Military 2. What exactly is going on?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: Military 2. What exactly is going on?

Post by vivi »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:13 pm
ferider wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:15 am
Would rather Spyderco release a CQI'ed CW Manix XL. I know, you've heard it before :)
Change the Manix XL to a compression lock and I would be totally on board with that.

I suppose this would be a Para 4, but with a different blade shape.

I am now in the camp of "leave the Military alone, it ain't broke, don't fix it". I used to itch for tip up carry, but that itch seems to have gone away.
That would be a step back for the Manix series IMO. Backlock or CBBL.
:unicorn
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:11 pm
Tucson Tom wrote:
ferider wrote:
Would rather Spyderco release a CQI'ed CW Manix XL. I know, you've heard it before :)
Change the Manix XL to a compression lock and I would be totally on board with that.

I am now in the camp of "leave the Military alone, it ain't broke, don't fix it". I used to itch for tip up carry, but that itch seems to have gone away.
I agree with Vivi. I'll go further and say that we have enough comp lock models.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tucson Tom wrote:
ferider wrote:

Please!!! Not ANOTHER comp.lock knife (and one CBBL knife less)!
Plus especially the Manix XL appears to be (much like I said before for the Millie) an outdoorsy, real user in every scenario, with cold, wet fingers, gloves on, also for big hands and thick fingers ...-knife. Not the realm of the comp.lock imho.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I like comp locks on smaller knives. I don't think it would suit the manix XL considering the weight of the blade. Detent becomes more of an issue, and I wouldn't want Itty bitty washers (mandatory on all comp locks) on a knife that big and that capable of hard use.

If we were to see a Para 4 with a 4 inch blade (basically a millie blade), the comp lock would probably be the go-to option simply because of the pm2 and Para 3. I think a comp lock would both work and sell, but at that blade length other locks begin to make more sense also. But sales would/should probably dictate the answer.

Above all else, I'd like to see more models with scales that are rounded off like the Shaman. Kind of like what Pancake did to his Chief. It's a big improvement ergonomically compared to squared off edges with sharp corners.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:14 pm
Vivi wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:11 pm
Tucson Tom wrote:
ferider wrote:

I agree with Vivi. I'll go further and say that we have enough comp lock models.
Please stop destroying great models with Compression locks!
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

Lot of folks here will never want the Military to change, because for them it's a perfect design. There are a lot of Spyderco customers who just don't feel the same though, because we all have different preferences. For example, the tip down only configuration leaves my right hand susceptible to jimping scrapes; also, the Military is the only Spyderco I own that has opened in my pocket. That tip down only means no pocket seam to ensure closure. So for these reasons enough, I think it is justified to at least offer a 4 way clip option.
So, lots of forum members here like to take liberties in telling other members how to enjoy their knives, and even how to spend their money. "Just buy a Police 4, its a better knife and so why make a Millie 2?" or "Buy a Native Chief, its basically a back lock Military."
SMH
Well, I went ahead and tried both of those knives anyway. The Police 4 was nothing like a Military, in my hand. No straight spine and super pointy tip either. Sold it in less than a month, it was not a good knife, for me, and I'm not sorry for my opinion. Hey, I bought a Chief the other week. Super sweet fit and finish, nice pointy tip, great G10 with no liners... yet its nothing like the Military in terms of ergonomics. There is just no sweet spot for my hand on the Chief, and so that one is gonna find a new home soon too. All I can say is, I really like the Military, but it has some flaws that may mean nothing to one consumer, but to another is the reason it lives in the Spyderpac most of its life.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I've gotta say you guys have been missing the point of the thread.

This thread is not....

Asking for a Military 2 to be designed.

Asking for the Military 1 to be discontinued.

Asking for a new model to be made.

Asking for tweaks to be made to an existing model.

The purpose of my thread is very simple:

The Military 2 has been discussed for a long time. For over 15 years.

Sal stated at one point that it has been designed, and they made a new lock for the design (Which is featured in the Parata).

I am asking for an update on the status of this existing design.

If you like the Military as is, that's nice, but that has nothing to do with me asking about the status of a different model.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Pancake wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:49 am
Vivi wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:45 am
I honestly can't tell you the last time I even heard an update. I think it was 9 years ago.
And then BANG! Next reveal will bring us a Military 2 with Stop lock. :D
I have the stop lock on the Parata and would not want it on the military. The lock is solid no doubt about it and very strong can't see it being practical though for one handed opening at all.

The Military 2 in my book needs to be a Gasp Liner-less, (oh no I said it LINERELESS) lock-back with a 4 position clip....

