Victorinox photo and discussion thread!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
The Meat man

Victorinox photo and discussion thread!

Post by The Meat man »

Hey everyone,

Seems like we have quite a few Victorinox fans here, so I thought having a thread devoted exclusively to this classic knife brand could be fun. :)

It is such an iconic knife and I would bet that most, if not all of you, have owned one. My first knife ever was a Chinese knockoff of the Classic, and shortly thereafter my dad gave me a genuine one.

Years later I am still carrying one - today it's my Alox Pioneer - and it is one of my all time favorite knives.

What Victorinox knives do you own, use, or carry? What is your favorite model?
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
z4vdBt

Re: Victorinox photo and discussion thread!

Post by z4vdBt »

James Y

Post by James Y »

Unfortunately, I can't post photos, but every day I carry two SAKs; a Victorinox Executive, and either a Spartan or my Pioneer. In the kitchen, the knives I use are also all Victorinox...a 7" Santoku, a paring knife, a hooked fruit knife, and a serrated utility.

On the occasions I carry a pliers-based multi-tool, it's my Swisstool Spirit.

At one point in my life, when I moved to Taiwan for a decade, my only EDC knife was a Spartan SAK. It served me very well as a sole EDC knife. The Executive I carry today is the same one I've been carrying for 20 years now.

Those are what I've settled on, but I own more Victorinoxes (and Spydercos) than any other knife brand.

Jim
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

z4vdBt wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:45 pm

Nice! Did you make the sheaths?
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

James Y wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:55 pm
Unfortunately, I can't post photos, but every day I carry two SAKs; a Victorinox Executive, and either a Spartan or my Pioneer. In the kitchen, the knives I use are also all Victorinox...a 7" Santoku, a paring knife, a hooked fruit knife, and a serrated utility.

At one point in my life, when I moved to Taiwan for a decade, my only EDC knife was a Spartan SAK. It served me very well as a sole EDC knife. The Executive I carry today is the same one I've been carrying for 20 years now.

Those are what I've settled on, but I own more Victorinoxes (and Spydercos) than any other knife brand.

Jim
How do you like the Swisstool? I'm only familiar with Leatherman.
- Connor

James Y

Post by James Y »

The Meat man wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:15 pm
James Y wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:55 pm

Jim
How do you like the Swisstool? I'm only familiar with Leatherman.
I like the Swisstool Spirit, much more than the full-sized Swisstool. I find the Spirit more 'carry-able'; it's more compact, lighter, and IMO the gently curved handles are more ergonomic and make accessing the tools easier. Prior to my Spirit, I carried a series of Leathermans for about a 10-year period; a PST II, a Supertool, a Blast, a Wave, and maybe others. Leathermans are good tools, but I like my Spirit better. Since 2010, when I bought it, it's been the only pliers-based multi-tool I use, when I need one. The Vic screwdrivers can be a bit more slippery than a Leatherman's during use, but it's never really been an issue with me. I also like that on the Spirit, I can access a tool without the others clumping together. But it really all comes down to personal preference.

The only thing I didn't like about the Spirit is the sheath that came with it. The Velcro stopped working and went to **** after about a year. When I use it now, I carry it horizontally in an old Benchmade Bali-song sheath. I'm planning on getting one of those military-quality multi-tool sheaths that also wear horizontally.

Jim
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I own the Compact, Mechanic Junior, Walker, Classic, and Jetsetter. I also use the birdsbeak paring knife almost everyday in the kitchen.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

The Meat man wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:13 pm
Nice! Did you make the sheaths?

Zulu Bravo LLC did.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

20F7406E-9AF1-4525-8750-157AF7CFC3F1.jpeg
20F7406E-9AF1-4525-8750-157AF7CFC3F1.jpeg (10.19 KiB) Viewed 23785 times
Vacation carry!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I have a few. But my favorite is still the alox Pioneer X. It has all the tools that I need on a day-to-day basis and if I need more I need a toolbox.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
smitnkp

Post by smitnkp »

All that I have. (from left to right)
-Classic stay on my keyring, I can't remember since when.
-Spartan from late 80"s, a gift from my Dad.
-Huntsman, I purchase it in 1997.
-Picnicker, a gift from my mom (probably early 2000) It has serrated blade originally.
all of them have been heavily used and still in use (except the Spartan)
Attachments
Fotor_156363393509764 copy.jpg
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

These are some fine looking knives everyone! I'll get some pics of mine.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I'll have to get the few that I have right now together. Honestly, I've tried to avoid getting into Victorinox because of the potential rabbit hole to fall into. :D There are just so many cool models to choose from!

I thought this was a "Rambler" model, but it seems to have a couple more tools than the Ramblers I find when I search around.

-Nick :bug-red
rangefinder

Post by rangefinder »

Mushroom wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:54 pm
I'll have to get the few that I have right now together. Honestly, I've tried to avoid getting into Victorinox because of the potential rabbit hole to fall into. :D There are just so many cool models to choose from!

I thought this was a "Rambler" model, but it seems to have a couple more tools than the Ramblers I find when I search around.

Looks like it might be the Swiss Bianco copper alox version of the "Vagabond": https://sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Vagabond
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

rangefinder wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:20 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:54 pm

https://i.imgur.com/JJIF4nU.jpg?1

Looks like it might be the Swiss Bianco copper alox version of the "Vagabond": https://sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Vagabond
Thats it! Thanks!!! :D

The name "Vagabond" immediately rang a bell. I've had this one for a few years now but rarely ever use it. It's pretty much new still. :eek:
-Nick :bug-red
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:24 pm
I really love those SAKs with that Swedish type garden pruning saw on them. That Saw is super functional. I've used mine with the Vic Swiss TOOL an Swiss Tool X on many occasions. It's amazing how fast that saw works compared to a regular pruning saw.

That's a decent selection. As I've said dozens of times that Victorinox cutlery tools are truly one of the very best bargains out there on the market.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I've decided the Hiker model is what would work best for me. I like the saw and screwdrivers that are part of that model. DLT has a few exclusives, now to decide! Leaning towards the Memphis Belle.

Enablers of ANYTHING sharp around here!!
Last edited by TkoK83Spy on Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
PStone

Post by PStone »

Anyone else try to get the man on the moon release today? Their servers crashed I think. Been trying to connect for the last two hours. I don’t even know what model and configuration it is yet. Anyone know?
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

Great thread. I've been EDCing an Executive for longer than I can remember. I also EDC a Pioneer. A Classic rides on my keychain.

I addition, I own several of the Solo, Bantam, Recruit, Spartan and Cadet.