EDC, or rotation?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Do you have an EDC, or a rotation?

I carry the same knife every day
28%
I carry the same model every day, but rotate between different versions
7%
I rotate which knife I carry at least once a week
40%
I rotate which knife I carry daily
25%

Total votes: 83

Wartstein

Re: EDC, or rotation?

Post by Wartstein »

marty_bill_ wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:33 pm
....the Native Chief and really like everything about it. The shape, ergos, and backlock are all a win for me. I got so use to that backlock that anything else is sub par....
Always glad when someone speaks out for the backlock...
A bit ot, but your post is just such a good example for what I believe most real knife users would say when carrying (and using!) a backlock knife for a longer period of time.

To come back to the topic of the thread again: I already stated that I generally rotate (just) between Endura 4, Stretch 1 and now Endela SE.

But I almost never "rotate" between locks, it's almost always a backlock.
And always a quite light knife.
And always a steel not too hard to sharpen.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JaxBaron

Post by JaxBaron »

I rotate my EDC. Living in Florida and being a avid saltwater/ freshwater fisherman the Spydiechef and Caribbean get carried the most. I love not having to worry about rust while I’m up to waist in Saltwater. So far they both have been excellent.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Voted option 2, but it's really a mixed bag for me. I've carried the exact same Micarta Jester on my key ring since '03 I have 70 or so Kiwis, any one of which has found itself in my coin pocket almost every day since '03. I've also carried one of half dozen or so variants and custonized versions of the Stretch most days since it first came out in '04, but have to leave it at home in favor of a Chaparral, Native, or Centofante Memory when heading into the city of Greenville.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

Most days I’ve got my translucent blue Manix LW on me, but some days I’ll carry a Lil’ Native or a D2 steel flipper to mix it up.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
Luke2236

Post by Luke2236 »

Nothing has kicked my beloved GB1 out of my pocket yet. The knife must have been made for me lol. However there are a couple upcoming exclusives that just might make me at least add another Spyderco to a pocket.
Wanted: M4 PM 2 or manix M4.
DrawBackwards

Post by DrawBackwards »

Cool question: I’ve been wondering about this lately - so it feels timely. I’ve tried 5-10 models over the past several years, but for a while it has felt odd if there isn’t a Manix in my pocket. Sometimes I have a Caly as a 2nd, but pretty much always one of the pair of Manixes I own.

-Ward
bwunger

Post by bwunger »

I rarely carry the same knife 2 days in a row. I like to mix it up. There are certain ones that rotate in more often though.
Current collection: ZDP-189 Delica 4, S110V PM2, St. Nick's 4v Para 3, H1 sheepsfoot Manbug, Kapara, VG-10 Dragonfly, ATS-55 Serrated Delica, ZDP-189 MT04 (not broken yet) + Other non spydercos.
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

I rarely carry the same knife for more than 3 days in a row. As others have mentioned, variety is the spice.

I have quite a lot of knives, very few of which are mint collectors items so I can rotate through a few knives that I enjoy carrying, using, sharpening and owning.

So far this year I have carried 65 different knives by 22 makers (Spyderco second most popular maker) in 25 different steels ... it's a bit sad that I have this information on a spreadsheet :o ;)
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:05 am
Life is too short not to rotate.

I'm with you. I pick, and lay out a weeks worth of knives, on Sunday night. Seven knives, to be carried for the next seven days.
My knives, last me a veeeeery long time. :D
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Mostly carry Enduras but often choose different versions mostly for the different steel choice. I do have and carry others when needed but usually in addition to Enduras. I feel strange without one.
kreisler

Post by kreisler »

i edc the same knife everyday, i found my dream knife and hope it will last me a lifetime. not much maintenance needed, the model has very few parts, none of them flimsy
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

I carry a dragonfly at work, and on weekends I rotate through my other Spydies. I will occasionally rotate in a knife from a different brand, but always go back to Spyderco.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

I used to rotate. Then last year's discontinued list forced me to buy the Sage 2 I'd been waiting on. Now it's basically all I carry. I'll grab my Spydiechef if I'm going out on a friend's boat, or otherwise want something even more rust resistant than the Sage 2. Once the Sage 5 LW is available direct from Spyderco for OpFocus purchasers I'll grab one of those, and probably fall into the same knife - different versions crowd.