Victorinox photo and discussion thread!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
ChrisinHove

Re: Victorinox photo and discussion thread!

Post by ChrisinHove »

Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

DirtMcGirt wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:18 pm
Anyone else try to get the man on the moon release today? Their servers crashed I think. Been trying to connect for the last two hours. I don’t even know what model and configuration it is yet. Anyone know?
I did try to browse their website after reading through this thread for a little bit. Noticed it was "down for maintenance" but hadn't connected it with the release of the moon landing edition!
-Nick :bug-red
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:50 pm
I've decided the Hiker model is what would work best for me. I like the saw and screwdrivers that are part of that model. DLT has a few exclusives, now to decide! Leaning towards the Memphis Belle.

Enablers of ANYTHING sharp around here!!
I've got that model. It is great. I wanted a knife with a can opener, Phillips, and a saw. The Hiker was practically custom made to my specs. :D

Here's an old picture of my Hiker next to a whistle I carved with it. The combination of two sharp blades, a superb saw, and a good awl make this knife terrific, in my opinion, for casual camping/woodswalking.

- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

z4vdBt wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:34 am
The Meat man wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:13 pm
Nice! Did you make the sheaths?

Zulu Bravo LLC did.
Looks very nice. Thanks!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Mushroom wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:28 pm
DirtMcGirt wrote:
Anyone else try to get the man on the moon release today? Their servers crashed I think. Been trying to connect for the last two hours. I don’t even know what model and configuration it is yet. Anyone know?
I did try to browse their website after reading through this thread for a little bit. Noticed it was "down for maintenance" but hadn't connected it with the release of the moon landing edition!

We need a pic:

Beautiful knife! The website is up and running again. This one is tempting.
- Connor

bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

It's a black metal Tinker with Eagle LEM pics on the scales. It's very attractive, but at $96 not attractive enough to sway my comptroller 😏
SAK_1_4603_3PL19__S4.jpg
DirtMcGirt wrote:
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

bearrowland wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:28 pm
It's a black metal Tinker with Eagle LEM pics on the scales. It's very attractive, but at $96 not attractive enough to sway my comptroller 😏

Yeah, in addition to being a limited run I think that Polispectral coating also adds cost.
- Connor

PStone

Post by PStone »

Thanks for the pics! I did finally get connected last night. I was hoping for a re-release of the astronaut model though. :(

The price for this one is actually reasonable. A stock tinker with the polispectral coating will run you $80. So that’s only a $16 premium for a very limited run. I hope they are still in stock on payday this Friday.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

This Sentinel is the only Victorinox knife I own. It's an "old school" back spring liner lock was a gift from a friend.

Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

The Deacon wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:19 am
This Sentinel is the only Victorinox knife I own. It's an "old school" back spring liner lock was a gift from a friend.

That is a very good model, actually.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

What do you all think of the serration patterns on the various Victorinox knives that come with serrated blade options?
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I have the German Army version of the Trekker, which is partially serrated. I have no issues with the blade, which carries a wicked edge.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:05 am
What do you all think of the serration patterns on the various Victorinox knives that come with serrated blade options?

I'd be interested in hearing opinions on this as well. How do they compare to SpyderEdge serrations?
- Connor

SG89

Post by SG89 »

REI has a serrated Spartan right now for $25. Really cool IMO
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
PStone

Post by PStone »

I have a serrated trekker. The serrations are quite different than anything from spyderco. Definitely not as aggressive. About like a steak knife. But still come very sharp and will push cut receipt paper/shave arm hair. They are also ground on the opposite side as most others. The non show side.
PStone

Post by PStone »

My favorite model is the Explorer. It has an end mounted Phillips head screwdriver and a magnifier. I also prefer 4 layer SAKs to any other thickness. They seem to fit my hand perfect. Not too slim, not too big. This one pictured is one of my oldest knifes. Not age, but has been with me almost longest. Only beaten by my retired Buck 110.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Like many here I’ve had a few Victorinox folders over the years but I’m fairly hopeless and loose things. :o

I have an Electrician in my desk’s draw. :)

A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Spydies are not my first acquisition disorder.

I’ve been a Victorinox guy for a lot more years. I don’t pocket them much anymore. Most are strategically distributed in various bags I keep ready for this or that.

Give or take a few, here are SAKs I still have:

Shown above are the Picnicker atop the Adventurer, the Handyman (my favorite) in front of the Champion (bought around 1970), the ubiquitous Classic and the MiniChamp II (the one I’m most likely to pocket).

I once had a Spartan but my wife had to surrender it before boarding a domestic flight in India. She took over my Mariner (it looks like the side-locking Picnicker and Adventurer) on returning home. I had forgotten this theft until she copped to it tonight. :p Now, when I need a shackle key, I’ll remember who has one.

BTW, the Sharpmaker brought back this knife’s mild serrations (my first in a folder) to better than new. Nothing like an aggressive Spyderedge, but ample for cutting line in an emergency on the Cape Dory Weekender we sailed in the Gulf of Maine for several years.

ETA: Well, thanks to the joys of this thread, I now have a new Spartan. I’d forgotten how much I liked it.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Anyone have any experience/thoughts on the Swisstools? How do they compare to Leatherman multi-tools?
- Connor

James Y

Post by James Y »

The Meat man wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:06 pm
Anyone have any experience/thoughts on the Swisstools? How do they compare to Leatherman multi-tools?
I posted some of my experiences with both Leatherman and Victorinox multi-tools, and why I prefer Victorinox, earlier in this thread. I forgot to mention that, IMO, the pliers pivot point feels a bit more solid on the Victorinox multis.

Jim