Rex 45 Patina Pics!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mayong

Rex 45 Patina Pics!

Post by mayong »

Post 'em up!

Here's my PM2 after a strip steak. Also cooked portobellos and asparagus but I think it's the fat in the meat that leaves the rainbow hue. Insert science here.

Last edited by mayong on Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Police | Calypso | Caly 3 & 3.5 | PM 2 | Para 3 | UKPK | Endura | Dragonfly | Sage 2 | Sage 5

"While this test doesn't simulate any logical use of a knife as a tool, since it was a concern of some of our customers, we began incorporating it into our testing protocols." - Michael Janich
mayong

Re: Rex 45 Patina Pics!

Post by mayong »

I found this thread in my travels. I've got to agree with attila's K390 comparison.

Here's a picture of his PM2 Military after some IRL fruit ninja. Loving the subtle coloration!

Police | Calypso | Caly 3 & 3.5 | PM 2 | Para 3 | UKPK | Endura | Dragonfly | Sage 2 | Sage 5

"While this test doesn't simulate any logical use of a knife as a tool, since it was a concern of some of our customers, we began incorporating it into our testing protocols." - Michael Janich
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Very nice!

One of these days I'll actually get around to using my Rex 45 knives haha
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Something tells me there won't be many photos in this thread. Lots of light users/safe queens for these knives. That rainbow hue looks great though!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I’m carrying my rex45 pm2 today. Slight patina from kielbasa on a camping trip, but I tend to polish the blade back up to minimize patina.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:09 pm
Something tells me there won't be many photos in this thread. Lots of light users/safe queens for these knives. That rainbow hue looks great though!
Where's yours?
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I ended up selling mine last winter, once the CS exclusive Para 3 was dropped. That was my dream color scheme, plus I was trying to unload some of my Para 3's. Didn't think I needed 7!! Now, I don't have either orange knife and miss that Rex45.

Helped out my friends fathers farm one day with it, was very impressed with how well it held up cutting as much rope and twine that I put it through.

Hoping they come out with a Manix 2 with it!

-Rick
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

After a week of exclusive carry on a costal camping trip it finally started...

mayong

Post by mayong »

abbazaba wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:47 pm
After a week of exclusive carry on a costal camping trip it finally started...

Love the scales!

mayong

Post by mayong »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Something tells me there won't be many photos in this thread. Lots of light users/safe queens for these knives.

Shame because it's such a great steel.

TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

mayong wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:48 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Something tells me there won't be many photos in this thread. Lots of light users/safe queens for these knives.

Shame because it's such a great steel.
I agree. It's the only knife that I have sellers remorse, all because I was chasing handle scale colors and didn't realize how much of a gem I had, in a great overall steel...and now such a hard to find steel. Kick myself for that one. I figured the way it flew off the shelves, there would be a high demand and be back in stock within a few months...not the case :o

-Rick
anycal

Post by anycal »

Older pick with hints of 'tina. The newer ones don't seem to capture it. Hopefully by end of summer...

Peter
mayong

Post by mayong »

Some instagram finds, credit where it's due:

And, updated: my original post. Same knife, better lighting!

basedlarrydavid

Post by basedlarrydavid »

Here you go. The full album has a video (https://imgur.com/a/u5IeCXI). I also picked up a Millie in Rex 45 last week that is clean as a whistle. The process starts again.
More K390 and 10V, please.

Instagram: @ohioapexing
attila

Post by attila »

mayong wrote: I found this thread in my travels. I've got to agree with attila's K390 comparison.

Here's a picture of his PM2 Military after some IRL fruit ninja. Loving the subtle coloration!

Thanks for starting this thread. Here's a current photo of my Military:
basedlarrydavid wrote: Image
That looks really awesome! What have you been cutting with that thing?!
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
mayong

Post by mayong »

attila wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:45 am

@ohioapexing, wow, that black/blue coloration does look great, especially with the weathered brown micarta. I'm curious too: what causes staining like that?

basedlarrydavid

Post by basedlarrydavid »

mayong wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:51 am
attila wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:45 am

@ohioapexing, wow, that black/blue coloration does look great, especially with the weathered brown micarta. I'm curious too: what causes staining like that?

I started using it roughly 2-3 months before the scales came in (I custom-ordered them) and did in applications I would typically use a kitchen knife. I think most of that came from strawberries, warm chicken, and apples. I later found that hot bacon gives a great dark blue hue.

EDIT: Thanks for the compliment!
More K390 and 10V, please.

Instagram: @ohioapexing
laker_cj

Post by laker_cj »

basedlarrydavid wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:48 pm

Here you go. The full album has a video (https://imgur.com/a/u5IeCXI). I also picked up a Millie in Rex 45 last week that is clean as a whistle. The process starts again.
Looks like a great 2020 calendar picture! Great patina, and great photo capture!
My Owned :spyder: - Tasman Salt; Endura; Delica; Embassy; Tenacious; Kitchen Santoku; Yojimbo2; Pattada; SpyderPac; Para 3; Paramilitary 2; Ouroboros; Dragonfly; Squarehead; Ambitious; Ladybug; Kitchen Utility; Cricket; Rescue; Pingo; Native 5; Gayle Bradley Folder; Rubicon; Dice; Remote Release II; Manix; Moran Drop Point; Polestar; Ikuchi; Sliverax; Bow River; Szabo Folder
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

That really is an awesome patina, especially the photo with the contrasting mirror finish. Great job!

-Rick
mayong

Post by mayong »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:10 pm
That really is an awesome patina, especially the photo with the contrasting mirror finish. Great job!
+1