Fish: What's Everyone's Favorite? Salt or Fresh Water?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Bloke

Re: Fish: What's Everyone's Favorite? Salt or Fresh Water?

Post by Bloke »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:04 am
I've actually eaten Mako Shark
Hey Joe, you weren’t swimming out around fishing boats off Bermagui late March were yah? :p
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Tims

Post by Tims »

Here in Oz, Freshwater for sport, saltwater for food.

I’ve got a life long love for Bass fishing. For the fish, the tackle and the environment they inhabit. If I could only chase one species for the rest of my life, it would be Bass.

I still enjoy chasing saltwater species though and I differ a bit from Bloke in that I love eating Tailor! They’re good sport too.

I live on the far north coast of NSW with access to some great water. Unfortunately I don’t get as much time on the water as I’d like these days.
Tims

Post by Tims »

I’ve just worked out how to post pictures. I don’t have many fishing related pics on my phone but heres a few.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Would you ever use a folding knife with a flat saber grind stainless steel blade to clean the fish before cooking?
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I prefer Saltwater but freshwater is just as good. Going out again tomorrow morning for some Coho.
Josh
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Bloke wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:04 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:04 am
I've actually eaten Mako Shark
Hey Joe, you weren’t swimming out around fishing boats off Bermagui late March were yah? :p
After a day of fishing you can relax in the Blue Pool.

They also filmed "White Death" there, it was a pre-Jaws shark film about a deadly maneater called "White Death".
Crux

Post by Crux »

My favorite is live fish. They look nicer than when they are a burnt up.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
Tims

Post by Tims »

Crux wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:15 pm
My favorite is live fish. They look nicer than when they are a burnt up.
I can tell your favourite part of fishing is setting the bait :rolleyes:
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Crux wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:15 pm
My favorite
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Someone say Barramundi
CC48AD1C-F4F0-411B-9345-8E43E8BFC403.jpeg
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Bloke wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:58 am
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:44 pm
Bloke, about Australia: How likely is it for people to accidentally hook sharks if they go fishing in deep water there?
Hey SEF, I know you love Shark Tales but I’ve probably told you all I know. Ah, hahaha! :)

They’re more of a pest when they eat the fish you’ve trying to land. :eek:

The Mako’s head weighted 100kg and the picture was taken onboard a pro fishing boat earlier this year, 390km south of Sydney. :rolleyes:
It’s every man for themselves in Australia
E6D3AF5D-7634-4D96-BB1E-85B1C43B9BED.jpeg
E6D3AF5D-7634-4D96-BB1E-85B1C43B9BED.jpeg (11.98 KiB) Viewed 1455 times
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

In America we don’t have much to worry about when fishing so we ca relax.In Australia you have to worry about actually being the bait. Too many saltwater crocodiles and great white sharks and bull sharks and etc. etc. I don’t see how they survive fishing down there. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

standy99 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:18 am
Someone say Barramundi

Nice fish standy! :cool:
Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:14 pm
In America we don’t have much to worry about when fishing so we ca relax.In Australia you have to worry about actually being the bait. Too many saltwater crocodiles and great white sharks and bull sharks and etc. etc. I don’t see how they survive fishing down there. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
Ah, hahaha! It’s probably not that bad Doc. :)

We stopped commercial fishing here in Sydney Harbour and Botany Bay a couple of decades ago. A while later we stopped using traps for Yellow Tail Kingfish off the coast ... we stopped hunting Whales around ‘79 I think and I could buy small glass bottles of Whale Oil I used for making berley as late as ‘83 in Western Australia.

The Harbour and Bay here are pretty healthy with no shortage of fish. We also have the annual whale migration along our East Coast, the whale watching charter business that goes with it along with the alpha predators that usually go unseen. Last year I think it was we had a pod of Orcas off Botany Bay, something that hadn’t been seen in decades.