(The Native Chief proved this works well and is strong)

and maybe carve a little off the scales toward where the tip rests when closed other than that not much that can be done to improve on a pretty perfect design.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:22 pm
Pancake wrote:
Vivi wrote:
I honestly can't tell you the last time I even heard an update. I think it was 9 years ago.
I have the stop lock on the Parata and would not want it on the military. The lock is solid no doubt about it and very strong can't see it being practical though for one handed opening at all.
I haven't used the stop lock yet. You're saying not only do you find it difficult to close one handed, but opening too? I already read some comments on another website about it being tough to close one handed. I'll have to look for a shop that has one in stock.
amateur blacksmith

Post by amateur blacksmith »

I like the military like it's currently made, and would like to echo what others say. I wouldn't be against more contoured models like the fluted titanium model but please leave the rest alone. If you want compression lock knives or tip up, buy something else.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

P. A. R. A. 4.

4 for 4 inch blade

/thread
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
ferider

Post by ferider »

The Military 2 in my book needs to be a Gasp Liner-less, (oh no I said it LINERELESS) lock-back with a 4 position clip....
You guys all need to try the Chinook 4. That power lock rocks. I wouldn't mind a "Military 2" using that one. You know my opinion on liners.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Bdubs808 wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:47 am
So, lots of forum members here like to take liberties in telling other members how to enjoy their knives, and even how to spend their money. "Just buy a Police 4, its a better knife and so why make a Millie 2?" or "Buy a Native Chief, its basically a back lock Military."
SMH
Well, I went ahead and tried both of those knives anyway. The Police 4 was nothing like a Military, in my hand.
I don't know who SMH is, but hold on a minute. I certainly take liberties about telling people how I feel about knives, but I wouldn't go so far as to say I tell anyone how to spend their money. I've recommended restaurants to people and had them come back and tell me it sucks. Everyone has different tastes and that is certainly true about knives. I don't have an operational crystal ball, so all I can do is tell people what I think about different knives, and I never expect anyone to take anything I say as more than just my own opinion (excellent though it is of course).

As for the Police 4 versus the Military, they are as different as night and day -- but they are both fine knives and I (that is me, and I'm only speaking for me), anyway I like them both quite well in their own ways. Sometimes I am in the mood for one, sometimes the other.

I still think changing the Manix XL to a compression lock would be a great idea, but a lot of people disagree with me -- which is of course surprising, but there is nothing I can do about it. My opinions are rarely unanimously endorsed.

I don't know a thing about the power lock, but if it is hard to open one handed, I'm not interested. But this may be a rumor starting.
ferider

Post by ferider »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:27 pm
I don't know a thing about the power lock, but if it is hard to open one handed, I'm not interested. But this may be a rumor starting.
Its looks and handles like a backlock, but is _easier_ to open one-handed, Tom. As the second (small front) lock lever takes the main thumb lever pressure (instead of the blade), it functions like a transmission. Easier for me to flick Chinook 4 than Endura (assuming both have centered blades). Feels magic :) And lock safety is perfect for a hard use knife.

Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

ferider wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:35 pm
Tucson Tom wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:27 pm
Its looks and handles like a backlock, but is _easier_ to open one-handed, Tom. As the second (small front) lock lever takes the main thumb lever pressure (instead of the blade), it functions like a transmission. Easier for me to flick Chinook 4 than Endura (assuming both have centered blades). Feels magic :) And lock safety is perfect for a hard use knife.
Interesting, and thanks. Looking at that photo, the main thought that goes through my mind is that there is extra complexity in the design by adding that intermediate piece and its pivot. So unless there is some significant benefit, the smart knife manufacturer would just stick with the back lock. There are of course people chasing the "latest new thing", but I don't think Spyderco plays those sorts of games.
vivi

Post by vivi »

You guys know theres already a lock chosen for the Military 2, right?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Comp locks are great, but definitely getting played out and ruled by fidgeters. I love the CBBL, or the assuring snap of a backlock. I'm curious about this stop lock though...
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Vivi wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:52 pm
Pancake wrote:
Vivi wrote:
I haven't used the stop lock yet. You're saying not only do you find it difficult to close one handed, but opening too? I already read some comments on another website about it being tough to close one handed. I'll have to look for a shop that has one in stock.
Oops darn dyslexia getting me again meant one handed closing.

Almost impossible to close one handed on the parata. It is an incredible lock in all other regards.

Releasing in use is nearly impossible on the Parata has a very strong spring as well it should. Great design strong. One handed release no.

One handed opening is easy on the Parata you have to dig a little with the tip and edge of your thumb to get the Spydi hole but I find it acceptable.

FYI the Parata has no defects as the Ikuchi does nor the Tropen it is a safe user experience. This one was well vetted before release.
Last edited by Doeswhateveraspidercan on Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Vivi wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:53 pm
No I don’t what is it?
vivi

Post by vivi »

Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:04 pm
Vivi wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:53 pm
No I don’t what is it?
Somewhere between 15-10 years ago there was a patent released for the lock that the Military 2 was designed to use. The stop lock.

Today that lock is available in a production knife and not just patent drawings. I was under the impression working out the lock was the hold up on releasing the Military 2.

So with the stop lock being on the market with no update on the Military 2 in years, it begs the question I asked: What happened to this model?

That's why I'm saying this thread IS NOT about a new model. I am asking about a model that was being discussed here back between 2005-2009.