Saber Grinds Revisited: Love, Hate, Indifference?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

Re: Saber Grinds Revisited: Love, Hate, Indifference?

Post by elena86 »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:38 am
I'll pass. I hated the Manix 2 until it got FFG. It's also the biggest reason I've never had a Pacific and a big reason I haven't carried my Autonomy since getting a Caribbean.

Pacific is a HG. Try one ... you'll feel the difference.....
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

My first Delica was saber ground. After getting a FFG Delica I was astonished at how much better it performed, especially in corrugated cardboard. After awhile I thinned out and convexed the SG Delica to improve its performance.
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

I'll always go FFG.I don't hate the saber ground,but for me it's overkill.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

elena86 wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:19 am
Evil D wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:38 am
I'll pass. I hated the Manix 2 until it got FFG. It's also the biggest reason I've never had a Pacific and a big reason I haven't carried my Autonomy since getting a Caribbean.

Pacific is a HG. Try one ... you'll feel the difference.....

Yeah my Autonomy is hollow grind too. Better in ways than a standard saber grind and not so much in others. The original Manix 2 had that low hollow and I absolutely hated it. I didn't come to love the Manix 2 until I got the M4 FFG sprint. The problem I have with hollows is that they can sometimes "steer" through certain materials, heavy cardboard for example. Back then I was cutting a lot of boxes and that was an important detail for me. I did carry my Autonomy for about a year and a half non-stop and the hollow grind didn't stop me, and it's fairly low compared to others due to the short blade height but it's also something around 2.5mm thick.

The thinner the blade the less this seems to matter. It never bothered me on my Centofante 4 either and I particularly love the Dragonfly Salt hollow because (for some reason I don't understand) the hollow grind on that knife in particular is higher than any other hollow grind I've seen from Spyderco, and it's also only 2mm or whatever it is so it slices well.

With a saber grind, it can depend on the overall blade grind too. After all, a saber grind is technically a full flat grind up to the top of the grind, so if that part of the blade is as thin and high on the blade as a comparable FFG blade, the performance is the same and the top flat/unground part of the blade won't matter. Unfortunately it seems that most saber grinds are really low on the blade and this leaves them far thicker behind the edge than an equivalent FFG.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Tims wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:25 pm
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:26 pm
Then can I have confident assurance that the saber grind is and will remain with us in knives, for a good long time to come, and especially with Spyderco?
Mate, I can only speak for the entire knife industry and say yes.
Thank you!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

If the Delica was ground higher, as I've said many times, it would be great. It doesn't cut well at all as it is. I'd like that higher grind better than the FFG, except on the wharnie. It seems stronger, and perfect, for some reason.
- best wishes, Jazz.
SpyderEdgeForever

Jazz, if Spyderco offered a folding with a 3.5 inch blade made from a good stainless steel, with a somewhat reverse curve drop point blade and a saber grind to it, and a FRN/Zytel handle, and a lockback, would you get one and enjoy using it, or not?
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

Would that be something like the four inch Ulize
except with a saber grind instead of a hollow grind?

1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
SpyderEdgeForever

Mad Mac wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:02 pm
Would that be something like the four inch Ulize
except with a saber grind instead of a hollow grind?

Yes! That is nearly exactly what I had in mind, that blade shape, but, with more of a saber or flat saber grind.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

(EDIT: To be precise: Whenever I am talking about that the shoulders of the secondary grind are higher up on the blade on a sabre grind than on a full flat grind, of course I mean on blades with the exact same height and the exact same blade stock and the exact same edge angle. So taking an Endura as example: 3mm blade stock, but on the sabre grind Endura the primary grind begins much lower on the blade, its angle is more obtuse than on the ffg one. So just by geometry, if you give both knives an edge angle of lets say 30 inclusive, this secondary grind goes "higher up" the blade on the sabre grind version, and the "shoulders" hit material that is being cut later than on the ffg version. )

Another random point concerning sabre grinds:

It seems to me this kind of grind lends itself towards being convexed better than others, am I right??

I never actually did this myself, nor am I a sharpening/grinding expert by any means.

But I often thought about it when using my sabre grind Endura: As already mentioned, due to the high up the blade "shoulders" of its sabre grind edge (a bit like a "little scandi"), it's great for (shallower) whittling. And would be even better when being convexed I guess.

So an advantage the sg already has anyway, would be even improved.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:38 pm
Jazz, if Spyderco offered a folding with a 3.5 inch blade made from a good stainless steel, with a somewhat reverse curve drop point blade and a saber grind to it, and a FRN/Zytel handle, and a lockback, would you get one and enjoy using it, or not?

3", and no recurve,with a high flat or hollow grind, but not low like the sabre Delica. High, like a Benchmade's high flat grind. That is if it's not FFG with a decent thickness for strength. I don't really like wafer blades like everyone else. I don't like pry bars either, just a nice blade like, say, the Caly's thickness.
- best wishes, Jazz.