Buggs Bunny hanging out

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Ankerson

Buggs Bunny hanging out

Post by Ankerson »

D750 - Nikon 70-300mm F4.5 - F5.6 ED VR.

Cropped for size.

Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Buggs Bunny hanging out

Post by Doc Dan »

Something got its ear.

They make good pets. We used to catch them and tame them...easily done. They are so sweet and loving.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:39 pm
Something got its ear.

They make good pets. We used to catch them and tame them...easily done. They are so sweet and loving.

We have a few around the house, the ones that the hawks didn't get.
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

Fryin' size.....add gravy and biscuits
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

We’re supposed to have them here in New Hampshire. Haven’t seen a one in my semi-rural neck of the woods.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Very adorable creature. I have read that people cannot live on rabbit meat for long because of lack of a certain nutrient.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:11 pm
Very adorable creature. I have read that people cannot live on rabbit meat for long because of lack of a certain nutrient.
Lack of fat in the meat.you have to have some fat to metabolize nutrients.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

The Spanish mother of one of my good friends cooked his childhood pet rabbit in a paella ....
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

My girl had to put her cat down a couple months ago (poor Precious). Now she's out in the back yard everyday feeding a baby bunny. She even call the thing and taps the bowl on the patio and sure enough it comes running over.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Cool shots Jim,

Looks exactly like the feral rabbits we have here. They’re a foreign pest and can be often found in suburban parks.

They’re always around to some extent and the weather conditions seem to determine the saturation. I used to visit a 13,000 acre Sheep Station just a couple of hours SSW of Sydney regularly and there were times you could basically shoot rabbits all night if you chose. Two blokes with .22s could casually ping 80+ rabbits in a few hours driving around Spotlighting and other times you could drive around all night and be lucky to feed the dogs.

Heavy rain kills plenty too at different places by flooding their burrows and also by viruses spread by mosquitoes which are abundant after good rain. The ones that survive prosper with new growth and so it goes. :rolleyes:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Bloke wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:16 pm
Cool shots Jim,

Looks exactly like the feral rabbits we have here. They’re a foreign pest and can be often found in suburban parks.

They’re always around to some extent and the weather conditions seem to determine the saturation. I used to visit a 13,000 acre Sheep Station just a couple of hours SSW of Sydney regularly and there were times you could basically shoot rabbits all night if you chose. Two blokes with .22s could casually ping 80+ rabbits in a few hours driving around Spotlighting and other times you could drive around all night and be lucky to feed the dogs.

Heavy rain kills plenty too at different places by flooding their burrows and also by viruses spread by mosquitoes which are abundant after good rain. The ones that survive prosper with new growth and so it goes. :rolleyes:

Thanks, had to crop them for size, taken with a 300mm lens, can't get too close to them.

These shots never would have happened with my old D90, no way I could crop them that much (They would have looked like crap), thank GOD for the D750.

That and the new Nikon AFP 70-300mm f4.5 - f5.6 ED VR, I have to old lens too, but it's not near as good as the new one.
Last edited by Ankerson on Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

WE've got so many cottontail rabbits here where I live that I've seriously thought about getting a live cage trap to put some meat on my table. I used to hunt CottonTails a lot in my younger days. But you've almost got to get at least 80 miles out of KC to find a place where they will let you hunt anymore. CottonTail rabbit fried up in onions and red wine is truly one gourmet dish I love a lot. My mom used to fix them that way and I would usually eat myself till I bloated. But fried up in onions and red wine they are so tasty it's beyond belief.
Frog legs fried in safflower oil is also great treat too. It's still open season on bull frogs here in Missouri too.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:47 pm
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:11 pm
Lack of fat in the meat.you have to have some fat to metabolize nutrients.
We usually fry them in Safflower Oil or Sunflower oil. Both of those oils can tolerate high heat whereas Olive Oil breaks down to easily frying at that temperature. I've also heard that Flax Oil is great to fry up wild game with too and also can tolerate the high heat necessary to cook a rabbit with.
I usually have other side dishes with plenty of some type of fat to compensate. But over the years I've not had that problem that many people cite with the low fat. I've read in at least 3 of the survival magazines which say that you would have to eat rabbit for a long period of time before the low fat content would be a problem.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:21 pm
WE've got so many cottontail rabbits here where I live that I've seriously thought about getting a live cage trap to put some meat on my table.
You don’t need a trap to catch rabbits Joe. :)

I’ve caught a rabbit or two over the years with a little help from a friend, good bright flashlight, a small fishing net is handy to have but not essential and a pillow slip or similar is all you need.

Just find the rabbits and pick one to shine the light in its eyes. You can usually walk to about 6-8 yards (of the rabbit) and have your friend hold the light perfect still while you skirt around behind it and either just grab it with your hands of net it and ... in your pillow slip. ;)
Last edited by Bloke on Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Bloke wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:03 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
WE've got so many cottontail rabbits here where I live that I've seriously thought about getting a live cage trap to put some meat on my table.

I’ve caught a rabbit or two over the years with a little help from a friend, good bright flashlight, a small fishing net is handy to have but not essential and a pillow slip or similar is all you need.

Just find the rabbits and pick one to shine the light in its eyes. You can usually walk to about 6-8 yards (of the rabbit) and have your friend hold the light perfect still while you skirt around behind it and either just grab it with your hands of net it and... in your pillow slip. ;)
They do have BIG teeth, however.

Another fun thing is to get some kids and let them chase the rabbits and catch them for you. You won’t get many but the kids will have a blast.

Rabbits make good pets. You can even litter box train them if you plan to keep them in the house. They will come when you call, unlike a cat. They love to be petted so are perfect fir calming lap animals.

On the other hand, they are good to eat. I have a killer rabbit in wine recipe (French). I like them fried, too. Like antelope, you have to gut and cool a rabbit as soon and quickly as possible if they will taste strong and gamey. Many grocers sell rabbit if you ask.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
juggler

Post by juggler »

Bloke wrote:
You don’t need a trap to catch rabbits
Yeah, a cup of coffee works just as well ;)
Attachments
coffee.jpg
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunately, it kills all its pupils.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Doesn't it for everyone? :)
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Bloke wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:

Just find the rabbits and pick one to shine the light in its eyes. You can usually walk to about 6-8 yards (of the rabbit) and have your friend hold the light perfect still while you skirt around behind it and either just grab it with your hands of net it and ... in your pillow slip. ;)
Well BLOKE I bet this is a great idea where you are at. But the CottonTail Rabbits we have in our area are pretty fast and not easy to fool. I'm also considering getting me another air-rifle or pellet gun to nail them with. There are so many CottonTail Rabbits and Gray Squirrels where I'm at you could almost steadily feed a family of 6 with no problem.
They have these cage traps here in the states and they are called "HavaHeart" traps and they work really well. I relocated a whole family of raccoons for a guy I used to work for and it didn't take but about 3 days to get the whole family. I took them to a state nature reserve and I'm sure they are doing well.
James Y

Post by James Y »

A neighbor has a pet white rabbit that comes into my back yard and those of several neighbors. As long as I don't see any more rabbits, I guess I'm OK with it for now. Maybe I shouldn't be(?).

https://youtu.be/silJoHrXsIc

Jim
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Bloke, is it true that the rabbits were originally imported into Australia as a cheap food source for colonists and once they bred they got out of control?