Centofante love?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ATC729

Centofante love?

Post by ATC729 »

While cruising around the web looking at Spydercos, I came across a blade I had never seen or heard of before, the Centofante 3. It checked a lot of boxes for me since I seem to always be searching for a gentleman knife for work that is large enough to cut my apple at lunch (one cut through the middle).

Have I not heard about it because it's an older model?
Is there something wrong with it and thats why it's never suggested when searching "gentleman's knife"?

I really like it, but I'm curious how I have missed it all of this time.

Edit: typing is hard on a phone...
Attachments
element@2x.png
Sharp Guy

Re: Centofante love?

Post by Sharp Guy »

ASFAIK the Centofante 3 is still a current model and is readily available. If you search the forum there's been threads about it here and there. That's one that I've always intended to pick up but never have for some reason. Not sure why. I guess there's always been something else that I've purchased instead.

The discontinued Centofante 4 (Wharncliffe) is one that I really wanted. I was looking for one for a while there but stopped looking.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ATC729 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:15 am
While cruising around the web looking at Spydercos, I came across a blade I had never seen or heard of before, the Centofante 3. It checked a lot of boxes for me since I seem to always be searching for a gentleman knife for work that is large enough to cut my apple at lunch (one cut through the middle).

Have I not heard about it because it's an older model?
Is there something wrong with it and thats why it's never suggested when searching "gentleman's knife"?

I really like it, but I'm curious how I have missed it all of this time.

Edit: typing is hard on a phone...

The Centofante 3 is not exactly a new model... I had one some years ago for some time.

And I have to say, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it, I liked it a lot:
Let me explain why and by doing so compare it to a real famous model that you might know, the PM2.

- Centofante has virtually the same edge as the PM2 in a much lighter (71 g vs 111g) and shorter package (closed: 11.4mm vs 12.2, and the Centofante is a lot slimmer)
- It has a backlock (vs comp lock),which I like a lot
- It has a very ergonomic handle that should fit most hands (no finger grooves) plus the edge goes right back to the handle (so your hand is placed very close to the edge without having to use a choil
- And the best thing: Thin,but still strong enough blade stock (2mm vs 3.5mm on the PM2); I am aware of only one other Spydie that has such a slicey thin stock: The Chaparral.

Concerning how the handle is shaped without finger grooves and how the edge goes back all the way to the handle, it is a lot like the Caribbean (not in other aspects though!)

So why did I sell it eventually you might ask?

First I am not a collector, I can´t and don´t want to have too many folders, so I have to sell some in order to have the funds for new ones I want to try

What I did not like in the Centofante was the sabre / hollow grind. Slices amazingly well when it comes to material that has a small diameter, but not so much when it comes to stuff that has some height (like your apple....). Than the upper part of the blade acts a bit like a wedge. I prefer thin blade stock coming in ffg (like in the Chap)

What did not bother me personally at all but is something to consider: As said, there is no choil or Ricasso, so closing the knife is a bit more "risky" for the fingers.

Plus, the Centofante can feel a bit "flexy" and soft in the handle compared to lets say a Stretch with its steel liners. BUT, that being said: Functionally it is absolutely strong enough for any knife task.

For a larger "gents folder" it´s sure one of the best choices out there. Go for it!! ;)
Last edited by Wartstein on Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I think it’s one of the longest continuous production Spydercos. It’s not super popular. FRN was passé for a long time and hollow grinds still are for the most part. Also nobody really likes river construction.

But... the blade is super thin and I’ve heard it’s an amazing slicer.

There is a compression lock variant called the Vesuvius I think which is pretty cool too.
ATC729

Post by ATC729 »

zhyla wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:41 am
I think it’s one of the longest continuous production Spydercos. It’s not super popular. FRN was passé for a long time and hollow grinds still are for the most part. Also nobody really likes river construction.

But... the blade is super thin and I’ve heard it’s an amazing slicer.

