What should I get?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ATC729

What should I get?

Post by ATC729 »

I'm thinking of purchasing a new knife. Max budget $140ish. I'm collecting orange handled knives, but I can't decide if I want to get an orange knife, Para 3 LW (don't have a Para 3), or a Benchmade Bugout. The only Spydies I have now are the Endura, Delica, Dragonfly, and Ladybug.

For reference, the orange knives I was thinking of are the Native 5 (hunt on eBay), Orange Zoma Endura, Spy-DK.

Thanks in advance!
SG89

Re: What should I get?

Post by SG89 »

What about the orange tenacious from cutlery shoppe?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Can never go wrong with orange!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
ATC729

Post by ATC729 »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:04 am
What about the orange tenacious from cutlery shoppe?
I've also thought about that one. I don't know how much interest I have in the Tenacious though.
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

I too love orange handled knives, with my CS exclusive Para 3 DLC being my favorite I own.

But, if you haven't tried the Bugout or Para 3 LW I would HIGHLY recommend getting either one or both.

They are two knives that I can't seem to quit carrying for my office EDC. Both are perfect size, weight, with great action and amazing pocket clips, especially the wire clip on the Para 3.

ImageUntitled by Caleb Bender, on Flickr

ImageUntitled by Caleb Bender, on Flickr
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Don't know if BURNT orange counts as "orange" for you, but out of the HAP40 sprints in this handle color at least Endura, Delica, Delica wharncliff, and Stretch 1 are still to be found, all for under 140, some even for under 100 USD.

Also don't know if you want another Seki backlock (I think they are great), but if so, I'd strongly recommend the Stretch 1 in HAP40 / burnt orange. Sadly it's discontinued, and for me probably the best general EDC folder ever.

I personally would not go Para 3, just for me the Delica clearly is the better knife in that size category (imho better lock, much better bladestock, and a good, roomy handle without having to choke up. But you still CAN without any problem on the Ricasso)

Never had a bugout.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Cscottsss wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:19 am
I too love orange handled knives, with my CS exclusive Para 3 DLC being my favorite I own.

But, if you haven't tried the Bugout or Para 3 LW I would HIGHLY recommend getting either one or both.

They are two knives that I can't seem to quit carrying for my office EDC.

Read your post just AFTER finishing my own previous one.
So it was NOT a reply to yours, and not my intention to "bash" the Para 3 you just recommended!! I am glad you like it (like many people do!), it's just not for me and I personally prefer the Delica by far.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ATC729

Post by ATC729 »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:24 am
Don't know if BURNT orange counts as "orange" for you, but out of the HAP40 sprints in this handle color at least Endura, Delica, Delica wharncliff, and Stretch 1 are still to be found, all for under 140, some even for under 100 USD.

Also don't know if you want another Seki backlock (I think they are great), but if so, I'd strongly recommend the Stretch 1 in HAP40 / burnt orange. Sadly it's discontinued, and for me probably the best general EDC folder ever.

I personally would not go Para 3, just for me the Delica clearly is the better knife in that size category (imho better lock, much better bladestock, and a good, roomy handle without having to choke up. But you still CAN without any problem on the Ricasso)

Never had a bugout.
I don't really like the burnt orange, BUT the Zome Orange Endura is HAP40!
ferider

Post by ferider »

If you are in no rush, just wait for the next cutlery shoppe exclusive. All their recent orange knives have been phenomenal, s90v LW Manix 2, XHP PM2 and PM3, etc. They all run easily over $200 used these days, but were within your budget when released. I suspect we will see an orange PM3 LW with XHP soon :)
Last edited by ferider on Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ATC729 wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:28 am
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:24 am

Never had a bugout.
I don't really like the burnt orange, BUT the Zome Orange Endura is HAP40!

I do like burnt orange a lot, but you're right, it's not "real orange" ;)

True, the zoome orange Endura is HAP 40, did not think about that!
Don't know about prices though.

And something to know: If you like to keep your blades shiny and unscratched, HAP40/ SUS410 is NOT for you. The outer layers of SUS410 will scratch up very fast and easily...(I personally don't mind, but even like that).
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I have owned the bugout and thought it was nice. Spyderco released the para 3 lw and i sold the bugout bc i greatly prefer the para 3 lw. Prefer para 3 lw bladeshape, grind, wire clip, and spyder hole. You could get the para 3 lw and an orange tenacious for $140ish. The tenacious really is a great knife for the price.
Spydergirl88
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Could always buy the Para 3 LW and RIT dye the scales orange. Well under $140 for a great LW knife with a very easy to sharpen steel that is also stainless.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
ATC729

Post by ATC729 »

ferider wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:29 am
If you are in no rush, just wait for the next cutlery shoppe exclusive. All their recent orange knives have been phenomenal, s90v LW Manix 2, XHP PM2 and PM3, etc. They all run easily over $200 used these days, but were within your budget when released. I suspect we will see an orange PM3 LW with XHP soon :)
I'm planning on getting that orange Para 3 LW regardless of cost. Lol. But it could be coming in weeks, months, or years by the time it's released.
ATC729

Post by ATC729 »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:46 am
I have owned the bugout and thought it was nice. Spyderco released the para 3 lw and i sold the bugout bc i greatly prefer the para 3 lw. Prefer para 3 lw bladeshape, grind, wire clip, and spyder hole. You could get the para 3 lw and an orange tenacious for $140ish. The tenacious really is a great knife for the price.
I like where your head is at! Why get one?
ATC729

Post by ATC729 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:49 am
Could always buy the Para 3 LW and RIT dye the scales orange. Well under $140 for a great LW knife with a very easy to sharpen steel that is also stainless.
If I could lighten black to then be colored orange, that would be a very good possibility. But I'm not sure how to get black to orange
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:49 am
I think rit dye only goes darker. Could get any of the natural jade g10 bhq models and dye those.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Tenacious has more cutting edge bc it doesn't have a choil. The steel isn't the greatest but it's not too bad. Easy to sharpen. G10 with stainless liners would be nice change of pace from your usual frn knives unless you strongly prefer frn.
Spydergirl88
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Try and save a bit more and get a Subvert!
Attachments
DDAF87BB-E60A-4F9E-AE6F-C4C52420CD94.png
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
vivi

Post by vivi »

For something wildly different than another 3-3.5" folder, you can bump your budget up a few $$, and hunt around for one of these bad boys :D

If you have yet to purchase a serrated Spyderco, you really should! This one would be great to learn how to sharpen with if you're unfamiliar with sharpening serrated knives, since it's a mere $20:

I'd highly recommend getting one of these in addition to whatever else you settle on. They're great for stashing in the car for emergencies or using as a beater for tasks you'd rather not subject your nicer knives to.
Last edited by vivi on Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
:unicorn
ATC729

Post by ATC729 »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:09 am
Tenacious has more cutting edge bc it doesn't have a choil. The steel isn't the greatest but it's not too bad. Easy to sharpen. G10 with stainless liners would be nice change of pace from your usual frn knives unless you strongly prefer frn.
I don't have much experience with G10, so it might be good