Fluted Ti Grip for field use

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
lfootmatt

Fluted Ti Grip for field use

Post by lfootmatt »

Looking at a secondary market Fluted Ti Military for my son.

My EDC is an old school full SE CPM440V Millie. Love it, and it gets worked hard.

How grippy in comparison to the G10 scales is the fluted Ti? Gloved up, wet, cold, mud, etc...

Thanks,

Matt
ferider

Re: Fluted Ti Grip for field use

Post by ferider »

lfootmatt wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:07 pm
Looking at a secondary market Fluted Ti Military for my son.

My EDC is an old school full SE CPM440V Millie. Love it, and it gets worked hard.

How grippy in comparison to the G10 scales is the fluted Ti? Gloved up, wet, cold, mud, etc...

Thanks,

Matt

Hi Matt,

it's a good question, but I doubt you will get a proper answer here. I have several fluted Ti Militaries (with different blades), but don't use them in the dirt, they are more dress knives as the fluting is really gorgeous. If you hold it against the light, it literally shimmers .... therefore, I assume others baby their fluted Militaries just like I do ..... And that's not because of value: my goto work-knife these days is a standard Ti (non-fluted) Military with Cruwear blade. I use it in wet and dirt, and never had an issue with slipping or such. The framelock works well with gloves.

Now if I look at my Militaries as an engineer, the standard Ti handle is more slippy than the fluted Ti handle, which is more slippy than my G10 Militaries. But the Ti Militaries appear more robust, they are heavier and have a stronger lock, there is less steel to rust, and they are overall easier to clean than a G10 Military. Also, the "normal" Ti Military is heavier than the fluted one, which is heavier than the G10 version.

Note that there are two versions of the fluted Military: pre-2017 with T6 scale screws, screwed stop pin and aluminum backspacer. And post-2016 with T8 scale screws and steel standoffs, and floating stop pin. Stock, the newer one is more robust, I dislike the alu backspacer in the old one as the screw holes wear, but you can replace with aftermarket Ti stand-offs if you are so inclined.

Also, don't forget, on the secondary market there is a compromise: Spyderco did several Militaries with Ti on the lock side, and grippy Carbon FIber on the show side. The easiest one to find these days comes with s90v, which is my favorite stainless steel.

Roland.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'll second Roland's reccomendatin of the Ti/CF s90v Military. That is my favorite body, for sure, although I like the 204p blade a bit better. Coincidentally, weren't those both Knifeworks exclusives?

I've "grip tested" various configurations of the military, and my real recommendation to you would be to replace the stock scales on whatever knife you have (or buy) with Aramis scales (aratech.ru). Spyderco needs to do a collaboration with him on some kind of "scale exclusive" model or something. His work is really that good. I have his "stryker" scales on my 204p military, and the grip is substantially improved from any factory configuration I've tried. I haven't used his "wave" model, but I wonder if it has even better grip?

My gut feeling is that the shaping of the scale may actually have more to do with grip improvement than any amount if texture or material change, but I'm not sure of that. I just haven't tried enough different materials to have a fully formed opinion yet.

edit to add: I know lots of people who are wary of buying knives and parts from "eastern europe" but honestly I've had good experiences every time I've done that (which includes several customs). I've bought from Aramis on multiple occasions (spyderco scales and clips) and have been 100% happy with his product and customer service.
ferider

Post by ferider »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:28 am
... my real recommendation to you would be to replace the stock scales on whatever knife you have (or buy) with Aramis scales (aratech.ru)....
If that is an option for Matt, I very much recommend it too.
lfootmatt

Post by lfootmatt »

Thanks guys, I'll look at the CFTi version or maybe I'll get him an old school full SE 440v Millie like I carry.

Thanks again!

Matt
lfootmatt

Post by lfootmatt »

Ended up getting a smoking deal on a late Ti fluted Millie in NIB condition off blade forum.

Our middle son finished Beast Barracks, that's Cadet Basic Training at Army West Point, with the march back this AM. So proud of him.

Deserves a real man's knife. 4" of Ti and SS badness should do just fine!

Tall one on the left:

[img]]
https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/ws ... MIctxhanks![/img

Matt