Salt vs Salt 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Pelagic

Re: Salt vs Salt 2

Post by Pelagic »

Jazz wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:52 am
Pelagic wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:45 am
How does something sharp snag on something cuttable?

That makes no sense. Cardboard sucks with serrations in a lot of cuts. A lot of things get hung up - just not as smooth as PE. They can be great, if very sharp and used right. Nothing flies through a heavy nylon belt like SE, when pulled through, not sawed. Anyway, not wanting to start an argument here. I love sharp serrations.

Those pics aren’t accurate of the two Salts. My Salt 1 has very aggressive and pointy serrations - the 2 doesn’t.
Obviously there will be things SE/PE blades excell at, but making serrations less pointy won't make the SE blade some great cardboard cutter, just like even a hair whittling 400 grit plain edge will never cut rope like a hair whittling serrated edge. But also, an extremely sharp SE blade will pushcut cardboard clean.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Surfingringo wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:20 am
bbturbodad wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:31 pm
Thanks guys!

I'm torn because I have a fairly "meaty" hand (thick fingers) so I wouldn't mind the longer handle of the Salt 2 but I find most knives with rounded (I call it pointy because starts jabbing into me by the end of the day) handles uncomfortable to carry IWB which is how I carry.

Oh and yes, the Salt 1 is still around and the sale price of $70 is what caught my attention ;)
I carry a Salt 2 IWB (at 1:00) on a regular basis, often for extended hours sitting in a kayak, and it has been completely comfortable for me.
I’m guessing OP carries his perfectly vertical not slanted, and probably at 3 or 4 o’clock. In that format, the flat butt of Salt1 handle is more comfortable.
Chris :spyder:
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

anagarika wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:10 am
Surfingringo wrote:

I carry a Salt 2 IWB (at 1:00) on a regular basis, often for extended hours sitting in a kayak, and it has been completely comfortable for me.
I’m guessing OP carries his perfectly vertical not slanted, and probably at 3 or 4 o’clock. In that format, the flat butt of Salt1 handle is more comfortable.
Yes, I carry vertical at 3 o'clock. Never thought about carrying slanted. Didn't know that was possible but I just tried it and WOW this could be a game changer for me!
-Turbo
James Y

Post by James Y »

Personally, I prefer less aggressive serrations. Besides less snagging, I've also found that less aggressive serrations are also more stable and roll over less. To each their own.

Jim
araneae

Post by araneae »

Surfingringo wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:19 am
Jazz wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:34 am
Salt 1 has more aggressive serrations too. I love them both.
Jazz, I know you’re an old hand with the Salts, but are you certain that’s true? I’ve owned a LOT of serrated Salts and I have found they ALL have different levels of serration depth and “aggression”. I could be wrong but I believe this is due to the fact that the wheel used grind the serrations wears down over time and knives ground on a new wheel will have a different serration depth (and angle) than knives ground on an older wheel.
I find they differ, but certain models seem to have more consistent grind angles than others. Some of the older byrds actually performed better than some Spyderco models IMO. Geometry counts.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

bbturbodad wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:42 am
anagarika wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:

Yes, I carry vertical at 3 o'clock. Never thought about carrying slanted. Didn't know that was possible but I just tried it and WOW this could be a game changer for me!
Hey Turbo, try carrying at 1:00 with the butt angled in towards the groin area. The knife basically lies on the line separating the belly from the leg. That’s the carry method I adapted for my kayak fishing. I can jump in and out and even pedal in a seated position and don’t even notice it’s there.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I say get the Salt, because you will love it. You will have plenty of time to get a Salt 2 for your second one.
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Surfingringo wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:11 pm
Hey Turbo, try carrying at 1:00 with the butt angled in towards the groin area. The knife basically lies on the line separating the belly from the leg. That’s the carry method I adapted for my kayak fishing. I can jump in and out and even pedal in a seated position and don’t even notice it’s there.
Thanks for the tip. I carried 2 knives this afternoon 1 appendix, 1 @ 3 o'clock both canted and I can't believe it never occurred to me to do this before. I didn't drive today but I think that's where appendix will really shine because the bolsters of the seats in my car are what makes the 'jabbing' really noticeable/uncomfortable.

