What happened to the flat-ground Rescue?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
embry386

What happened to the flat-ground Rescue?

Post by embry386 »

At one point, I could've sworn there was a flat-ground Rescue featured in a "coming soon" entry on Spyderco's official site, and also it's listed in this page in a Spyderco official magazine. I can no longer find the entry for it on Spyderco's website. Did it get canceled or something? Am I just imagining the website entry?
Elshauno

Re: What happened to the flat-ground Rescue?

Post by Elshauno »

They're out already
embry386

Post by embry386 »

Elshauno wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:57 pm
They're out already
Then why are they not listed on Spyderco's website along with their other stock :confused:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I've owned quite a few RESCUE models over the years but I've never had one with a Full Flat Grind. I would think with as popular as the Full Flat Grind is getting among knife lovers that it would be a great seller for Spyderco.
I only use Spyderedged RESCUE models. I was so disappointed when the Breeden RESCUE was in the line up and they never offered it or his Captain model in SE :( I'm sure they would have sold 6 times as many as they did in PE.
Any Rescue or First Responder type knife should be available in SE in my humble opinion :confused:
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I have a FFG Rescue 3. It is a great knife, especially for yard work.

White Mountain Knives did a buy-one-get-one-free deal awhile back.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Elshauno

Post by Elshauno »

embry386 wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:00 am
Elshauno wrote:
They're out already
Then why are they not listed on Spyderco's website along with their other stock :confused:
I'm pretty sure they didn't change the model number so sites might not know exactly which version they have. If you want one you might have to call and check if it's the saber ground or FFG version
Chris_P_Bacon

Post by Chris_P_Bacon »

One suggestion to Spyderco that would be helpful, is when a change (or variation) as different as an entirely different grind pattern happens, The model number should be changed by at least one character.

That in and of itself would sure go along way to eliminate confusion, as well as help date the change.

Since spidiewiki moved, there's virtually no information on the old rescue models (like there used to be). So, I've had to do quite a lot of digging through old forum posts, to satisfy my interest.

With so many variations with the exact same model number it's been an interesting endeavor. Luckily I was able to find answers to virtually everything I had questions about.

Just saying, had each variation been designated with a slightly different model number, that task would of been much less confusing.
Currently have 163 :spyder: 's & 41 different steels.
Bench Stones Atoma Diamond Plate 140,400,600,1200. Naniwa Chosera 400,800,1000,3000,5000.
Shapton Glass 1000,6000. Suehiro Rika 5000. Shapton Pro 320,1000,2000,5000,8000.
Naniwa Bonded Diamond 400,600,800,1000,3000,6000. Venev Gen2 OCB Combo Diamond 800/1200.
Spyderco 306UF, 306CBN. Doublestuff2 303FCBN2, & 204MF Sharpmaker w/204CBN for Spidie Edges.
Want List Steels 15V, S125V, K490, M398, Magnacut, S390, SRS-15, Vanadis 8, Vanax SC, Vancron SC,
FK

Post by FK »

I have the new C14 Rescue model with full flat grind, that design along with my Endura Wharncliffe FFG are much thinner at the edge and cut more efficiently than the previous hollow grind blade shapes.

Nice improvement but mainly unremarkable on the forum until now.

Regards,
FK
embry386

Post by embry386 »

Elshauno wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:34 am
embry386 wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:00 am
Elshauno wrote:
They're out already
I'm pretty sure they didn't change the model number so sites might not know exactly which version they have. If you want one you might have to call and check if it's the saber ground or FFG version
Ah. That explains it. The Spyderco website still lists the saber-ground version and no flat-ground version, which is why I was confused.
The Meat man wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:16 am
I have a FFG Rescue 3. It is a great knife, especially for yard work.

White Mountain Knives did a buy-one-get-one-free deal awhile back.
Hey, I think I remember you posting about that deal a few months earlier -- I went to their site and looked at the knife, and it looked like they were still selling the saber-ground version, so I didn't go for it. But I would've really loved to have two awesome flat-ground rescues -- dang websites need to be more clear about these things :rolleyes:

Thanks to everyone for clearing this up, I'll order one of these as soon as I get the chance to visit my local knife store, and I'm sure I'll be posting loads of photos here when it arrives! :D