1st Generation Ladybug appears lilac/purple... Name that color?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
petey2020

1st Generation Ladybug appears lilac/purple... Name that color?

Post by petey2020 »

Can't figure out what color this would be considered or "Spyderco Color", its a 1st generation Ladybug and looks just like the color of the lighter blue/lilac version of the Purple Ladybug 3. I posted a photo with 2 other color ladybugs just to have a point of reference on the color but luckily this photo is actually just about perfect in reference to the color as I see it in person. Thanks in advance!
lb1.jpg
Peter1960

Re: 1st Generation Ladybug appears lilac/purple... Name that color?

Post by Peter1960 »

Welcome to the forums petey2020!

If my memory serves me well the SKU is LBL and stands for Ladybug Blue ... a simple blue.
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I always thought ladybugs didnt get the purple treatment until the 3rd gen and then there were actually 2 different shades of purple. The early purple gen 3 being lighter than the darker purple that is currently on the purple gen 3
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

Peter1960 wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:50 am
Welcome to the forums petey2020!

If my memory serves me well the SKU is LBL and stands for Ladybug Blue ... a simple blue.
Yes, that is the factory blue Ladybug Gen 1. The blue does tend to fade over time. I have some NIB G1 LBs stashed somewhere in a box of "Little Black Box Spydies;" meanwhile here's a pic of a blue Gen 1 that sits in a counter ab shell for regular pickup to 5th pocket use.

It is faded and worn, as is its shell-mate Red Ladybug,(color option prior to exclusivity with trainers--recall the first red NonT and Trainer?).
The reds tend to fade more, as expected due to the low energy 4D orbitals.

The original blue seems closest to the blue of the ZDP Stretch and Delica blue FRNs, not too far from the denim blue of the Kahr Delicas.
Recent/current frn blue closest to that of the Ladybug G1 blue is the Blue-Grey of the V-TOKU2 sprints. Here is one, a Manbug, for color and size C&C.

kind regards, and welcome aboard,
a n.on
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Looks similar to the original ZDP color before it changed to British Racing Green. I really like that shade of blue.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
petey2020

Post by petey2020 »

Thanks guys kinda figured it was faded blue but second guess that when i realized I have had some spyderco's out in the sun for months without any fading that are just as old. I also was under the impression that purple didn't appear until GEN 3 which is why i looked at it confused, haha. On a good note.. not to long before it will look like a super blue spirit run!!
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

nicked.onaut wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:17 pm

The original blue seems closest to the blue of the ZDP Stretch and Delica blue FRNs, not too far from the denim blue of the Kahr Delicas.
Evil D wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:45 pm
Looks similar to the original ZDP color before it changed to British Racing Green. I really like that shade of blue.
So I pulled out a Stretch Blue FRN ZDP 189 to compare colors, one which like the blue Ladybug has seen a lot of use (hence perhaps more fading than that of a box queen).

Looks close to the eye, but i can't discern it very well on-screen, so here are a few pics.
(glad I accessed the Stretch, because a few rust spots are evident, in need of care.)

HTH
Nick