The Never Ending Appeal Of The Old School Spyders

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

The Never Ending Appeal Of The Old School Spyders

Post by JD Spydo »

For those of you who know me you are surely aware that I'm a big fan of the really older models such as the RENEGADE & BLACKHAWK ( Spyderco's first G-10 models) and old school Spyderco models in general ( Mainly 2006 and before). However the models I really tend to like the very best were made in what I affectionately call "The Golden Era Of Spyders" (1998-2004). That's when we still had Spyders with Micarta handles. That's when you could get almost every model in full Spyderedge if you so wanted it that way. That's when Spyderco was establishing itself as a company that would do knife designs that few others would dare to touch. That's when people still thought you were ultra-weird for even carrying a knife made by Spyderco ( not any longer though :cool: )

It seems ironic in a strange way that most requests for Sprint Runs many times involve models out of the GOLDEN ERA of SPYDERS such as the recent Shabaria for instance. OK I know I'm not alone on this either>> so which older or old school Spyder do you all appreciate the most? Do you all miss the days in which we had a much broader selection of Spyderedged models? Do you all agree with me that 1998 to 2004 is indeed a "GOLDEN ERA"? If not what is your "Golden Era"?? Ultimate favorite model of the older days?

Also feel free to list all of the specific pre-2000 models you love as well as the pre-2006 models you really still love. Oh don't get me wrong there are newer models I like>> but few of the newer ones had the character the older ones did in my humble opinion. OK Let's Talk OLD SCHOOL SPYDERS :cool:
Evil D

Re: The Never Ending Appeal Of The Old School Spyders

Post by Evil D »

There are some that I would be more interested in a new updated version in rather than a sprint. My Rock Lobster for example, the action isn't anywhere near as good as many newer production models I have. While I love the design, I would prefer they be updated with the improvements that Spyderco have made along the years.

A simple example of this, I wouldn't want a sprint of the original Military just because it's the original, when the current version has so many improvements. Another example is the Vesuvius, which I would LOVE to see in production again, but being one of the first versions of the compression lock I would very much prefer the model be updated with modern production techniques. Another example of that is comparing a current production Para 2 to the original Paramilitary, the lock and pivot action are vastly different.

So, while I think there are lots of awesome designs from those days, I also think to be successful (to people other than collectors) some of them need some updating. The problem with this is, that basically means all new models and production/tooling, so it's probably less likely than sprint runs.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I sincerely believe that we are in the Golden Age of Spyderco right now. Never in the history of the company have they offered a broader offering of designs, steels, sprints and other options as they do right now. The idea of what an “interesting” design looks like is very subjective but I feel like Spyderco is still making a TON of radically progressive and experimental designs that no other company would make. They are also making more varied options of their proven performers than ever before. I like old stuff too JD and sometimes get reminiscent about times past but objectively speaking I feel like Spyderco is as good as they have ever been...right now in 2019.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:52 pm
I would prefer they be updated with the improvements that Spyderco have made along the years.
Yeah, it's not always super obvious, but the fit and finish is way up from where it was 10 years ago. And 10 years before that... I have a late 90's Native that is pretty rough by today's standards.

There's always a tendency to yearn for the past but Spdyerco is making really good stuff these days.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

zhyla wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:16 pm
Evil D wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:52 pm
I would prefer they be updated with the improvements that Spyderco have made along the years.
Yeah, it's not always super obvious, but the fit and finish is way up from where it was 10 years ago. And 10 years before that... I have a late 90's Native that is pretty rough by today's standards.

There's always a tendency to yearn for the past but Spdyerco is making really good stuff these days.
So why not do Sprint Runs of the older/classic designs with better updated materials. It might just make them even better than they were to begin with.

And SURFINGRINGO makes a great point that Spyderco's current main line up has not been better in many respects. From the standpoint of selection and better and more modern materials I couldn't agree more. But again the old school models that got Spyderco a huge base of fans to begin with and to make them even better yet has a lot to be said for that case as well. But he is right when considering blade steel selection and better manufacturing techniques. Truly as a company they've only gotten better. But there is still something really special about those made in the 1998-2004 era.