Who'd a thought asking Salt vs. Salt 2 would've been so productive? :D
-Turbo
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Surfingringo wrote:

Jazz, I know you’re an old hand with the Salts, but are you certain that’s true? I’ve owned a LOT of serrated Salts and I have found they ALL have different levels of serration depth and “aggression”. I could be wrong but I believe this is due to the fact that the wheel used grind the serrations wears down over time and knives ground on a new wheel will have a different serration depth (and angle) than knives ground on an older wheel.

Well, bro, who knows? You have a good point, but every pic I’ve seen of the 1 looks like mine. Here’s a couple pics of my 1 and one of my 2’s. My Salt 1 has been sharpened a fair bit, but it was pointy and very aggressive when new.

- best wishes, Jazz.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

bbturbodad wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:15 pm

Spyderco C88SYL Salt $70

Spyderco C88SYL2 Salt 2 $85

If you look close, the pics are of the same blade here. Look at the scratch/grind pattern on the ricasso.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Those scratches are similar but not identical. Also, look at the H in H1 on the blade. Different color.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Jazz wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:10 pm
Surfingringo wrote:

Well, bro, who knows? You have a good point, but every pic I’ve seen of the 1 looks like mine. Here’s a couple pics of my 1 and one of my 2’s. My Salt 1 has been sharpened a fair bit, but it was pointy and very aggressive when new.

Interesting. I have no idea, they may have changed something with the new salt 2. I do know for a fact though that all of the Pacific salts vary to some degree. Personally I kind of prefer the less aggressive serrations for my work. What is more important to me is that they are sharpened at a low enough angle that they are easy to microbevel.

And yes, I would agree that those are the exact same blades in those two photos.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I would prefer the more aggressive serrations. The more aggressive they are, the more likely I am to buy a sharpmaker to make sharpening much simpler. If the serrations are not aggressive, I feel the need to do what I do currently (sharpen each serration individually), which is a tedious process. Since the sharpmaker naturally reduces the pointy-ness of the serrations, I'd like for them to start out deeper and pointier. I feel like more aggressive serrations are more effective at slicing a large rope in a single fast draw cut in an emergency situation. I also like the more robust tip of the black salt knife. You can tell it has plenty of piercing power while having a stronger tip. Also, you will lose slightly less blade length with each sharpening (whenever I get a knife I initially plan on keeping it a very long time).
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Wasn't it confirmed at some point that the wheels that grind serrations wear over time and this changes the pattern over time? I just had a second Caribbean for a couple days and the pattern on it was very different from my other one.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

bbturbodad wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:42 am
anagarika wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:

When i carry IWB at 3-4 o’clock, I like them tip down. It’s lower and easier to grab & pull out, pinching with just thumb and index finger. Just to offer another variable.
Chris :spyder:
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Tried the Salt (1) in a brick and mortar store and I didn't like the handle as much as I liked on my Delicas, so I went with the Salt 2. Now, the handle on the Salt 2 is a bit different from the Delica's but on normal use you can't even notice.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I've been looking at the Atlantic Salt and the Pacific Salt. I really prefer a sheepsfoot blade (safer on the water), as the knife would be a rope cutter. But I also need a 4" blade for ropes 5" in diameter. Unfortunately I think this leaves me with 2 choices. Continue to use my byrd rescue 2's (I'd prefer H1 steel), or find a Jumpmaster 1 (extremely hard to find). Even if I could find an original jumpmaster I'd prefer a folder so it doesn't snag on things as easily. Basically an atlantic salt XL would be perfect for my needs. Are there any other options I'm overlooking?

I guess a sheepsfoot Caribbean is an idea, but I'm itching to try H1 and the Salt's are much less pricey. I was also looking to get a PE Caribbean in the future so that deters me from getting a SE model.

Edit: you know... The Pac Salt's tip isn't THAT pointy I guess. And I could always modify it easily if I ever cared to. That may be the answer.
Last edited by Pelagic on Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Pelagic wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:02 am
or find a Jumpmaster 1 (extremely hard to find).
https://www.countryknives.com/shop-by-d ... pyderedge/
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:09 am
Pelagic wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:02 am
or find a Jumpmaster 1 (extremely hard to find).
https://www.countryknives.com/shop-by-d ... pyderedge/
Thanks! That is pricey though, haha.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Pricey, yes. Seems perfect for your kind of work, though. You probably wouldn’t need another before you retire...
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”