"Most Durable" available Spyderco Knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
VashHash

Re: "Most Durable" available Spyderco Knife?

Post by VashHash »

tonijedi wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:20 pm
VashHash wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:34 am
Probably anything in H1 and frn.
This.
PE is more durable than SE, at least my experience leads me to that.
I've had good experience with both but I carry and abuse SE H1. More than PE.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

The Tuff was designed to be well...tough, wasn't it?
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

My guess would be the rock salt.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:51 am
Definitely something in H1 and a fixed blade. I'd imagine an Enuff is nearly indestructible. They're fairly thick and short so you can only put so much leverage on them, compared to something 10 inches long that is much easier to bend if you really lean on it.

Enuff Salt gets my vote as well.

For a folder, I'd say one with thick blade stock and steel liners. Maybe something from the value line.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Rock Salt would get my vote aswell.

Folder? I wouldn't trade my Caribbean for anything :)

I'd like to have a Rock Salt in LC200N.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

The Meat man wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:57 pm
For a folder, I'd say one with thick blade stock and steel liners. Maybe something from the value line.
Starmate?
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Durability... You mean a Spydie’s promise to continue performing as intended during and after stressful cutting tasks, or an actual history of such results?

This distinction matters.

My Shamans, stout as they are, sure show promise to be the “most durable” in my collection, but I have yet to challenge either my S30V or M4 versions.

So, I have to say that my most abused Spydie—a PE Pacific Salt—has proven to be my “most durable”. In fact, it’s a better performer now than when I gave up on it. Let me explain.

Before Vivi and Surfingringo convinced me that plain-edge H1 needed its own sharpening protocol to be the reliable cutter we all want, I had consigned my ever-dulling PE Pacific Salt to a bucket of gardening tools.

For five years or so, I carelessly plunged it into my lawns and garden beds to dig out weeds; sometimes I used its dulled edge to improve the edging between lawn and bed. So, lots of abrasion (against soil particulates) of the blade, as well as torquing, if not actual prying; and rarely did I dry, let alone clean it.

Going 15dps at the moment (the 10dps I recall Vivi advising comes next) without a micro-bevel off the Sharpmaker’s diamond triangles, then just a few very light passes over the browns to preserve the coarse bevel has brought my PE Pacific Salt back to a cutter of respectable duration that I wanted it to be in the first place.

And the knife has cleaned up such that it looks to have been only lightly used since I got it years ago

Durable, I’d say.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

The knife that comes in the box. ;)

ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

The Meat man wrote:
Evil D wrote:
Definitely something in H1 and a fixed blade. I'd imagine an Enuff is nearly indestructible. They're fairly thick and short so you can only put so much leverage on them, compared to something 10 inches long that is much easier to bend if you really lean on it.

I've had a couple of Spydies with liners that developed pretty bad rust on the liners between the scales and the liners. When the Sage 5 LW finally hits the market I'll give linered Spydies another chance. Value line? You're kidding, right? 8Cr13MoV isn't very corrosion resistant, and liner locks aren't near as strong as most other lock types.

For those who like the Carribean, lets see how those LC200N liners hold up. There was that Mule with the Halpern G10 (or were they CF?) scales that rusted. I've read that it was likely cross contamination from another material on the belt used to finish the surface of the scales, but I don't now that Spyderco ever released an official culprit, if they even found one.

My folder bets would be on a linerless, FRN handle, Salt folder: Or the best Salt folder made so far, the Spydiechef.
vivi

Post by vivi »

ugaarguy wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:44 am
The Meat man wrote:
Evil D wrote:

I've had a couple of Spydies with liners that developed pretty bad rust on the liners between the scales and the liners. When the Sage 5 LW finally hits the market I'll give linered Spydies another chance. Value line? You're kidding, right? 8Cr13MoV isn't very corrosion resistant, and liner locks aren't near as strong as most other lock types.

For those who like the Carribean, lets see how those LC200N liners hold up. There was that Mule with the Halpern G10 (or were they CF?) scales that rusted. I've read that it was likely cross contamination from another material on the belt used to finish the surface of the scales, but I don't now that Spyderco ever released an official culprit, if they even found one.

My folder bets would be on a linerless, FRN handle, Salt folder: Or the best Salt folder made so far, the Spydiechef.
The stainless or g10 cara caras, especially the first version, are very stout folders.
:unicorn
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

You've got to be trying really hard to do damage to an FRN Delica or Endura- full steel liners, sabre ground blades and a solid backlock.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

demoncase wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:37 am
You've got to be trying really hard to do damage to an FRN Delica or Endura- full steel liners, sabre ground blades and a solid backlock.

+1 (especially - as said - for the sabre ground versions)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

I’d say an Enuff Salt. As others have said, it’s the super tough H1 steel mixed with a short, thick fixed blade.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
kreisler

Post by kreisler »

techno 2 has thick handles titanium and thick blade , big screws, big washers. pocket clip is wire but inexpensive to replace. should be very durable no?
N. Brian Huegel

Post by N. Brian Huegel »

It would be easier to create a short of those that wouldn't rate as "most durable". Spyderco's standards are so high on everything they make and have made that the short list would be very short especially when one considers application.

brian
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Most durable Spyderco I have is the Jumpmaster 2. It's a beast.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

ugaarguy wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:44 am
The Meat man wrote:
Evil D wrote:

Most durable doesn't necessarily mean most corrosion resistant.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

David, if Spyderco were to make an Enuff Salt with a four inch long blade and a sharper point, with serrated edge, would you get one and consider it a serious survival blade?
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

My nominations:

The backlock Manix (now discontinued).
The Shaman

This reminds me again that I need to pick up a Jumpmaster one of these days.

Honorable mention:

any Mule (maybe even any fixed blade)
any Manix 2

I'm not really thinking at all about steels, but overall design and construction.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:07 pm
My nominations:

The backlock Manix (now discontinued).
The Shaman
A backlock Shaman would be even better concerning monster- durability...

Don't get me wrong, the existing Shaman is way more than strong enough, and though I prefer a backlock generally, it's comp. lock is very strong too..

But when it comes to totally unnecessary, never needed in real-even-hard-use, crazy strength, the added steel on the back of the handle and the general strength of a backlock would make the Shaman a total tank (again, more than anybody would ever need. It's just a mind game how the strongest possible folder might look like).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)