Also the Native model being one of my all time favorite hard use models>> I have liked the way that model has gotten better over the years. But don't forget that it was in that great era that more or less started what Spyderco has turned into in this present time period.
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

Surfingringo wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:57 pm
I sincerely believe that we are in the Golden Age of Spyderco right now. Never in the history of the company have they offered a broader offering of designs, steels, sprints and other options as they do right now. The idea of what an “interesting” design looks like is very subjective but I feel like Spyderco is still making a TON of radically progressive and experimental designs that no other company would make. They are also making more varied options of their proven performers than ever before. I like old stuff too JD and sometimes get reminiscent about times past but objectively speaking I feel like Spyderco is as good as they have ever been...right now in 2019.
True, and fair enough. But it is not a zero sum game. Re-runs of "classics" like the Calypso, with upgraded steels and perhaps superior updated CQI/ fit/finish/execution would be a hoot.

Please tell me you wouldn't turn down a PCH run from the South Bay to La Jolla in the ol' '63 Corvette despite lack of airbags etc, hehe...
(no room for boards, but can borrow from friends at many stops along the way!)

kind regards,
a n.on
gibs0n

Post by gibs0n »

I love a lot of the older models too. ATS-55 era particularly.

I just recently got a like-new Standard/Economy. Stunning fit and finish and superb loud snap open and shut. I’d carry it except the stamped clip doesn’t have much tension. Slips right out of my pocket. 😱
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

gibs0n wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:48 pm
I love a lot of the older models too. ATS-55 era particularly.

I just recently got a like-new Standard/Economy. Stunning fit and finish and superb loud snap open and shut. I’d carry it except the stamped clip doesn’t have much tension. Slips right out of my pocket. 😱
Thank you :) That is one of my very favorite Spyderco time eras. I still have and still use several of my ATS-55 Spyders. My companion blade that I've carried religiously for almost two years now is my stainless handled, full SE,. ATS-55 RESCUE model. That was the only era in which they made a RESCUE model with stainless handles. It had a lot more bulk and rigidity than the Mariner model which was succeeded by the ATS-55 RESCUE.

The ATS-55 era gave birth to all the DYAD models as well as the Peter Herbst, The original ROOKIE, The first G-10 handled POLICE model, The C-54 Calypso, The G-10 Harpy along with the "Snap-It" and "Remote Release" models. It was a pivotal era and maybe the most pivotal.
Genotoxic

Post by Genotoxic »

I find the old Endura with the pointy tip and different shaped handle to be a super good looking knife in full SE... not even my taste really but something about that knife looks so mean but sleek at the same time. I know the Endura we have now is improved but I'd buy an older style Endura in a heartbeat. May even buy an oldie if I came across an opportunity to get a decent condition one!
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

I love my old Spyders. I have a few classics around that I would keep forever.

I also love the new stuff. Like SurfGringo said Spyderco has been hitting them out of the park lately.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Kris
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I really like the Wegners. I wish they were back locks, but they are good looking, feeling, and handling. Too bad we’ll never see another.
- best wishes, Jazz.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Jazz wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:33 pm
I really like the Wegners. I wish they were back locks, but they are good looking, feeling, and handling. Too bad we’ll never see another.
Darned interesting JAZZ :) That's a model that seems like most everyone likes or loves but yet you don't hear much mention about it anymore. Tim Wegner himself was still making that model with his own company "Blade Tech" for quite some time.

Even the Wegner Jr. had a lot of fans in it's day. They were both out of the old ATS-34 era if my memory is still functioning. I also loved the C-25 and C-50 Centofante models out of that era as well.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Archimedes wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:16 pm
I love my old Spyders. I have a few classics around that I would keep forever.

