Salt vs Salt 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bbturbodad

Salt vs Salt 2

Post by bbturbodad »

Besides the handle shape and texturing on the FRN what other differences are there between these knives, and which would you buy?

Spyderco C88SYL Salt $70

Spyderco C88SYL2 Salt 2 $85

I'm leaning toward the Salt because I generally find flatter edged handles more comfortable to carry.
-Turbo
araneae

Re: Salt vs Salt 2

Post by araneae »

4 way clip on the 2. I prefer the newer handles and pocket clip. Are you certain that the Salt 1 is still available? I'd guess most places sold that old stock some time ago.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I prefer the new Salt 2 with the Delica 4 handle, but only because it fits my hand better. I’d get whichever one feels best in your own hand.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
vivi

Post by vivi »

If you want the most compact version, get a Salt 1.

The Salt 2 offers a slightly longer, thicker handle, being 7mm longer. Blades are the same size.

The texture on the Salt 2 is nicer, but the texture on the Salt 1 functions fine. Same texture on the knife in my pocket.

If you like tip down carry, definitely the Salt 2.

I'd go with the Salt 2 for a little extra handle space. The more rounded butt of the Salt 2 is more comfortable too.

On either model I'd sand away the point between the first and second finger groove to make the knife fit my grip better.

Can't go wrong with either one.
araneae wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:34 pm
4 way clip on the 2. I prefer the newer handles and pocket clip. Are you certain that the Salt 1 is still available? I'd guess most places sold that old stock some time ago.
They're still around if you look.
:unicorn
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Thanks guys!

I'm torn because I have a fairly "meaty" hand (thick fingers) so I wouldn't mind the longer handle of the Salt 2 but I find most knives with rounded (I call it pointy because starts jabbing into me by the end of the day) handles uncomfortable to carry IWB which is how I carry.

Oh and yes, the Salt 1 is still around and the sale price of $70 is what caught my attention ;)
-Turbo
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

bbturbodad wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:31 pm
Thanks guys!

.... but I find most knives with rounded ..... handles uncomfortable to carry IWB which is how I carry.....
Sorry, but I don't fully get what you mean ... ?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:52 pm
bbturbodad wrote:
Thanks guys!

.... but I find most knives with rounded ..... handles uncomfortable to carry IWB which is how I carry.....
This part rubs against my sides and gets uncomfortable especially when I'm driving. Today I knew I'd be in the car for 4 hours so I switched from the Manix 2 I carried on my morning hike to my Drunken because its handle shape is (much) more comfortable when sitting for extended periods.

-Turbo
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

bbturbodad wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:17 am
Wartstein wrote:
bbturbodad wrote:
Thanks guys!

This part rubs against my sides and gets uncomfortable especially when I'm driving. Today I knew I'd be in the car for 4 hours so I switched from the Manix 2 I carried on my morning hike to my Drunken because its handle shape is (much) more comfortable when sitting for extended periods.

Now I think you got what you mean :)

So you are not specifically talking about (at the end) ROUNDED handles, but about handles on which the round part at the end sticks out further as where the clip is attached, right (and it would be the same or even worse if a POINTY part would stick out)?
? In other words: You prefer (somewhat) deep(er) carry IWB?
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

I don't mind non deep carry but when the end that sticks out comes to a point yes it is not as comfortable for me as when it's squared off a bit. My body in addition to having thick fingers has thick sides too :p

Tip down would probably be more comfortable but I like to carry everything in the same direction (probably a habit from guns) so I don't have to think and since a lot of knives are tip up only its what I use for all regardless of options.
-Turbo
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

bbturbodad wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:17 am
Wartstein wrote:
bbturbodad wrote:
Thanks guys!

I have Not had that problem. I find it carries very comfortably in my waistband or at least a Delica does. I personally like the longer handle because my hands are fairly large.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Salt 1 has more aggressive serrations too. I love them both.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Jazz wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:34 am
Salt 1 has more aggressive serrations too....
That's really interesting! Wouldn't have guessed that from the pics...
In what way more aggressive? Grinded in an more acute angle? Or in thinner stock? Scallops shaped differently?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Jazz wrote:
Jazz, I know you’re an old hand with the Salts, but are you certain that’s true? I’ve owned a LOT of serrated Salts and I have found they ALL have different levels of serration depth and “aggression”. I could be wrong but I believe this is due to the fact that the wheel used grind the serrations wears down over time and knives ground on a new wheel will have a different serration depth (and angle) than knives ground on an older wheel.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

bbturbodad wrote:
Thanks guys!

I'm torn because I have a fairly "meaty" hand (thick fingers) so I wouldn't mind the longer handle of the Salt 2 but I find most knives with rounded (I call it pointy because starts jabbing into me by the end of the day) handles uncomfortable to carry IWB which is how I carry.

Oh and yes, the Salt 1 is still around and the sale price of $70 is what caught my attention ;)
I carry a Salt 2 IWB (at 1:00) on a regular basis, often for extended hours sitting in a kayak, and it has been completely comfortable for me.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Which one has the smoothest scales? I often have cuts and scrapes on my hands, and the sharp edges on the scales of my byrd rescue 2 can yield excruciating pain when I attempt to reach past the knife when clipped in my pocket. It has forced me to carry it loose in the pocket. This is another reason why I prefer G10 to FRN, and this has become a major concern for me. The smoother the scales, the better.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Tough call for me, neither handle really blows me away but I like the feeling of the old one more than the new, but I also like the added thickness of the new. I loved the old barrel screw clips too. I'd probably stick with the old myself.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Jazz wrote:

^^^ That ! I love pointy aggressive spyderedge and I hate that Spyderco decided to listen to those who complain about the fact that pointy serrations snag. It's a non-issue IMO and it's an easy fix for one who likes mellow serrations but what about those of us who like old school spyderedge ?! What say you Sal ?!
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

elena86 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:01 am
Jazz wrote:

^^^ That ! I love pointy aggressive spyderedge and I hate that Spyderco decided to listen to those who complain about the fact that pointy serrations snag.....
I never had a Salt, but again just from the pics I'd say the serrations of Salt 1 and 2 are done in the exact same way. .. are you sure that they are different in reality??
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

How does something sharp snag on something cuttable?
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Pelagic wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:45 am
How does something sharp snag on something cuttable?

That makes no sense. Cardboard sucks with serrations in a lot of cuts. A lot of things get hung up - just not as smooth as PE. They can be great, if very sharp and used right. Nothing flies through a heavy nylon belt like SE, when pulled through, not sawed. Anyway, not wanting to start an argument here. I love sharp serrations.

Those pics aren’t accurate of the two Salts. My Salt 1 has very aggressive and pointy serrations - the 2 doesn’t.
- best wishes, Jazz.