Manix titanium ball bearing cage

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PStone

Re: Manix titanium ball bearing cage

Post by PStone »

MMGRenovations wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:00 pm
I got mine in and they feel really good. They definitely have more aggressive jimping. They are also a little gritty. I hope it goes away with use. Image
Awesome! Thank you! That’s what I was hoping to hear about the texture. :D The grittiness though? Is it from rubbing on the liners?
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

They said it will require some break in on the website. More importantly we need pictures.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

awa54 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:41 pm
Just as an FYI: Flytanium heard our plea and now has Ti, brass and copper Manix 2 ball cages available!

I have a Ti cage on order (sadly, it's blue as they don't have natural finish available now, despite the only image being the naked Ti) and as soon as it's installed in my CruWear/CF Manix, I'll report back on the details.
I'm not certain how titanium May differ but I used to remove anodizing from aluminum parts with Easy Off oven cleaner.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Copper cage.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
MMGRenovations

Post by MMGRenovations »

Sorry I didn’t notice the picture didn’t work on my other post
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:50 pm
awa54 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:41 pm
Just as an FYI: Flytanium heard our plea and now has Ti, brass and copper Manix 2 ball cages available!

I have a Ti cage on order (sadly, it's blue as they don't have natural finish available now, despite the only image being the naked Ti) and as soon as it's installed in my CruWear/CF Manix, I'll report back on the details.
I'm not certain how titanium May differ but I used to remove anodizing from aluminum parts with Easy Off oven cleaner.

depending on how dark the blue ano is I may install the Ti cage on my S110V Manix... if it works out *and* they don't get natural finish back in stock, then I can try the oven cleaner.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
MMGRenovations

Post by MMGRenovations »

DirtMcGirt wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:12 pm
MMGRenovations wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:00 pm
I got mine in and they feel really good. They definitely have more aggressive jimping. They are also a little gritty. I hope it goes away with use. Image
Awesome! Thank you! That’s what I was hoping to hear about the texture. :D The grittiness though? Is it from rubbing on the liners?
No the grittiness feels like it’s coming from the ball rolling in the cage. I think it will smooth out. I wonder if the copper one feels like that as well.
bearfacedkiller

My copper cage feels just like the plastic one did. It was a little tight at first but I only had to open and close it a couple dozen times and it smoothed right out.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i wish spyderco had used a different material than plastic for the g10 manix. i’ve never thought the plastic looked or felt right with the g10. it’s fine for the lw though.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
bearfacedkiller

ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:28 pm
i wish spyderco had used a different material than plastic for the g10 manix. i’ve never thought the plastic looked or felt right with the g10. it’s fine for the lw though.
The Manix cage is an intricate part. Making it metal requires machining a small part. These aftermarket cages are over $30 and made in China. If Spyderco sold the Manix with a metal cage that was made in Golden I would expect the price of the Manix to go up considerably. That is most likely why they are plastic.

Having bought one of the metal cages I can say that I see no benefit functionally to them. It is probably more durable but i never broke the plastic one either. I bought it for aesethetics.
-Darby
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

Flytanium has Manix ball cages in Titanium ($39), copper ($34) and brass ($34). The titanium ones come in either a stonewash or anodized for $6 more. *edit* oops, totally missed the fact that there are 3 pages and this fact has already been stated :o
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
ferider

Post by ferider »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:18 am
Having bought one of the metal cages I can say that I see no benefit functionally to them. It is probably more durable but i never broke the plastic one either. I bought it for aesethetics.
For the original black cages, I agree with you.

However, I have had two broken white cages, one in a knife from ebay, one I broke myself. I just exchanged two white cages on XHP Manixes with Ti ones, and there it makes a noticeable difference: even the action feels a little snappier. Now, I put in ceramic bearings too, so not sure if the improvement comes from the bearings or the Ti cages.
JohnAPA

Post by JohnAPA »

Is it the same size as the Manix XL cage?
ferider

Post by ferider »

JohnAPA wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:09 pm
Is it the same size as the Manix XL cage?
Yes.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

ferider wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:14 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:18 am
For the original black cages, I agree with you.

However, I have had two broken white cages, one in a knife from ebay, one I broke myself. I just exchanged two white cages on XHP Manixes with Ti ones, and there it makes a noticeable difference: even the action feels a little snappier. Now, I put in ceramic bearings too, so not sure if the improvement comes from the bearings or the Ti cages.

not that I don't own a caliper, but do you remember what size ball is in the Manix lock?
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
kirilpetkov

Post by kirilpetkov »

The size of the ball is 3/16. In this subject I have shown my tuning on my Manix.

viewtopic.php?t=77547
ferider

Post by ferider »

David, if you use Amazon, I bought these and they work: 3/16" Inch Si3N4 Silicon Nitride Ceramic Ball Bearings G5-5 Balls.
ferider

Post by ferider »

All three have ceramic bearings now, too. Interestingly, the new cage/bearing fixed the XL (s90v) lock-stick that I couldn't fix before. And the cage is more accessible, which was a problem with the fat Cuscadi scales before.

shunsui

Post by shunsui »

https://www.flytaniumco.com/item/389/Sp ... -Ball-Cage

Got some in the mail the other day. Didn't think this was ever going to happen.

Elshauno

Post by Elshauno »

ferider wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:50 am
All three have ceramic bearings now, too. Interestingly, the new cage/bearing fixed the XL (s90v) lock-stick that I couldn't fix before. And the cage is more accessible, which was a problem with the fat Cuscadi scales before.

Did you add the extra screw near the clip holes? That's one of the reasons I want a XL because it seems more sturdy like that