Roadie vs Pingo

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Roadie vs Pingo

Post by Doc Dan »

I have never really looked at the roadie because I had a pinggo home with the same blade shape. I apologize upfront for all the typos because I’m having to let my iPad type while I dictate. Anyway, I always wondered which came first the chicken or the egg and in this case the pingo or the roadie. These knives are very similar in a lot of ways but they’re also very different. So, I found myself needing to buy a gift for a non-knife person Who lives in an area where knives are frowned on. I decided that the roadie was just the right knife. Because of the British most of the people here don’t carry knives but they’re not against them.

I bought the gift knife but also decided to buy myself one as well. I got an orange one dated JP. This knife in surprisingly well-made Does have decent but not great walk and talk. My pingo is a bit better in this regard but this might be because the blade is Much heavier. The springs on both are about equal tension but the roadie needs a little bit more effort required to overcome the half stop. The blades on both are equally thick and the pingo is really not a very good slicer. Even the blade profiles are very similar. What I did find Is that the Roadie works a lot better doing things like opening the mail and slicing up the small box it came in and etc. it did not do as good of a job slicing an apple as the pingo because the Pingo has a much broader blade. It got theJob done but not as good as something like a manbug would’ve done.

The Roadie does improve several things about the Pingo. One thing is that because it has a actual finger choil, the knife is not going to close on your hand accidentally and your finger is not likely to slide forward on to the sharp blade. Both of these were somewhat of a problem with the Pingo. Also while I can get a fuller grip on the pingo the roadie has a more neutral grip and this is better for different types of tasks. I can actually grab the knife and use the sheep’s foot blade to his fullest advantage. The blade has less curvature on the cutting edge on the Roadie Which actually expedites detailed cutting. Finally the Roadie is a much smaller footprint in the pocket. It’s like caring a stub of a number two pencil. At 1 ounce it is very light weight. The thicker blade stock actually let you have more confidence in doing some harder tasks.

Overall this is a better design than the pingo though I do really like the pingo for some things.

Of course the manbug is a better slicer and has a longer cutting edge though a shorter blade. It is more pointy and you can do piercing tasks that you cannot do with the roadie. However the Roadie has the advantage of being legal in a lot more places because it has no lock. But the manbug light weight is a lot lighter in fact so much so you can’t even feel it in your pocket.

Really the Roadie is a nice knife to give to people. It does not appear to be intimidating and is small and slender and can be carried about anywhere. I would not want this to be my only knife but I Find it is pretty useful after all.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Dazen

Re: Roadie vs Pingo

Post by Dazen »

I love the Roadie, it was a really thought out knife. It’s great to slip into gym shorts or dress pants when you don’t want a clip. I do wish they do a sprint run of it someday with some higher end materials.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

I wanted to get one for my girlfriend, but I'll probably end up settling for the pink Squeak.
It'd be a perfect gift for most women who aren't already into knives/up for a bigger blade if they would make it in pastel colors of something!
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Never having held one, do you think kids could open the roadie? So far my urban and all my backlocks are too stiff for my kids.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

The roadie is a vastly underrated knife. I'd love to see it in upgraded steel and handle materials. Lionsteel has some really nice slippies in the $130-$180 range that are nice materials and m390. I'd love to see a Roadie done with similar upgrades.

The F&F on my Roadies is good enough that my kids (girls, 11 and 13) have no trouble opening it. The Roadie has a pretty smooth action.

Woodpuppy, to test, I just handed my K390 Urban to my 13 year old and opening it was a trivial task for her, so I'm not sure how your kids would do with a Roadie. How old are they?
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:27 am
Woodpuppy, to test, I just handed my K390 Urban to my 13 year old and opening it was a trivial task for her, so I'm not sure how your kids would do with a Roadie. How old are they?
They are 7.5, and since they are twins, they’ve been comparatively small. They can open several knives, but can’t close them, which is more worrisome. So I got them each a Mora Companion :D
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:12 am
Never having held one, do you think kids could open the roadie? So far my urban and all my backlocks are too stiff for my kids.
The two I have tried would be easy for them to open with two hands as intended. Plus I think this would be a good choice for that age. There are no stabby tips And with the finger in the choil and a proper grip the knife is not going to accidentally close and cut somebody.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I think a kid would have trouble closing it bc the handle is long and skinny even for small hands. Kid might try to put extra force into it to close it bc it is stiff and move their other hand/fingers into the path of the blade when closing. When i was a kid linerlocks were easier for me to manipulate than lets say a case slipjoint knife
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

That’s sort of what I remember too SG. And is why I decided on fixed blades for them. This is actually a common recommendation, but it is one that parents often balk at; I understand that, as I did too. But we started them with real kitchen knives helping to prep meals so I’m not worried. I mean, they will cut themselves. It happens :rolleyes:
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

The blade stock of the Roadie is too thick for a knife of its size. It may be good as a pry tool, but as a slicer, it falls short.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

this_is_nascar wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:11 pm
The blade stock of the Roadie is too thick for a knife of its size. It may be good as a pry tool, but as a slicer, it falls short.
It is not the best slicer, but it’ll get the job done. Rather, this is an all around knife that does many things ok, but does nothing in a standout manner.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Pingo is my travel knife and works a treat. Slices and the back makes a great butter spreader when I end up in the middle of nowhere and usually buy some cold meat, cheese and a tomato and make a sandwich.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Yes, I either travel with the Cat or the Pingo. The Roadie is going into this category, more than likely, just to see how it does.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

If the blade were any thinner for “better slicing” the pull dimples would not be possible, and it wouldn’t be near as comfortable to place you thumb on back of the blade for pressure. The Roadie is really perfect the way it is.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd be curious to regrind a roadie and see if I noticed any difference.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

TomAiello wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:47 am
I'd be curious to regrind a roadie and see if I noticed any difference.
I would love to see someone do this. However though the spine is very thick it tapers very quickly to the edge. It would have to be a very careful regrind and I wonder if it would actually do any good. It’s OK as a slice for now but certainly could be better if the spine were not so thick. It might not be as good of an all-around knife though. I have traditional’s that have thinner blades but are worse slicers.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I think overall I really like the roadie which I’m surprised at. It is a good general duty pen knife, which is exactly what it was supposed to be.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
archangel

Post by archangel »

Stupid customs held my Roadie for almost two weeks, now they're playing games at collecting fees at delivery while I'm actually on summer vacation. Freaks!! There's a real risk that it'll be returned to the US..... I so hate them.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

archangel wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:51 pm
Stupid customs held my Roadie for almost two weeks, now they're playing games at collecting fees at delivery while I'm actually on summer vacation. Freaks!! There's a real risk that it'll be returned to the US..... I so hate them.
I understand. I ordered 2 fir gifts and paid fir fast shipping. Corruption in customs decided that made it more valuable so they raised the charge on me 3 times.i went to collect and despite having the signed firm with cost they would ssy I had to pay more.

Well, I finally got them.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:27 pm
archangel wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:51 pm
I understand. I ordered 2 fir gifts and paid fir fast shipping. Corruption in customs decided that made it more valuable so they raised the charge on me 3 times.i went to collect and despite having the signed firm with cost they would ssy I had to pay more.

Well, I finally got them.

I think I’d have walked out and left em there. Go ahead, send em back you stinking crooks!