Parata Finally

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
holeshot

Re: Parats

Post by holeshot »

Well, mine came today. I am very impressed by the appearance but somewhat disappointed in the functionality. I have all of Paul’s other designs and this one is the least smooth opening and closing of the lot. Blade can be thumb flicked open but the blade on mine will not free fall after disengagement of the lock. The lock is also a little stiff. I’m hopeful this will change with use. Don’t get me wrong it’s still a keeper and the looks for me are killer. :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
JD Spydo

Re: Parata Finally

Post by JD Spydo »

jdw wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:54 pm
Other than a Stretch I would never trust a knife out of Seki for skinning anything.
Really seriously!!!??? Two years ago I got to skin a deer with my C-60 Ayoob model and it was almost like "un-zipping" the hide off that deer. I've found that most any knife with some "belly" on it seems to do a good job of skinning.

Now I wouldn't want to use this "Parata" model for skinning because for my uses it just seems a bit big for the skinning jobs I normally do. I do tend to like the design though. This model seems to remind me of the old Vincent Price movie called "The Pit & The Pendulum" >> the blade on this bad boy look eerily similar to the blade used in that movie.

Now I will admit that I am tending to agree with the guys that want to move on from VG-10. VG-10 has been used on Spyderco models since 1997 that I know of ( the first fixed blade MORAN model). Now I'm not anti-VG-10 like some of the guys who commented on the video>> but to me with all the new blade steels out there and with as good of results as HAP-40 has had I say it's just time to move on to something new and better. Oh I won't be getting rid of any of my VG-10 Spyderco blades>> My TEMP 1 models are still my favorite Spyderco fixed blades of all time. But I'm just curious to see what different steels that the Japan steel makers have to offer us. Really it's past time when you think about it IMO.
jdw

Post by jdw »

Hi JD. I have never owned an Ayoob but I would I would love to try one. Mainly my post was about the degeneration of quality out of Seki and is just my subjective opinion. In talking about dressing game, we already kinda hashed that out. Just to be simple and blunt, like SG88 pointed out, organs, blood, fat, hair, all contribute to lock failure but if I remember correctly the Ayoob is a backlock, made at a time when Seki still produced outstanding quality, so it checks the boxes.

As for the Parata. I think it's a really cool knife and I may give one a try, but for salami slicing and such. I have been buying Spydies for too long to give up on Seki knives due to a couple of off years. :D
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

I prefer fixed blades for game processing - easier to keep clean. But the Parata looks to me like a semi-Ulu with a folding handle. That seems like a pretty functional blade shape for slicing action.
Marko

Post by Marko »

Was really curious about this design since it first surfaced. I haven’t handle any of Paul's previous designs but they all looked really well thought, especially the Ouroboros. After seeing the video and size, this is a hard pass for me. I’m gonna continue to save for a Drunken and wait to see the next model that incorporates the Stop Lock.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

For me there's a lot to like in this knife:

- Just enough edge in a very light package.
- I think I'd like the stop lock
- VG10 is just fine
- Quite thin stock (3mm) in a tall blade should make for a very slicey knife just by geometry

If the design / shape would work for me and my hand?
No idea. It's so unique, I'd have to try it...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
juggler

Post by juggler »

I really like the "out of the box" design and I'm intrigued by the Stop Lock, but from a practical standpoint I'm not sure the blade shape would work for me. The jury is still out on that one.
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunately, it kills all its pupils.
Accutronman

Post by Accutronman »

Mine came today and while I like the knife, it’s impossible to get the clip screw out to change sides. Supposedly, a T-8, but neither screw will budge. Called SFO and they pulled a Parata off the shelf and confirmed it’s way too hard. Mine is going back.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Parata came in today. Broke down a bunch of boxes and opened some pallets then did some kitchen work.

1st impression it came in sharp but I can get it sharper.

Ergonomics are good. Handle locks in the hand solidly.

Stop Lock WOW!! Secure very solid I like it!

The blade should be excellent for skinning it looks bigger in pictures than it really is.

The stop lock should have no problem with guts fur etc...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:50 pm
Parata came in today. Broke down a bunch of boxes and opened some pallets then did some kitchen work.

1st impression it came in sharp but I can get it sharper.

Ergonomics are good. Handle locks in the hand solidly.

