EDC, or rotation?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Do you have an EDC, or a rotation?

I carry the same knife every day
28%
I carry the same model every day, but rotate between different versions
7%
I rotate which knife I carry at least once a week
40%
I rotate which knife I carry daily
25%

Total votes: 83

vivi

EDC, or rotation?

Post by vivi »

Ever since my Police 4 started rusting on me with the warmer weather coming back a few months ago, I've gone back to having a true Every Day Carry. My serrated Pacific Salt.

I was curious if anyone else generally carries the same knife day to day VS having a rotation?

I enjoy having the collection I've built up, but I've gotten to the point where there isn't any other knife I'd rather carry with me throughout the day. It works the best for me, so anything else is a compromise in some way, e.g. its a heavier model that will carry worse, it can rust which gives me something else to worry about etc.
:unicorn
ladybug93

Re: EDC, or rotation?

Post by ladybug93 »

since i can't carry my normal edc at work, i rotate multiple knives daily and weekly. for example, i have a df2 salt that i carry every day at work and rotate various other small knives along with it, but when i work out, i switch to a pacific salt or native salt. then, when i get home, i switch to some combination of native salt, pacific salt, manix 2 lw (xhp), and yojimbo, depending on activities. every once in a while (twice a month or so), i'll throw in something from another manufacturer. i still like those other knives a lot, but they generally don't bring as much joy as the spydies.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I rotate between very few models, but not at least once a week.
For quite a long time it was a "Stretch 1 / Endura 4 - rotation" only, but I often carried (or carry) the one or the other for many (not just one) weeks in a row before switching again. Both either in HAP 40, or VG10.
Lately the SE Endela gets pocket time too, plus the Chap LW, but the latter not as a general EDC, but more for "special lightweight occasions".

Both the Endura and the Stretch 1 have prooven to just work for me, each in a "different way or feel", both have just enough edge length, and after having carried and used the one for a longer period of time, I enjoy even more to "rediscover" the other again...
Last edited by Wartstein on Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

I'm too old to rotate.
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

same every day.
tbdoc4kids

Post by tbdoc4kids »

Depends on how I feel, what I need to do, and where I'm going to go.
ihped1

Post by ihped1 »

When I'm at work I have to carry a smaller knife and it's usually one version of a UKPK. When I'm not at work I carry either the UKPK or something else bigger.
Ric

Post by Ric »

Whenever I get a new Spydie it will be carried. A few weeks or so.
Then I decide which knife to use.
Para 3 or some smaller/lighter ones...
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

I rotate usually once/week,but now the Endela get's a lot of pocket time.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

For me It depends on what I’m going to be doing. I carry the knife that I think be the most useful. But generally I carry the same knife and rotate only about once a week. However I will admit that mood Sometimes also has something to do with it because I have several knives that I really like. On the other hand there are only a few that I really love.

Among those that I really love are the Delica, Caly3, urban lightweight K390, dragonfly, and chaparral light weight. And for something larger I really love The Mannix 2lightweight, the Endura, and I always have a military around handy at home.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

For me, it's usually the Dragonfly at home and the Autonomy at work. I'll rotate the Endura in for varietys same, but most of the time it's those 2. I wish the rest of my EDC was that easy to decide 🤔
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I chose the option that I carry the same knife every day, but that isn't exactly true. I carried my heavily used s110v military daily for several months after taking a long break from s110v. I also had a long layoff from work, and I start a new job in about one hour. At work I usually always carried my s110v military and byrd rescue 2. It's always one PE and one SE knife (when I'm off, it's 2 PE knives). But this time it'll be my byrd rescue 2 and my new resilience, with the s110v military and my in my bag as backup. I'm eager to test out the resilience. I know I can "get by" with 8cr13mov, but I'll have to see whether or not it becomes an inconvenience (edge retention, constant lubrication/corrosion monitoring). Not sure how much cutting I'll be doing yet. I also have a new CS broken skull in XHP, but don't know how that'll fit into my rotation. Considering the coating, it's most likely my most corrosion resistant knife. I bought it because it was only $60 and CS's XHP is nearly gone, but I'm also not afraid to get it dirty and beat on it. If I'm constantly getting wet or my resilience starts rusting too badly, I'll probably use the broken skull until I get a Pacific Salt. Once I have everything I "need" I'll occasionally be rotating for any number of reasons, but I may find a combo I stick with for a lengthy period of time. I really can't go wrong with carrying the s110v military. Unless I hear the age old question "let me borrow your knife." :eek:
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Tims

Post by Tims »

I find myself, mostly, carrying the same knife every day. I’ve never been one to rotate daily or have any structured rotation really. I have a favourite or two and unless I need a certain knife for a specific task, I carry those. Usually an Endura. I have been carrying a new Stretch 2 daily though.

This is why I have so many knives that end up just sitting in a drawer. I used to buy anything that took my fancy but am much more discerning these days. Unless it has the potential to be a new favourite or is needed in a specific roll I try not to buy it.

Ideally I’d end up with a favourite knife in each class, ie size, fixed or folding etc and get rid of the rest.

Sounds good in theory but theres always something new and shiny around the corner.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Life is too short not to rotate.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
FullFlatMind

Post by FullFlatMind »

I change knives daily and often throughout the day. Different knives, different needs. Also, I just like the variety. Spyderco has so many great models that it would be tough to just carry one all the time.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I need the "other" option.
I daily carry my Spyderhawk H1 SE daily unless I go to a place where it's prohibited. I usually also carry my SE native 5 lw. I usually rotate my rfp carry and my carpenter pocket carry. I don't always post my spyderhawk in the what spyderco are you carrying thread but it's always with me. Sometimes if I need to carry less I'll carry the Spyderhawk and whatever else and leave the native 5 at home.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

It's pretty much a different knife each day for me. I do have some favorites that I like to use at work but I'll change it up during the evenings and on weekends.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Variety is the spice of life
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Ric wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:44 am
Whenever I get a new Spydie it will be carried. A few weeks or so.
Then I decide which knife to use.
Para 3 or some smaller/lighter ones...
Same, new knife gets a few weeks of pocket time, size permitting, then it goes into rotation. That few weeks is great for break in and reviewing.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

I've been carrying my AEB-L Urban since it was released. I'm also moving to Boston, so I'll no longer be able to legally carry my beloved Sage 2. So it will be all Urban all the time until I get a Wharnie DFly.