Parata Finally

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Parata Finally

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Well the Parata came out today and they have them at GPKnives.

I bought one because I promised myself I would but dang talk about lousy timing and right on the heels of the 20CV PM2 IN DLC the Red M390 Pm2 and the Blue PM2 M390.

Ouch a fellas wallet can only take so much pressure all at once Spyderco! :D

Here is a video for those on the fence about a Parata. https://youtu.be/K9QPZuuyC_8
holeshot

Re: Parata Finally

Post by holeshot »

Ouch a fellas wallet can only take so much pressure all at once Spyderco! :D
Tell me about it! The boss is going to rip me a new one! :o
"No matter where you go, there you are"
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I'm excited it's finally here! I'm going to get an order in soon.
If anything is going to kick the Ouroboros out of my pocket right now, I think the Parata is the perfect alternative. :D
-Nick :bug-red
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Well, I just don’t see the use of that knife. Can someone please explain? Looks neat, but...
- best wishes, Jazz.
jdw

Post by jdw »

Jazz wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:29 pm
Well, I just don’t see the use of that knife. Can someone please explain? Looks neat, but...
I asked the same question in a thread. The designer patronized me with name games for the knife and legit answers seem to be food prep.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Chris_P_Bacon

Post by Chris_P_Bacon »

At Shotshow2019 he was filmed saying it's for skinning game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6z8Xq3FcbU
Currently have 163 :spyder: 's & 41 different steels.
Bench Stones Atoma Diamond Plate 140,400,600,1200. Naniwa Chosera 400,800,1000,3000,5000.
Shapton Glass 1000,6000. Suehiro Rika 5000. Shapton Pro 320,1000,2000,5000,8000.
Naniwa Bonded Diamond 400,600,800,1000,3000,6000. Venev Gen2 OCB Combo Diamond 800/1200.
Spyderco 306UF, 306CBN. Doublestuff2 303FCBN2, & 204MF Sharpmaker w/204CBN for Spidie Edges.
Want List Steels 15V, S125V, K490, M398, Magnacut, S390, SRS-15, Vanadis 8, Vanax SC, Vancron SC,
jdw

Post by jdw »

Other than a Stretch I would never trust a knife out of Seki for skinning anything.
--Wovoka
hambone56rx

Post by hambone56rx »

Jazz wrote:
To have the first stop lock!! :D

But it’s got some flat parts as well. Should be useful for my simple EDC tasks that I don’t need anything near what Spyderco offers, but I buy them because they are legit!!

Hamilton
Chris_P_Bacon

Post by Chris_P_Bacon »

jdw wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:54 pm
Other than a Stretch I would never trust a knife out of Seki for skinning anything.
JDW, not a challenging question here. Just genuinely interested in your thoughts.

Wondering what your opinion is (good, bad, or indifferent) of Seki based knives. Have you had some issues with them, or care to expound?
Currently have 163 :spyder: 's & 41 different steels.
Bench Stones Atoma Diamond Plate 140,400,600,1200. Naniwa Chosera 400,800,1000,3000,5000.
Shapton Glass 1000,6000. Suehiro Rika 5000. Shapton Pro 320,1000,2000,5000,8000.
Naniwa Bonded Diamond 400,600,800,1000,3000,6000. Venev Gen2 OCB Combo Diamond 800/1200.
Spyderco 306UF, 306CBN. Doublestuff2 303FCBN2, & 204MF Sharpmaker w/204CBN for Spidie Edges.
Want List Steels 15V, S125V, K490, M398, Magnacut, S390, SRS-15, Vanadis 8, Vanax SC, Vancron SC,
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

jdw wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:39 pm
Jazz wrote:
I asked the same question in a thread. The designer patronized me with name games for the knife and legit answers seem to be food prep.

To me it sounds like after answering your question, he just explained some design background. Actually an interesting little story in my opinion. :) I'm sure patronizing you was not his intention.
Howdy jdw,

The short answer is: the blade shape is most conducive to skinning tasks (the hunting community at Shot were intrigued by it), but would also be handy in the kitchen for similar tasks and slicing. And the large, forward finger choil gives you a lot of control to aid in these sort of precision tasks.

In reality, some of the drive behind the design was to give customers a more unique product... and part of me wanted to do a more unconventional blade shape to go along with the stop-lock. At one point there was some discussion about a name change because of the similarity in sound to the Pattada. I submitted the ‘Potamus’ as an alternative, partly because of the slight resemblance the blade has with a hippopotamus head, but mostly because of the big belly. I also came up with a little story to go along with it that made me smile - I started to think of it as the perfect spey blade for folks in hippo husbandry. :)

So with that, I can’t really say there’s a good explanation for the Parata...

