Chaparral FRN CQI

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Chaparral FRN CQI

Post by Wartstein »

grubetown wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:45 pm
Confirmed with Spyderco the Chaparral I ordered this morning will be the improved model. Can't wait to get it!
I´m sure you´ll like it and hope you´ll post your impressions!
For me the Chap FRN is just absolutely perfect for a small folder.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

A few initial impressions:

The clip on mine doesn't sit flush and actually popped out while I was breaking it in tonight. I tightened the screw and it hasn't moved since but you can see in the pic below it still doesn't sit flush.

The blade also rubs a bit on the FRN scales, I think it would be smoother if the liners came up higher around the pivot.

I'll see how it breaks in, but so far I prefer the non LW version.

-Turbo
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

bbturbodad wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:34 pm

The clip on mine doesn't sit flush and actually popped out while I was breaking it in tonight. I tightened the screw and it hasn't moved since but you can see in the pic below it still doesn't sit flush.

The blade also rubs a bit on the FRN scales, I think it would be smoother if the liners came up higher around the pivot.

Are you a 100% sure you got a "new", "cqi-ed" one?
Even my "old" Chap FRN does not have any of the issues you describe... maybe I just happened to get a very good example?
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:08 pm
bbturbodad wrote:

Even my "old" Chap FRN does not have any of the issues you describe... maybe I just happened to get a very good example?
The clip on my first run LW sits up just like the one in the pic. Now that I think about it I remember somebody mentioning this early on. Hasn't caused any issues for me. As for smoothness, my LW is every bit as smooth as my CF Chap.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:08 pm
bbturbodad wrote:

It's from Blade HQ and has the date code GS. Unless someone put an old one in a new box it should be the CQI version.
-Turbo
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:27 pm
The clip on my first run LW sits up just like the one in the pic. Now that I think about it I remember somebody mentioning this early on. Hasn't caused any issues for me. As for smoothness, my LW is every bit as smooth as my CF Chap.
This one isn't even close to as smooth as my Raffir Noble one.
-Turbo
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

bbturbodad wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:47 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:27 pm
This one isn't even close to as smooth as my Raffir Noble one.

Sorry to hear that.
As said, sure my Chap FRN took some time to break in, but now it's definitely as smooth in action as all my other backlocks. Just a bit harder to flick, but that's due to the very light blade, not the action...
Last edited by Wartstein on Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:00 am
Sorry to hear that.
As said, sure my Chap FRN took some time to break in, but now it's definitely as smooth in action as all my other backlocks. Just a bit harder to flic, but that's due to the very light blade, not the action...
It actually flicks fairly well. It's just not smooth with a regular thumb open. It feels kind of "crunchy" so I took it apart, cleaned it out and it still feels the same. If it doesn't get better I may send in to Golden to have them take a look. It's a production knife 'stuff' happens.
-Turbo
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

bbturbodad wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:52 am
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:00 am
It actually flicks fairly well. It's just not smooth with a regular thumb open. It feels kind of "crunchy" so I took it apart, cleaned it out and it still feels the same. If it doesn't get better I may send in to Golden to have them take a look. It's a production knife 'stuff' happens.
I'd definitely send it in (if you live in the US)!
Maybe the most prominent property of my Chap FRN is its absolutely perfect fit and finish (and other Chap FRN owners say so too), feeling "crunchy" can't be normal....
zippifish

Post by zippifish »

Got my new Chap LW last Friday, clip tension was tighter than I want it, pulled hard on the clip hoping it would release some of the tension, it did and now it's perfect and no way is that clip coming loose or popping off accidentally. Blade is perfectly centered and when the lock bar is completely released the blade drops freely and there is no side to side blade play so the pivot tension is just perfect.

Lubed the pivot with KPL and have opened and closed the knife easily a few hundred times trying to break-in the lock bar spring, my thumb finally said no mas! no mas! so today I'll break the knife down and try the spring adjustment to see if that helps.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

zippifish wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:41 am

Lubed the pivot with KPL and have opened and closed the knife easily a few hundred times trying to break-in the lock bar spring, my thumb finally said no mas! no mas! so today I'll break the knife down and try the spring adjustment to see if that helps.
Maybe you could post one or two pics of the mod for those who want to do it too?
My own Chap LW is perfect as it is now, so I personally don't need to do the mod...
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:48 am
Maybe you could post one or two pics of the mod for those who want to do it too?
My own Chap LW is perfect as it is now, so I personally don't need to do the mod...
viewtopic.php?p=1191817#p1191817

viewtopic.php?p=1192027#p1192027

viewtopic.php?p=1201596#p1201596
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:13 am
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:48 am
viewtopic.php?p=1191817#p1191817

viewtopic.php?p=1192027#p1192027

viewtopic.php?p=1201596#p1201596

Thanks, great service for all who want to do the mod!! I had no time to search for this thread myself.

So, anyone who finds the lock to hard to operate: Look at Sharp Guys pic where you can see the spring (looking a bit like a piece of dark wire): Just position it a bit forward in the slot it is seated in.
Sharp guy, I allowed myself to edit one of your pics a bit so everyone can see what to do. Hope that's ok..?

Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

Received mine yesterday. Lock was very stiff, so I moved the lock bar spring slightly out, as pictured above. Makes the lock significantly less tight/stiff and is easier to engage. I like it much better!
FullFlatMind

Post by FullFlatMind »

I might do this to mine later.
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

I figured out what was causing the crunchiness. Because the lock on mine was so tight it was forcing me to use extra pressure to open the blade which caused it to torque into the scale causing both rubbing, and as a result, shavings from scale to work their way into the pivot area. Moving the spring forward not only made the lock easier to operate, it reduced the pressure needed to open the knife which in turn keeps the blade from rubbing against the scales.

In short, the spring 'mod' fixed my issues.

Here's a pic of that shows where it was rubbing...

-Turbo
zippifish

Post by zippifish »

Just finished moving the spring out and it does make a difference, had a DF2 Salt delivered at the same time and haven't messed with it at all or lubed the knife yet because I may Rit Dye it and the lock bar on the DF2 is still noticeably softer to release.

After a couple of tries and concentrated effort I was able to Spydie flick the Chap, my thumb is happier as well so there is that. :)

Hope the spring tension softens up a little more down the road with use. ;)
grubetown

Post by grubetown »

I shouldn’t have got so excited. I moved over the weekend and mixed up my billing address so my order got cancelled and now the Chaparral is out of stock :(
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Lots of issues with this lightweight version, I hope Spyderco fixes everything before a Salt version is released :rolleyes:
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

tonijedi wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:08 pm
Lots of issues with this lightweight version, I hope Spyderco fixes everything before a Salt version is released :rolleyes:
I don't think there's "lots of issues"