I also love the new stuff. Like SurfGringo said Spyderco has been hitting them out of the park lately.
No argument on either point. But I still maintain that there is a special mystique surrounding many of the older models. As the title says "It's Never Ending". It's what started the ball rolling.
You were here back in the 2004-2007 era ( as Worker #9) and with a lot less to select from than we have now it was still kind of a magical era in a lot of ways. I distinctly remember you and Chad ( Daywalker) and 3 others I could mention being avid fans of the original Lil T model. There are still few models to this day that enjoyed the cult following that some of those older models had.
I really didn't get on the Lil Temperance bandwagon until I snagged one in a trade. The one I started with was a full Spyderedged 440V unit. For it's size it was truly a pitbull of a folder ( especially in SE). You practically had the be there to understand the magic of the moment.
Oh yes I'm very much looking forward to some of the new eras ahead of us. Especially some of the newer blade steels coming up.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

H1 is when Spyderco entered the Golden Era.
Living in the tropics and fishing every weekend the release of H1 was the switch for me.
Having several lime green Catchermans in the early 90, (92 I think it was released)

It had everything you want
Rust proof
Lime green Handel was clearly visible on a boat
Light weight
Outstanding grip texture
Solid build
And the awesome Spyderco edge at the back of the blade

I remember to this day loosing one off the bait board when a deckie left it there when I took off to move spots, and the three shops on the way home with a boat in tow to replace it.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

standy99 wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:06 pm
Living in the tropics and fishing every weekend the release of H1 was the switch for me.
Having several lime green Catchermans in the early 90, (92 I think it was released)

Rust proof
Light weight
Outstanding grip texture
Solid build

I remember to this day loosing one off the bait board when a deckie left it there when I took off to move spots, and the three shops on the way home with a boat in tow to replace it.
The Catcherman models I had from the early 90s were yellow handled units>> I've owned at least 3 of them over the years and they were made with H-1 blades. I never got a green Catcherman until 2011 I believe it was and it has a combo edge, H1 blade and a Sprint Run at that. That unit came out when they also did the Sprint Run of the G-10 handled, C-60 Ayoob model in 2011 I'm sure. I'm about 90% certain of that one>> actually I'm dead certain I got that right. And you're talking to a huge Catcherman fan. I still have two of the older AUS-8 units from the 90s ( SE & CE).

I'm still baffled to no end as to why they quit making the Catcherman in full SE. That is truly one of my top 3 favorite Spyderedged models ever. I use my AUS-8 SE Catcherman at least 3 to 4 times a week in the kitchen>> yes it's that great of a culinary tool in full SE :cool:
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

There is something about the Starmate that fascinates me. The blade thickness and grind are not something I'd usually go for, but I really like the lines.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

p_atrick wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:37 pm
There is something about the Starmate that fascinates me. The blade thickness and grind are not something I'd usually go for, but I really like the lines.
That "Starmate" truly has had a cult following like few others from that era have had. It's never been one of my favs but I sure know a lot of guys who really love it. Terzoula's designs sure intrigue a lot of people but that's one of the old school models I would gladly trade if I had one. The C-15 and C-19 of Terzoula's I liked a lot better than I did his Starmate model.
I'm kind of the same way with that original carbon fiber Michael Walker model>> It's another one that many guys go nuts over but it never got my adrenaline going at all.
benben

Post by benben »

Jazz wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:33 pm
Yep, that “clack” sound they made when locked open was awesome! I’d love to have a modern version of either size Wegner! But as you said......too bad!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

standy99 wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:06 pm

Rust proof
Light weight
Outstanding grip texture
Solid build

My very first ever TASMAN I got in January of 2005. I even got it before I got my Burgundy ZDP-189 Caly Jr. which came along in about April or May of 2005.
I'm still holding out hope that some day they might bring back the TEMPERANCE 1 fixed blade model. The main reason I'm stuck on it for a Sprint Run is that it's one of the very few models that was available in SE & PE both. To have a TEMP 1 either in H-1 or preferably in LC200N in both SE & PE would actually shut me up for a while :D . That to me would make a really ideal pair of outdoor fixed blades. The TEMP 1 design has stood up over the years and they still sell a few of the TEMP 2. But I liked the handle configuration on the TEMP 1, The Sheath it came with and again you could get it in SE & PE both.