- Paul

Jazz, I can't speak for the Parata but I've been using the Ouroboros for a couple weeks now. It's a similar design, having a large finger choil with a broad blade and big belly. In the limited amount of time that I've had it, I've found it to work well for food prep, as others have suggested. I brought it on a backpacking trip and it was used primarily in that role and the broad blade proved to be useful. And of course, design aesthetics and uniqueness is part of the reason for it, my favorite part!
jdw

Post by jdw »

Chris_P_Bacon wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:28 pm
jdw wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:54 pm
JDW, not a challenging question here. Just genuinely interested in your thoughts.

Wondering what your opinion is (good, bad, or indifferent) of Seki based knives. Have you had some issues with them, or care to expound?
It's an honest question. I have been around life for a while and I have seen the knives out of Seki go from being some of the best production knives in the world to being mediocre at best. In the last couple of years, other than standard FRN models. I have received very poor quality knives including a partially assembled Nishijin Cricket. As for skinning and the lock on the Parata, most people do not realize how visceral skinning game is. I really trust nothing but a back lock or a fixed blade.
--Wovoka
SG89

Post by SG89 »

jdw wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:53 pm
It's an honest question. I have been around life for a while and I have seen the knives out of Seki go from being some of the best production knives in the world to being mediocre at best. In the last couple of years, other than standard FRN models. I have received very poor quality knives including a partially assembled Nishijin Cricket. As for skinning and the lock on the Parata, most people do not realize how visceral skinning game is. I really trust nothing but a back lock or a fixed blade.
Are you referring to lock failure from blood/guts/viscera/hair getting into it and causing it to slip? I've used fixed blades, backlocks, and liner locks to skin game. I definitely prefer fixed blades or backlocks for that purpose.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Overall I think the Parata is a nice design. Interested in the stop lock... I wonder if Taichung can produce a knife with the stop lock? I really want to know what Paul's 4th design is going to be.... So far 2 in Seki and 1 in Taichung...
Spydergirl88
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

jdw wrote:
As for skinning and the lock on the Parata, most people do not realize how visceral skinning game is. I really trust nothing but a back lock or a fixed blade.

I would completely trust my Lil Temperance 3 from Seki for dressing any game, but I'd agree that it would be more hassle than it's worth because I'd have to take it apart and thoroughly clean all parts. A fixed blade is always the best, if only for the fact that it's much easier to clean. Calling the Parata a "skinning knife" is more fantasy than reality. But then, such is the life of the luxury knife market...
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:12 pm
Overall I think the Parata is a nice design. Interested in the stop lock... I wonder if Taichung can produce a knife with the stop lock? I really want to know what Paul's 4th design is going to be.... So far 2 in Seki and 1 in Taichung...
2 in Taichung - the Sliverax and the Ikuchi and 2 in Seki now - the Ouroboros and the Parata

There was mention of a larger Ouroboros, I wonder if that will be next. :spyder:
Last edited by Mushroom on Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Mushroom wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:31 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:12 pm
2 in Taichung - The Sliverax and the Ikuchi and 2 in Seki now - Ouroboros and Parata
You're right! I always forget the sliverax. So does he still have another design in the works? I thought I heard that he did at Bladeshow or Amsterdam
Spydergirl88
jdw

Post by jdw »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:08 pm
jdw wrote:
Are you referring to lock failure from blood/guts/viscera/hair getting into it and causing it to slip? I've used fixed blades, backlocks, and liner locks to skin game. I definitely prefer fixed blades or backlocks for that purpose.
I am. Fieldressing game, skinning, gutting, however you want to frame it is a nasty business and lock failure is a very real possibility. I actually like the knife and I may even give one a try but I don't believe that it's a functional field knife.
--Wovoka
jdw

Post by jdw »

Double post
Last edited by jdw on Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
--Wovoka
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'd love to see an ouroboros in something other than vg10 for sure!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

VG-10 is one of the selling points with me.

This is one of those highly underrated steels. It is more corrosion resistant than S30V and is far easier to sharpen and keep at a truly sharp edge.

My two favorite steels are Cruwear then Vg-10 followed by CTS-XHP and H1 just barely ahead of LC200N in the anti rust category.

If they had made this in Cruwear WOW! As it is glad mine is on it’s way.