What happened to the Kapara?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jdw

What happened to the Kapara?

Post by jdw »

I missed these when they first dropped and keep expecting another shipment to come through. Has anybody heard an ETA of when and where these will be in stock again? It's a beautiful knife that looks just as functional as its aesthetics are clean.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
curlyhairedboy

Re: What happened to the Kapara?

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'm on the lookout for one as well.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I had one for a short time, had to sell it for financial reasons. Liked it a lot, was sure I'd get another one eventually. Probably still will, but now the upcoming chief is higher on my list in that size category.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

That knife looks so sweet, it's on at least my Distant Early Warning radar line lol. That said I kinda wish it was in something other than S30V, and while I hasten to add that there is absolutely nothing wrong at all with S30V, it's a fine all-around steel, I can't help but think that such a special knife would be well served with something like S90V, or maybe M4 etc. Still a fine looking piece!
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

I love the Kapara... sorry for the lack of information regarding release times, and second runs. Good excuse to post a picture.

:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"
sal

Post by sal »

The model was more popular than anticipated. More are in-the-works. Alistair created a very nice design and our Taichung factory executed the design very well.

sal
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I would kill for a small Kapara ... 3.25 inch blade lenght :eek:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Marius,

We're working on a 3.0" Slippie for the UK market. I'll keep a 3.25 compression lock model in mind as we watch the model in the future.

sal
bwunger

Post by bwunger »

Oh please make it with micarta scales, a nice half stop and the same basic design as the original. That would be amazing.
Current collection: ZDP-189 Delica 4, S110V PM2, St. Nick's 4v Para 3, H1 sheepsfoot Manbug, Kapara, VG-10 Dragonfly, ATS-55 Serrated Delica, ZDP-189 MT04 (not broken yet) + Other non spydercos.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

elena86 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 11:16 am
I'd prefer a 3" model but 3.25" would be fine too but it seems too close to the length it is now. When I saw your post I had to look up the specs because I didn't realize the blade length on the Kapara was actually as long as it is. 3.6" would make it the longest folder I own. It sure doesn't carry like it. Looking at some other specs I'm surprised to find the Advocate and GB1 have shorter blades. I have both of those too and it seemed like they had longer blades than the Kapara.

I hope you guys waiting on the Kapara get one soon. It's sweet!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 6:53 am
I can't help but think that such a special knife would be well served with something like S90V, or maybe M4 etc.
I don't think they'd use non-stainless steel like M4 for a knife meant for food prep.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 11:41 am
elena86 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 11:16 am
I'd prefer a 3" model but 3.25" would be fine too but it seems too close to the length it is now. When I saw your post I had to look up the specs because I didn't realize the blade length on the Kapara was actually as long as it is. 3.6" would make it the longest folder I own. It sure doesn't carry like it. Looking at some other specs I'm surprised to find the Advocate and GB1 have shorter blades. I have both of those too and it seemed like they had longer blades than the Kapara.

I hope you guys waiting on the Kapara get one soon. It's sweet!
One of the great things I can remember from my Kapara (don't have it anymore): For the actual edge you get, it's an unvelievable small (closed) package in pocket. Very slim, but also very short: Practically same edge length as an Endura, but 1/2 an inch shorter when closed...

The reason for the very good edge-to-closed-length-ratio is of course, that the forward choil is located for the most part in the handle, not the blade. Imho a great idea in a long-handled-knife (not so much in a short handled).

Only thing I would have changed: A NON deep carry clip. On a still rather long-handled knife a DEEP carry clip is not a good choice. Better, a bit more of such a knife sticks OUT of the pocket than deeper INTO the pocket. Makes for a better carry imho. WITH it's deep carry clip the amount of "Kapara-length" in the pocket is even more than the amount of "Endura-length" with it's regular clip, despite the Kapara actually being quite a bit shorter...
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

sal wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 11:30 am
Hi Marius,

We're working on a 3.0" Slippie for the UK market. I'll keep a 3.25 compression lock model in mind as we watch the model in the future.

sal
Ooh. Now I’m officially excited!
DukeNiemand

Post by DukeNiemand »

Glad it did well. Hoping we see a sprint in something like LC200N, S90V, or S110V soon.
Flizwit

Post by Flizwit »

Hey all,

Has there been an update to how soon the next batch of Kaparas will arrive? I have been coveting this model for 8 months.

Thanks
Own: SpyOpera, Kapara, AEB-L Urban, Techno 2, Cat, S30V Dragonfly 2, REC Lil Native, St. Nick’s Lil Native, V-Toku2 Meerkat, McBee, Cruwear Delica.
Previously Owned: CF Caly3 ZDP-189, Sage 1, Lil’ Nilakka
Want: Birdseye Maple Chaparral, Pochi, LC200N Para 3 LW
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I also missed this one because I expected it to be available easily (as normal production). I'm hoping that the quick sell out will lead to sprints and variations.

I honestly can't wait for the slip joint. :)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Flizwit wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:34 am
Hey all,

Has there been an update to how soon the next batch of Kaparas will arrive? I have been coveting this model for 8 months.

Thanks

Maybe now that the Chap LW is available again, there is also hope for the Kapara??
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Glad they're going to come back!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Flizwit wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:34 am
Hey all,

Thanks
Don't give up hope! The Kapara is worth the wait!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

It really is. By far my newest favourite.
:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"