There is a compression lock variant called the Vesuvius I think which is pretty cool too.
I haven't heard of the Vesuvius either, I'll have to look that up!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

zhyla wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:41 am
There is a compression lock variant called the Vesuvius...
That´s someting I totally did NOT know... thanks, very interesting (though I personally would prefer the backlock).

Funny, that this "Vesuvius" did/does not sell well obviously. It seems, many people like light, not too big knives with a comp.lock and rediscover choil-less models and their simplicity these days... (See Caribbean, and the wish for a Miniversion of it...)
Last edited by Wartstein on Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

Another reason people pass (such as me) is because its pinned construction is kind of a bummer. Other than that it's a beauty.
:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I always pass on this live simply because it was not FFG. It would be OK if the grind was higher but it’s not. Still it is a very good looking knife.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:56 pm
I always pass on this live simply because it was not FFG....

I am totally with you on that as already stated in my earlier post:
If it was ffg, I'd most likely still have the one I had. The Centofante really is a lot of cutting edge in a light and ekegant package.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:28 am
The discontinued Centofante 4 (Wharncliffe) is one that I really wanted. I was looking for one for a while there but stopped looking.
+1.
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

Unfortunately the Centofante hasn’t been upgraded with all the “modern” expectations of 4way clip, screwed construction, FFG, unnecessary liners and is still stuck in the early-mid 90s.

All that said it is a great knife for what you are paying for it. More ergonomic (to me anyway) than a stock Delica, maximized cutting edge, thin blade stock, non pocket shredding smooth FRN ... its an honest working knife rather than an Instagram star, I like it a lot. I’ve dremmeled a bit of the spike off the thumb ramp on mine and it’s a lot more comfortable now.

Relatively speaking they are cheap so buy one and try it, you could do a lot worse.
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

Here's a wharnie to look at (and some other Centofante goodness)

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

PSquared wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:30 pm
Unfortunately the Centofante hasn’t been upgraded with all the “modern” expectations of 4way clip, screwed construction, FFG, unnecessary liners and is still stuck in the early-mid 90s.
If I remember right (had a Centofante 3 for about a year) it has ONE nested liner. Is this correct??

Plus I recall it felt very thin behind the edge. Great slicer when cutting things like cordage (ok, as you'd expect from thin bladestock plus hollow grind...)
Tims

Post by Tims »

PSquared wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:36 pm
Here's a wharnie to look at (and some other Centofante goodness)

The Memory was a real looker wasn’t it. The epitome of class.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm a big fan of the 3 and 4. I would love to see an updated version but I'm not sure that'll ever happen since Mr. Centofante has passed. It seems like this one is still in production as a tribute of sorts. It seems like the longest collaboration run ever.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I love the 3 and 4. We really need a sprint run 4.

It does have one liner for the clip.

It may be a lower hollow grind but it is 2mm stock and slices well. The 4 is a sold performer.

The palladium bug is classy.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

Tims wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:44 am
The Memory was a real looker wasn’t it. The epitome of class.

It’s a fantastic knife. I wasn’t wild about the blue ano but after it got the scotchbrite treatment it became and still is a regular in my rotation.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

My Centofante familia

"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
araneae

Post by araneae »

It's a long running collaboration for a reason. It's a great slicer, lightweight, classy "despite" being FRN, and not terribly expensive. The Cento is definitely worth checking out.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

I just recently picked one up to give as a gift. I like to break in knives I give away a bit as to leave a good first impression to whoever I give it to, and it also gives me the chance to play with the knife myself :D that said, I was very impressed with it the short time I had it. It’s very nice opening, I like the location of the hole relative to the pivot. The blade is also drop dead gorgeous. I’m a sucker for nice swedges, and that swedge combined with the hollow grind makes for a very handsome blade that reflects light nicely from its numerous angles. The handle is also very refined and comfortable to boot. For the money, it’s a fantastic knife. Yeah, it’s pinned FRN, but who cares? Obviously a lot do, but for your average person who isn’t ever gonna take a knife apart it’s a moot point. If it caught your eye and you are thinking about getting it I’d say do it, you should be very happy with it.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.