Stop Lock WOW!! Secure very solid I like it!

The blade should be excellent for skinning it looks bigger in pictures than it really is.

The stop lock should have no problem with guts fur etc...
One question, if I may: Does the handle not feel quite thin in the index - / middle finger area? So maybe even a bit like the handle is not very stable in your hand and prone to turning? Just courious, never held a Parata, it just looks very thin / narrow in the front part of the handle
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Question to all who already have the Parata:

Spydercos site states: Blade length: 3.41" (87mm), edge length: 3.10" (79mm)

So the actual cutting edge is shorter than the blade; that´s true obviously, if you measure in a straight, horizontal line from where the edge starts on the blade to the tip.

BUT: If you take into consideration that huge belly, the actual edge certainly must be LONGER then the blade is, right? Could anyone measure the actual edge length FOLLOWING the curve of the blade (so maybe take some cord, aligne it with the edge, than measure the cord length stretched out with a ruler)?
Last edited by Wartstein on Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

The knife really starts to interest me more and more (though it is really too expensive for me):

I already posted some of the points I like in it (just enough edge in a very light package.I think I'd like the stop lock, VG10 is just fine, quite thin stock (3mm) in a tall blade should make for a very slicey knife just by geometry)

Additionally
- it looks like quite a small package, even not THAT wide when closed, that still gives you a whole lot of edge (if you take the huge belly into account)
- it should be great for food prep on the road (perfect for cutting on a board, for you can easily use the whole length of the edge; very tall/wide blade, good for spreading stuff on sandwiches, or cutting things like tomatoes)

Still, as sad, for that price point not for me (in Europe 275 Euros, which equals to 307 USD....)
Foundry81

Post by Foundry81 »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:55 am

So the actual cutting edge is shorter than the blade; that´s true obviously, if you measure in a straight, horizontal line from where the edge starts on the blade to the tip.

BUT: If you take into consideration that huge belly, the actual edge certainly must be LONGER then the blade is, right? Could anyone measure the actual edge length FOLLOWING the curve of the blade (so maybe take some cord, aligne it with the edge, than measure the cord length stretched out with a ruler)?
I came up with 3.625", or 290 mm. I rocked the belly of a blade on a sheet of paper measuring the distances between where the heel of the blade contacted and where the tip of the blade contacted.
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

Accutronman wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:06 pm
Mine came today and while I like the knife, it’s impossible to get the clip screw out to change sides. Supposedly, a T-8, but neither screw will budge. Called SFO and they pulled a Parata off the shelf and confirmed it’s way too hard. Mine is going back.
I to experienced the same problem. Did you purchase yours from SFO or from another dealer? I’m debating whether to send mine back to DLT or back to Spyderco for servicing. I could just leave the wire clip in since it’s on the right side for me but I wanted to put an RG clip on. I really do like the knife but for what it cost the clip should come off easier. :(
"No matter where you go, there you are"
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Foundry81 wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:53 am
Wartstein wrote:

I came up with 3.625", or 290 mm. I rocked the belly of a blade on a sheet of paper measuring the distances between where the heel of the blade contacted and where the tip of the blade contacted.

Thanks! But I if I may correct: 3.625" equal to around 9.2 mm.
Regardless, the actual edge you get is quite long when calcularing the belly. At least half of an inch longer than the 3.10 stated on Spydercos site. Impressive!

Half the price and I'd give it a try probably...
Foundry81

Post by Foundry81 »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:24 am
Foundry81 wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

Regardless, the actual edge you get is quite long when calcularing the belly. At least half of an inch longer than the 3.10 stated on Spydercos site. Impressive!

Yeah, I see I goofed up on that conversion :rolleyes:
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Foundry81 wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:30 am
Wartstein wrote:
Foundry81 wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

Yeah, I see I goofed up on that conversion :rolleyes:

But you did choose a much smarter method for measuring the edge length than the one I suggested!! :)
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Wartstein wrote:
...and if I may correct: 92 mm ;)
-Turbo
archangel

Post by archangel »

Where are the pictures?! Show us your new beauties!!
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

bbturbodad wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:33 am
Wartstein wrote:
...and if I may correct: 92 mm ;)

:p :p You are right of course!! Just three three tries by three different people, and it's correct yet... :D