Strange question: What level of expertise would it take to "extend the blade length" on a Spyderco knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Strange question: What level of expertise would it take to "extend the blade length" on a Spyderco knife?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Obviously if you want to shorten the blade or modify it by cutting away excess, unwanted metal, that can be done. But, what if you purchase a Spyderco knife (folder or fixed blade), and are not satisfied with the presently-available blade length, what options are available with present machining technology if you want someone to add more of the same type of steel to it, either to make the blade longer, or thicker, or something else?

Here is an example: Let's say a Spyderco customer goes ahead and purchases a Dragon Fly. He or she loves the design, loves the handle, but, wants a blade that is 3.5 or four or even, say, five inches long. Obviously, Spyderco will not do that at this time. Could they send that Dragon Fly to the proper company and request that they somehow weld or forge and then grind and shape the extra metal to the existing blade?

And if that can be done, would you trust the end product or would it possibly be weaker and not as strong as the originally-manufactured knife? And if it could be done, would you like that option?
tonijedi

Re: Strange question: What level of expertise would it take to "extend the blade length" on a Spyderco knife?

Post by tonijedi »

Man... you have the best questions on the whole internet!!!
Enactive

Re: Strange question: What level of expertise would it take to "extend the blade length" on a Spyderco knife?

Post by Enactive »

The clearly better solution would be to make a new blade. The real question is how would you fold the 5 inch blade into the Dfly handle? :eek:

I know of at least one folder with an extending handle/ blade cover to safely accommodate a blade longer than the handle.

Time for a fixed blade to get that sort of blade: handle ratio?
Last edited by Enactive on Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Yea, making a new blade would be the better option and probably cheaper as well. Sure, welding a new piece on, grinding it, redoing the heat treat... And then you still will have a weld line, which may not be aesthetically pleasing. Plus, probably wouldn't be as strong as a new, one piece blade.

But, I'm not a bladesmith so take it with a grain of salt!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Tims

Post by Tims »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:04 pm
Obviously if you want to shorten the blade or modify it by cutting away excess, unwanted metal, that can be done. But, what if you purchase a Spyderco knife (folder or fixed blade), and are not satisfied with the presently-available blade length, what options are available with present machining technology if you want someone to add more of the same type of steel to it, either to make the blade longer, or thicker, or something else?

Here is an example: Let's say a Spyderco customer goes ahead and purchases a Dragon Fly. He or she loves the design, loves the handle, but, wants a blade that is 3.5 or four or even, say, five inches long. Obviously, Spyderco will not do that at this time. Could they send that Dragon Fly to the proper company and request that they somehow weld or forge and then grind and shape the extra metal to the existing blade?

And if that can be done, would you trust the end product or would it possibly be weaker and not as strong as the originally-manufactured knife? And if it could be done, would you like that option?
I would try and put all that energy into getting comfortable with compromise. You could practise with knives and then progress onto things like women.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If you REALLY know what you're doing with custom work you could just put a larger blade from a different knife in.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Extending the blade length of a folding knife would most likely require a pretty extensive redesign of the whole knife.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
marty_bill_

Post by marty_bill_ »

I just go to Home Depot and get a Blade stretcher. Works perfectly.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:04 pm
Fly to the proper company and request that they somehow weld or forge and then grind and shape the extra metal to the existing blade
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Well certainly the The technology exists to Lengthen a blade. One thinks about how Kershaw manage to join two types of metals together to form blades on some of their knives with a little copper wire between the types of steel or no wire at all. This appears to be fairly strong and this is only one way. There are other ways as well without having to re-forge the blade. However as a practical matter it would be better just to make another blade.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

https://youtu.be/urxz0d9IXOM?t=22s

In this case, there may be a few options.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Why in the world would anyone want to do that?!
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
anycal

Post by anycal »

PM2 blade on Para 3. Obviously it doesn’t fit the handle closed, but it would make for a cool little fixed blade in this configuration.

Peter
standy99

Post by standy99 »

You can seamless weld any stainless steel

https://youtu.be/qOXmEdhWP54
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
yoteslayer

Post by yoteslayer »

Wow, is all I can say.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Seems like a crazy question if you take it as folders only, but the OP didn't specify folders. If the enuff had a blade 1 inch longer I'd probably own 2 already.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

anycal wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:10 am
PM2 blade on Para 3. Obviously it doesn’t fit the handle closed, but it would make for a cool little fixed blade in this configuration.

Yes yes yes... It's not a "complaint" per se (not at all), but if I could change only one thing about the virtually perfect PM2, it would be to lengthen the blade/equalize the blade-to-handle ratio, and what you've got right there just looks KILLER :cool: So is the only issue with your mod that the blade is too long for the handle? The pivot/tang/lockup fits and functions as it should?
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Pelagic wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:10 pm
... If the enuff had a blade 1 inch longer I'd probably own 2 already.

Even HALF an inch more blade would be "enuff" for me and I´d purchase one.
But as it is: Just too short.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:17 pm
anycal wrote:
Yes yes yes... It's not a "complaint" per se (not at all), but if I could change only one thing about the virtually perfect PM2, it would be to lengthen the blade.....

I would do so on the Stretch 2 and on the Endela too if I could... they could both easily fit 5 or 6 mm more blade in the handle, which I personally would really like (though I have to admit: Just by it´s looks the Endela is perfectly balanced as it is. Functionwise a longer blade would make it even better nevertheless).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:21 pm
JonLeBlanc wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:17 pm
anycal wrote:
Yes yes yes... It's not a "complaint" per se (not at all), but if I could change only one thing about the virtually perfect PM2, it would be to lengthen the blade.....

I would do so on the Stretch 2 and on the Endela too if I could... they could both easily fit 5 or 6 mm more blade in the handle, which I personally would really like (though I have to admit: Just by it´s looks the Endela is perfectly balanced as it is. Functionwise a longer blade would make it even better nevertheless).
Yep I agree
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara