The PERFECT Double Bladed Folder?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

The PERFECT Double Bladed Folder?

Post by JD Spydo »

As many of you know I'm a really big fan of the C-44 Dyad model ( the big one). Oh yeah I also like the C-39 Dyad Jr. models too. For all of you newbies and people not aware the Dyad models were Spyderco's double bladed folders with one full PE blade and one full SE blade in the same folder. To have one really nice plain edge blade along with one full length Spyderedge blade is like a dream come true for me in a lot of ways and it makes a great folder for fishing, hunting and other outdoor activities.

Now what I am hoping will happen in the not so distant future would be for Spyderco to make a new, improved version of the C-44 Dyad. There have been some minor complaints as to how the first C-44 Dyad was designed so what would you all change if you could? Personally I would like to see any new Dyad design have a lanyard attachment. Because that is a folder that I like to take fishing with me and losing one overboard would put me in a bad state of depression for sure.

So what improvements or changes would you guys implement for a new Dyad model>> or what do you want Spyderco to focus on to make the Dyad better? Now this is for a double-bladed folder with one full PE and one full SE blade in the same folder. I would also like to see it to where the pocket clip could be attached on both sides. So what all changes would you all like to see if Sal were to revamp the C-44 Dyad model?
p_atrick

Re: The PERFECT Double Bladed Folder?

Post by p_atrick »

Benchmade has a model called the 365 Outlast. This is a two-bladed knife with a seat belt cutter. One blade is a drop point in S30V, while the other has a blunted tip for prying, a serrated edge, and is made of 3V. I'm not saying that Spyderco should copy this, but I do find it interesting that Benchmade went with two very different blades (steel, shape, and most likely heat treat). The greater the differentiation between the two blades, the more useful, I think, the knife would be.
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

How about a PE Dragonfly and an SE Cricket "glued together"? Linerlock would be my pick over a lockback, but both can work well on a Double-end design.
jdw

Post by jdw »

I wouldn't make it at all honestly. IMO, JD it is one of the worst Spydies that I have ever owned. I had a full size version that felt like carrying a rock and fit about halfway into your pocket.
Last edited by jdw on Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Ergonomics and clip position.

1) Make the serrated blade a two handed opener and bury it in the handle so the second hump isn’t an ergonomic nightmare.

2) Move the clip up closer to the end of the knife. I am not a fan of deep carry but that high ridin’ Clip position on the Dyad is a no go.

3) Maybe replace the serrated blade with a small saw.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

p_atrick wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:29 am
Benchmade has a model called the 365 Outlast. This is a two-bladed knife with a seat belt cutter. One blade is a drop point in S30V, while the other has a blunted tip for prying, a serrated edge, and is made of 3V. I'm not saying that Spyderco should copy this, but I do find it interesting that Benchmade went with two very different blades (steel, shape, and most likely heat treat). The greater the differentiation between the two blades, the more useful, I think, the knife would be.
I had suggested this knife as inspiration earlier. So I am in agreement with you that this would make a good design for them to draw from. This would fix a lot of the ergonomic problems but Spyderco double bladed knives typically have.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I would not mind seeing something like the dragonfly FRN with an extra blade. The light weight would definitely be compelling.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Wondering is a double blade could be made similar to the Tusk. Frame lock for one blade and ball lock for the other. I would want it stretched out a little and recess the blades more for comfort. Maybe possible, maybe not.
PStone

Post by PStone »

I have often imagined a scaled up version (3+inch blades)of the small stainless clipitool with a serrated secondary blade. Only with g10 or frn instead of stainless handles. I think the design is amazing for ergos and would scale up very nicely. Probably even to 4+ inch blades. Here is a picture I took from the SFO website:
The secondary blade is tucked away nicely with the main deployed. And when the main blade is closed, its spydie-hump also acts as a nice choil for aid in draw cuts with the serrated blade. Just an amazing design overall.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I was thinking about making a dyad with a frame lock, but no matter what if you put the lock on the outside, I think the lock would be wrong handed. Probably why the locking swiss army knives have the lock pushing towards the center.

Wouldn't the compression lock (or integral compression lock) work with this? Compression locks push towards the side you are opening with.

Maybe a hybrid of the Para 3 and the Cliptool like McGirt says with a concave spine on the SE blade to help Ergos. Do we need a lock on the SE blade?
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It needs to either feel the same ergonomically when gripped at either end, or the second blade needs to have no thumb ramp at all so it folds into the handle completely flush do it doesn't interrupt the ergonomics. Or, both blades need to fold completely into the handle with no thumb ramps.

If you took a very basic shape like the Nilakka, where there aren't any finger grooves that would feel awkward when gripped in the opposite end, and where the blade folds completely into the handle, you could give it a second blade and it would feel the same at either end.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

p_atrick wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:29 am
It's been so long that I"m embarrassed to say that I just don't remember the name of the model>> but Benchmade had another double bladed knife back around 2008-2009 I think it was. It had one full sized blade and then a smaller blade that folded out from the opposite side. And I believe it was one of their first S30V knives if I remember correctly. I'll have to take a look at this newer double bladed model they have. I doubt I would break my allegiance to Spyderco but it does have my interest just to look it over if nothing else.

I wish I could remember that one double-bladed model they had about a decade ago>> It was on their main line up when the RUKUS model was really popular.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SF Native wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:11 pm
Wondering is a double blade could be made similar to the Tusk. Frame lock for one blade and ball lock for the other. I would want it stretched out a little and recess the blades more for comfort. Maybe possible, maybe not.
That's a really interesting idea>> because for all intent and purposes the TUSK model really comes close to fitting the definition of a double-bladed folder. I actually wish they could make the TUSK with two knife blades and still keep the MarlinSpike.

They need to either make the TUSK a two bladed model or if nothing else at least starting offering it in Spyderedge. Just about any Mariner, Fisherman or longshoreman would prefer a serrated edge I'm sure of it. And why they wouldn't offer a Marine type folder in SE still has me shaking my head.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:37 pm
SF Native wrote:
That's a really interesting idea>> because for all intent and purposes the TUSK model really comes close to fitting the definition of a double-bladed folder. I actually wish they could make the TUSK with two knife blades and still keep the MarlinSpike.

They need to either make the TUSK a two bladed model or if nothing else at least starting offering it in Spyderedge. Just about any Mariner, Fisherman or longshoreman would prefer a serrated edge I'm sure of it. And why they wouldn't offer a Marine type folder in SE still has me shaking my head.
Oh that would be cool. Especially if that serrated blade was a hawkbill. Don’t know how you would fit all that in there, but it would be cool if you could.
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

For me a double bladed folder is like a car with manual and automatic gearbox.Eiher will work by itself,but put together they will ruin the car.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

The perfect double bladed knife would be a C44 with compression locks.

As far as BMs, keep them in the toilet and off of these forums ;)
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
jdw

Post by jdw »

Really the perfect double bladed folder to me is some Old Timer, Case, Uncle Henry, Camillus, etc. with carbon blades and has been around a few decades. It's hard to reinvent the wheel.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

I've not owned any of the Dyads, but I'm very interested in the idea of double bladed knives. It's already been said, ergonomics are important. The past Dyads have not appeared at all comfortable in hand (one of a few reasons why I haven't purchased one of the new clipitools). I hope Spyderco can find a way to make it work well.

In the past, I've had the idea of a larger knife with a smaller (ladybug size?) blade that folds out from the back of the handle. Different shapes, steels, edges? I'm sure that has been brought up here before. I love all the different ideas presented so far.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

My perfect double bladed folder would be one with a Military blade, a sheepsfoot SE blade (byrd rescue 2), and a 4 inch marlin spike on the other side, all 3 backlocks, all LC200N (including liners).
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SF Native wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:38 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:37 pm
SF Native wrote:

Oh that would be cool. Especially if that serrated blade was a hawkbill. Don’t know how you would fit all that in there, but it would be cool if you could.
Oh yeah that would make perfect sense. That would be an ultimate "Mariner's Knife" and I bet Spyderco would sell a ton of those at specialty stores for sailboat enthusiasts as well as guys in the fishing industry. And keep the MarlinSpike>> because the MarlinSpike is a really handy tool for a lot of everyday chores as well as being handy for sailors and mariners.