neck chain and two finger ring sizes.

sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

sal wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:45 pm

sal
This is great news. Very glad to hear there will be scales and a sheath included. I'm in for multiples!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:17 pm
sal wrote:

sal
This is great news. Very glad to hear there will be scales and a sheath included. I'm in for multiples!

Vivi, may I ask: I got the (very strong... ;) ) impression, that you would not like to carry small knives, in fact even your Pac Salt had already a rather SHORT blade for your likings.
Why is this different when it comes to the swick (or fixed blades in general)? Just asking, cause I assume there must be something VERY special about this knife that makes you want to carry it, or it fills a very special role for you.

Like you, I prefer longer blades, but other than you, carry shorter ones too sometimes (Endela, or even Chap). But the Swick would be to short in edge length even for me. The shortest fixed blade I have and find usefull is the White River Backpacker (if you want, look at Doc Dans "orange thread", there I posted a pic of that knife).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:35 pm
Vivi wrote:
sal wrote:

sal

Vivi, may I ask: I got the (very strong... ;) ) impression, that you would not like to carry small knives, in fact even your Pac Salt had already a rather SHORT blade for your likings.
Why is this different when it comes to the swick (or fixed blades in general)? Just asking, cause I assume there must be something VERY special about this knife that makes you want to carry it, or it fills a very special role for you.

Like you, I prefer longer blades, but other than you, carry shorter ones too sometimes (Endela, or even Chap). But the Swick would be to short in edge length even for me. The shortest fixed blade I have and find usefull is the White River Backpacker (if you want, look at Doc Dans "orange thread", there I posted a pic of that knife). viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84555 scroll down a bit.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Vivi wrote:
sal wrote:

sal

Like you, I prefer longer blades, but other than you, carry shorter ones too sometimes (Endela, or even Chap). But the Swick would be to short in edge length even for me. The shortest fixed blade I have and find usefull is the White River Backpacker (if you want, look at Doc Dans "orange thread", there I posted a pic of that knife).
Well fixed blades don't fold, so shorter blades mean they carry more easily for EDC.

While I have no issue carrying around something like a Waterway, Street Beat, Ronin 2 etc. when it comes to size, my Swick is a lot more comfortable. Kind of like how you find folders larger than the Endura not quite as comfortable in the pocket.

The Swick is a really cool design too. Its one of my favorite fixed blades I own, and you'd see mine in the EDC thread a lot more often if I didn't have a couple of issues with my Swick sheath. I should make a new one but I've been holding out for the new run of them.

It's a very compact design that offers me an ergonomic, full grip in a very small package. The wharnie blade shape is perfect for the shorter blade length IMO, and the Swick has a nice negative blade angle in my grip.

It's a design that allows for very efficient cutting in a small package, and the negative angle, secure grip and short distance between your hand and the cutting edge means you get exceptional leverage.

Maybe I could do a little video showing my Swick cutting some stuff, might make it easier to understand why I like it.

As far as folders go, something the size and weight of my Pacific Salt never, ever feels too big, too heavy or burdensome in any way. So I see no reason to go smaller with folding knives. I can clip one IWB in lightweight running shorts and forget its there. If I went down to say, a Delica, it would only provide me with drawbacks rather than benefits.

With fixed blades, blade length can change how I carry them. Smaller knives like my Swick, Izula 2 and Landi PSK are comfortable to carry horizontally on my belt just above my right pocket. Longer ones aren't. Those go on my hip vertically.

Finding a comfortable setup with fixed blades tends to be more involved than folders. A lot of people are probably put off of the idea of carrying them for that reason alone.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:59 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Vivi wrote:
sal wrote:

sal
Well fixed blades don't fold, so shorter blades mean they carry more easily for EDC.

While I have no issue carrying around something like a Waterway, Street Beat, Ronin 2 etc. when it comes to size, my Swick is a lot more comfortable. Kind of like how you find folders larger than the Endura not quite as comfortable in the pocket.

The Swick is a really cool design too. Its one of my favorite fixed blades I own, and you'd see mine in the EDC thread a lot more often if I didn't have a couple of issues with my Swick sheath. I should make a new one but I've been holding out for the new run of them.

It's a very compact design that offers me an ergonomic, full grip in a very small package. The wharnie blade shape is perfect for the shorter blade length IMO, and the Swick has a nice negative blade angle in my grip.

It's a design that allows for very efficient cutting in a small package, and the negative angle, secure grip and short distance between your hand and the cutting edge means you get exceptional leverage.

Maybe I could do a little video showing my Swick cutting some stuff, might make it easier to understand why I like it.

As far as folders go, something the size and weight of my Pacific Salt never, ever feels too big, too heavy or burdensome in any way. So I see no reason to go smaller with folding knives. I can clip one IWB in lightweight running shorts and forget its there. If I went down to say, a Delica, it would only provide me with drawbacks rather than benefits.

With fixed blades, blade length can change how I carry them. Smaller knives like my Swick, Izula 2 and Landi PSK are comfortable to carry horizontally on my belt just above my right pocket. Longer ones aren't. Those go on my hip vertically.

Finding a comfortable setup with fixed blades tends to be more involved than folders. A lot of people are probably put off of the idea of carrying them for that reason alone.

Thanks, good points, I get what you mean!

( BTW (and OT, I know), you say you´d carry the Izula: Have you ever tried the White River Backpacker, Backpacker PRO (which I mentioned above) or Caper (essentially the same knives, just different set up for the handle)?:
They look a lot like the Izula, just a bit more blade (for me the Izula is just too short to be versatle enough), better steel for a small knife (mine is S30V, now they come in S35VN I think), plus a great sheath. Horizonzal carry no problem sizewise.
And I think for even less money than the Izula, if you calculate sheet and handle scales.)
vivi

Post by vivi »

I took a look at their knives, but I prefer 1095 to S30V for a rough use fixed blade. I'll use my Izula 2 to pry off chunks of fatwood and stuff like that.

https://www.knifeworks.com/esee-izula-ii-black.html - They raised the price but when I ordered my Izula 2 they were $57, about half the price.

Those do look nice, but I'm happy with my Izula. I did a bunch of mods to it too, like stripping the coating, giving it a patina, painting the hardware black, hand contouring the scales, and of course giving it a thinner edge.

Shame both knives have a sharpening choil :p
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

sal wrote:

sal

wow! :eek: thats going to be awesome! these are going to be sprints im assuming? any info on the scales?? frn? g10? other? color??
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:58 pm
sal wrote:

sal

wow! :eek: thats going to be awesome! these are going to be sprints im assuming? any info on the scales?? frn? g10? other? color??
Not sure if it will be called a sprint or not but the previous Swick runs were all runs of about 500 pieces.

I am unsure if I will buy this but I am curious to see it. I have two Swick3s and two Swick4s and they are great knives for fishing, especially ice fishing.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?