Why linerless?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: Why linerless?

Post by Evil D »

soc_monki wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:18 pm

Maybe I'll take my Manix 2 LW and trim some stuff in the yard...

All you need to know right here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=68682
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I like linerless for having less dirt and rust to clean out of liners. For weight, for looks.

As far as what you lose, I find I rarely have need for a knife that can endure the kind of abuse that liners help with. I don't pry with my knives, I don't chop, I cut.

It's not to say hard use knives don't have their place. My self defense knives have liners. My 'heavy duty' knives have liners. I keep an Emerson cqc15 in my car for emergencies, it's built like a tank, titanium liners, and a blade steel that is selected for and heat treated for toughness.

My SHTF knives have liners, but 99.9% of the time I don't need that, and linerless is more appealing. Although on the really small knives like the ladybug manbug dfly, sometimes I wish they had liners.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:40 pm
soc_monki wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:18 pm

Maybe I'll take my Manix 2 LW and trim some stuff in the yard...

All you need to know right here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=68682
Well now... I haven't taken any branches that big out, but now you have me wanting to go do it! However I think my Manix LW bd1 wouldn't fare as well as your s110v!

Impressive!!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:44 am
I can definitely see a place for linerless folders, and I do have one or two that are like that. However, for my own personal sense of safety and comfort when it comes to a pocket knife.....I do like to see stainless steel liners in there. Some people are fine with brass liners but I prefer the liners to be made of stain-resistant steel if possible. It gives that extra layer of protection from accidental cuts or abrasion, and, I like the extra weight to it, it feels better.
Absolutely!!! Couldn't agree more.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

Funny, I personally think that visible liners, especially somewhat thick ones, are ugly. I wish the Manix 2 had nested liners like the PM2 for this reason. And because of this fact, linerless models are fine by me. Goes to show different people like different things.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Linerless knives have there good things but i find not every design should be linerless.

All the manixes and chinooks should keep there liners those designs are not made to be LW.
That is why de new lockback manix failed. If you design a knife to be bomb proof ( like the original manixes )
Then they should have there weight if not you will fail to reach the mental barrier of strenght.
Indeed that new lockback manix will be strong but it wil just not feel that way.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

One thing linerless probably means in many cases: Bye bye custom scales... (which does not really bother me)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
archangel

Post by archangel »

As soon as the Battlestation has arrived, I'll post another pic of my glorious linered lineup (pun intended). ;)
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

apollo wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:58 pm
Linerless knives have there good things but i find not every design should be linerless.
Exactly. There's a ton of lightweight options as is.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:05 pm
One thing linerless probably means in many cases: Bye bye custom scales... (which does not really bother me)

Eh, if they can machine out the inside for nested liners, there's no reason they can't make a solid slab just as easily. If anything there may be some issues with the clip mounts but there are some talented people making scales and I know of at least one custom clip mount on a Military that uses the same mounts as the Manix 2 back lock so it's doable.
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:22 pm
Wartstein wrote:

Eh, if they can machine out the inside for nested liners, there's no reason they can't make a solid slab just as easily. If anything there may be some issues with the clip mounts but there are some talented people making scales and I know of at least one custom clip mount on a Military that uses the same mounts as the Manix 2 back lock so it's doable.

You are right of course. I have a wooden scale Millie myself, and as we all know this model has not really full liners.

What I had in mind (but did not point out) were linerless FRN / FRCP models. I figure custom scales for let's say a Para 3 lw or Native lw in a comparable quality and weight are hard to make.. Think of the very thought through inside of their FRN scales or the time it took Spyderco to develop such that even work with a comp. lock...

What do you think?
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

Interesting discussion. Ultimately I think both are good. If I could only choose one I'd probably go with liners. I just like the feel of them in hand better. Although the improved balance is a nice feature of going linerless.
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

You can make a good case for or against liners.It comes down to what each prefers,and it's great Spyderco caters to al tastes.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:51 pm
Evil D wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

You are right of course. I have a wooden scale Millie myself, and as we all know this model has not really full liners.

What I had in mind (but did not point out) were linerless FRN / FRCP models. I figure custom scales for let's say a Para 3 lw or Native lw in a comparable quality and weight are hard to make.. Think of the very thought through inside of their FRN scales or the time it took Spyderco to develop such that even work with a comp. lock...

What do you think?

I'm almost certain someone made some G10 scales for a Dragonfly but I couldn't find the thread. I've had a few of the newer two piece FRN lightweights taken apart and there is certainly a lot going on underneath. It would take someone with very good CNC knowledge to make but I wouldn't rule it out. They'd just need to either copy the inside mold shape of the FRN or design their own two piece system where the scales mate together male/female like for rigidity.
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:33 am
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:51 pm
Evil D wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

What do you think?

I'm almost certain someone made some G10 scales for a Dragonfly but I couldn't find the thread. I've had a few of the newer two piece FRN lightweights taken apart and there is certainly a lot going on underneath. It would take someone with very good CNC knowledge to make but I wouldn't rule it out. They'd just need to either copy the inside mold shape of the FRN or design their own two piece system where the scales mate together male/female like for rigidity.

That´s about what I thought. Providing custom scales for lets say the Para 3 LW takes a lot more than "just" making two slabs of whatever material and maybe the inside cutouts for nested liners (don´t get me wrong, I am not saying that this is easy to do). Especially if one wanted to match the quality, tolerances, and weight Spydercos FRN linerless handles offer...
So: The trend towards linerless FRN - models will probably be a challenge for most costum scale makers (though there´ll always be enough linered and/ or G10 models to keep them in business... ;) )
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:24 am

From your original post I was imagining linerless knives like the Manix back lock where the construction is already G10. Definitely will be harder to do scales on a FRN model.
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:46 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:24 am

From your original post I was imagining linerless knives like the Manix back lock where the construction is already G10. Definitely will be harder to do scales on a FRN model.

Yep. as said, I did not make clear what I meant exactly in my op. My bad... :(
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

I bought a Native 5 in G10 and it was advertised as having liners but I got shipped the linerless version. At first I was disappointed, but after some use, I will have to agree with those that say liners are not required and add weight. I will also say I like the proud liners on the Manix 2 (i.e. the nubs that stick out). The Manix 2 is already a heavy knife so in that case who cares.

Definitely happy with my linerless Native 5 in G10.