We also see a seal or two in the Harbour and Bay. Last summer I was fishing off a rock break wall inside Port Botany and a large seal cruised past not five yards off the wall. If I knew how to post videos I’d show you a cheeky seal eating a Silver Bream it caught fix feet off a wharf on the Naval Base I work at here on Sydney Harbour that came and went for weeks.

Snapped these at work Doc. At different times of the year we have all sorts of actions with different pelagics smashing bait fish. Not great photos ...

Seagulls above, Yellow Tail Kingfish bellow and the bait fish in between.

Bait fish eaten and seagulls gone.

Silver Bream along side wharf.

And one I outsmarted. :p

Botany Bay is nice too. :cool:

This is looking east towards the mouth (of Botany Bay) with Yarra Bay Sailing Club in the middle of the shot. At times I walk the entire beach past the clubhouse and back fishing for Flathead.

This one was lucky for a few reasons; I’d caught fish days prior, it was over 70cm and I don’t like taking them that big plus it was my biggest caught on a soft plastic at the time ...I let it go. :)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Bloke wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:28 pm
standy99 wrote:
Someone say Barramundi

Nice fish standy! :cool:
Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:14 pm
Ah, hahaha! It’s probably not that bad Doc. :)

We stopped commercial fishing here in Sydney Harbour and Botany Bay a couple of decades ago. A while later we stopped using traps for Yellow Tail Kingfish off the coast ... we stopped hunting Whales around ‘79 I think and I could buy small glass bottles of Whale Oil I used for making berley as late as ‘83 in Western Australia.

The Harbour and Bay here are pretty healthy with no shortage of fish. We also have the annual whale migration along our East Coast, the whale watching charter business that goes with it along with the alpha predators that usually go unseen. Last year I think it was we had a pod of Orcas off Botany Bay, something that hadn’t been seen in decades.

We also see a seal or two in the Harbour and Bay. Last summer I was fishing off a rock break wall inside Port Botany and a large seal cruised past not five yards off the wall. If I knew how to post videos I’d show you a cheeky seal eating a Silver Bream it caught fix feet off a wharf on the Naval Base I work at here on Sydney Harbour that came and went for weeks.

Snapped these at work Doc. At different times of the year we have all sorts of actions with different pelagics smashing bait fish. Not great photos ...

Seagulls above, Yellow Tail Kingfish bellow and the bait fish in between.

Bait fish eaten and seagulls gone.

Silver Bream along side wharf.

And one I outsmarted. :p

Botany Bay is nice too. :cool:

This is looking east towards the mouth (of Botany Bay) with Yarra Bay Sailing Club in the middle of the shot. At times I walk the entire beach past the clubhouse and back fishing for Flathead.

This one was lucky for a few reasons; I’d caught fish days prior, it was over 70cm and I don’t like taking them that big plus it was my biggest caught on a soft plastic at the time ...I let it go. :)
Those are some nice pictures. You might figure out a way to integrate a Spyderco into one of them and win the calendar contest.

In the last photo I see the two flat fish, but what is that dark colored one? Ha ha ha ha :D Ha ha ha ha
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

great shots Bloke!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

standy99 wrote:
Someone say Barramundi
Yeah I said "BARRAMUNDI" :) and I just had another dinner of it last night. I'm really starting to like that fish. It's really good baked in either high grade Olive Oil or Sunflower Oil. I bet it would be a really "fighter" of a fish just by looking at it.

I just found a local grocery store that sells it frozen. And some fish aren't too bad frozen. I can't eat the same thing more than twice in two days. But I could eat that Barramundi at least 3 times a week. Yeah I really like it ;)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

BLOKE ol' buddy you better stay away from those Salt Water Crocs and those Box Jelly Fish :rolleyes: . I've heard that both of those creatures can potentially ruin a guy's day :eek: . Also I've heard that those "blue ringed octopus" are also something one must stay away from. But in spite of all of that I would still love to take a float trip on the Fitzroy River before I leave this planet.

Why do you guys have so many dangerous creatures ? Heck you've got the world's top ten most dangerous snakes and it doesn't seem to get better either. But in spite of all of that you still got a lot of great fish to eat. By the way I've heard that those EMU birds you guys have are also good eating.
Phil Wilson
Location: Northern California in the heart of the Gold Country

Post by Phil Wilson »

Right now salmon are plentiful in the ocean of the north california coast. I just had some fresh last night and it is the best this time of the year when they are feeding on anchovies. The meat bright red/orange and the oil just runs out of them on the BBQ. Tomorrow I will cold smoke some and also make a batch of grav/lox which is salt cured salmon with fresh dill and black pepper. Very good on a bagel with cream cheese a slice of maui onion and some fresh sliced tomatoes. We have halibut in the San Francisco bay and the near shore ocean waters. Those near here are not the huge halibut in the deep water and farther north in Oregon and up to Alaska but are more like a larger flounder. The meat is very mild and is very nice for fish and chips. It is a pleasure to use an nice sharp flexible fillet knife to peel out the fillets. Another specie local here and up and down the Pacific coast is Ling Cod. This is a bottom fish and also has very firm nice white meat somewhat like a halibut. Great also for fish and chips and in my opinion the best . Right now crab season is closed but in early fall and through the winter we can fish for Dungeness crabs. They may be the best sea food of all especially fresh cracked and just eaten with salt and pepper and some San Francisco sour dough bread and butter. A nice chilled California white wine is is required both during cooking and before to get everything going. Abalone are are also plentiful on the North coast but right now closed to all take due to a few years of red tide. Free diving down among the rocks and kelp beds is the way to take them. Slice thin and pounded to tenderize they have a unique mild flavor. Breaded and fried in garlic butter they are a unique treat. Favorite? all of the above and also Yellow Tail down in Baja along with grouper, Dorado (Mai Mai) and the giant blue Sea of Cortez prawns. Yellow fin Tuna and Albacore sashimi, wasabi and soy sauce and an ice cold Pacifico. Phil
Tims

Post by Tims »

Phil Wilson wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:34 pm
Right now salmon are plentiful in the ocean of the north california coast. I just had some fresh last night and it is the best this time of the year when they are feeding on anchovies. The meat bright red/orange and the oil just runs out of them on the BBQ. Tomorrow I will cold smoke some and also make a batch of grav/lox which is salt cured salmon with fresh dill and black pepper. Very good on a bagel with cream cheese a slice of maui onion and some fresh sliced tomatoes. We have halibut in the San Francisco bay and the near shore ocean waters. Those near here are not the huge halibut in the deep water and farther north in Oregon and up to Alaska but are more like a larger flounder. The meat is very mild and is very nice for fish and chips. It is a pleasure to use an nice sharp flexible fillet knife to peel out the fillets. Another specie local here and up and down the Pacific coast is Ling Cod. This is a bottom fish and also has very firm nice white meat somewhat like a halibut. Great also for fish and chips and in my opinion the best . Right now crab season is closed but in early fall and through the winter we can fish for Dungeness crabs. They may be the best sea food of all especially fresh cracked and just eaten with salt and pepper and some San Francisco sour dough bread and butter. A nice chilled California white wine is is required both during cooking and before to get everything going. Abalone are are also plentiful on the North coast but right now closed to all take due to a few years of red tide. Free diving down among the rocks and kelp beds is the way to take them. Slice thin and pounded to tenderize they have a unique mild flavor. Breaded and fried in garlic butter they are a unique treat. Favorite? all of the above and also Yellow Tail down in Baja along with grouper, Dorado (Mai Mai) and the giant blue Sea of Cortez prawns. Yellow fin Tuna and Albacore sashimi, wasabi and soy sauce and an ice cold Pacifico. Phil
Good God man, how can I possibly look forward to the steak I had planned for dinner after reading that.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I’m terrible at getting pictures but got two Kings today and limited on Dungeoness (5). :)
Josh