Cricket - due for an upgrade?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jabba359

Re: Cricket - due for an upgrade?

Post by jabba359 »

sal wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:48 pm
I've thought about a larger one?

sal
Please call it the (Giant) Wētā if you do.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

sal wrote:

sal
A bull cricket? :) Why not!
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
jdw

Post by jdw »

All I can see is the headline "Giant Cricket Invades Japan!"
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

zhyla wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:05 pm

The Cricket is, I’ve always assumed, intended as a money clip or keychain knife.

To each his own, but have you ever put a fob on a wee knife? It’s way easier to open and actually use.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:01 pm

It's very possible I'm not thinking correctly here, but isn't what you really want is the clip to be on the other end? The lanyard hole is in the back when the blade is open. Which would allow you to attach the fob in the back as you want. But the clip orientation is what makes you put it in your pocket lanyard first.

Thank you. That’s actually what I meant in this case. Clip needs to be switched to the other end. Same with the Copilot. I really like it, but the darn fob has to go in the pocket. :(
- best wishes, Jazz.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Jazz wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:19 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:01 pm

It's very possible I'm not thinking correctly here, but isn't what you really want is the clip to be on the other end? The lanyard hole is in the back when the blade is open. Which would allow you to attach the fob in the back as you want. But the clip orientation is what makes you put it in your pocket lanyard first.

Thank you. That’s actually what I meant in this case. Clip needs to be switched to the other end. Same with the Copilot. I really like it, but the darn fob has to go in the pocket. :(
Yeah I wouldn't want to deal with that either but then I wouldn't want to add a lanyard/fob to a tiny knife in the first place. Then it's not a tiny knife anymore. Especially when it's at the bottom of your pocket. I can open and close a Manbug just fine. The Ladybug is a little harder for me but not so hard I'd need to increase the size to do it. I only have one Cricket (Blue Nishijin) and that's usually only carried when I have blue jeans on with a coin pocket. The clip is still on it but I don't use it. I just slide the whole thing in my coin pocket.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:04 am
Never owned a Cricket, but I have
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

Bloke wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:11 pm
Stuart Ackerman wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:04 am
Never owned a Cricket, but I have
Haha heh!

Jerusalem crickets with an ATS-55 PE Cricket:

An upgraded Cricket:

I'm all in for any upgrades or variants. A fob doesn't suit my carry preference, and when carrying a Cricket I invariably have a larger 2nd SPyderco for more strenuous cutting need than befit the Cricket.

A larger version as queried by Sal would be a winner.
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

The efficient folders remind me of the cricket. A reverse-S on those models would satisfy my desires.

The cricket could be smoother, but unless you do something drastic like a front flipper (the Cricket and Olamic Busker share some DNA, I think) it's pretty much as good as it can get.

The glass fiber and CF crickets looked OK, but IMO the shape of the handle and blade are better off making their own statement. The main problem I had with those Sprint runs was thickness; the Cricket is extra thin, and it should stay that way. A wire clip would be nice.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

FRN Cricket LW. Screw Construction. Tip Up (or 4 way ideally) Deep Carry Wire Clip. Ideally a Salt version with H1 PE and SE. Bidirectional texturing on both sides.

I doubt this will ever happen, but something that actually could happen, and would be a logical next step given the growing popularity of the Dragonfly line would be a Reverse S Dragonfly. I think this and a similar, yet different "Dodofly" would both sell well and be infinitely useful.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

sal wrote:

sal
Oh YES!
jdw

Post by jdw »

I can't imagine what a Cricket XL would look like? I love the idea though and that's why Sal is a think tank.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Why the Cricket and not something like the Equlibrium?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:23 am

That one was horribly dangerous. The edge was right there touching the choil. I got rid of it quick.
- best wishes, Jazz.
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

The advantage the Cricket has over the Dodo and Meerkat is a compact, slim handle and a less polarizing lock type. I would probably be OK with a compression lock a la the Salsa. I like locks that I can close without as much risk of slicing my thumb, but the Walker style lock is very efficient and ergonomic on little knives.

The curvy "river stone" look and feel is core to what keeps the Cricket in rotation for me. The Efficient (et al) is close to that look and feel. I prefer the wire clip, but an Efficient with a reverse S (serrated, of course) would be closer to a big Cricket than the Dragonfly platform would be. I might even pick it over a Dodo or Spyderhawk.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:23 am
I would be in favor of a larger Balance.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

Here's a very quick and very dirty photoshop of a Reverse-S Insistent. ~2.5" blade length.
bigCricket_comp.png
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

zhyla wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:05 pm
Jazz wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:49 am
Here’s why you’re not entirely right, my friend. It aids in opening the small ones by lengthening your grip...
Oh yeah, I know why people people put “lanyards” (not 100% sure that’s the right term for this) on small knives to help make it easier to grab onto. But it really makes little sense on a knife this tiny as you could just carry a larger knife like a Dragonfly and have a far better grip (with or without a lanyard).

The Cricket is, I’ve always assumed, intended as a money clip or keychain knife.
I carry mine in my coin pocket. It is round so it slides in and out so easily. If I don't want to use the clip I can. The FRN has the best smooth edges ever and if you want to it can be clipped next to the skin. I don't need a lanyard to open it.
gibs0n

Post by gibs0n »

sal wrote:

sal
I’d love to see a new FRN at the current size—with the fish scale FRN. I know, nobody else likes the fish scales. Four way clip. Translucent green or blue FRCP would be killer.

But if I can’t have that in some fashion, I’ve often thought another 1/2 inch in handle size and corresponding blade length would be really cool. As long as the shape doesn’t change drastically. The nearly symmetrical oval shape is rather friendly considering the reverse S edge.

The FRN cricket was one of my first two spyderco’s and I wish I bought more of them at the time. I’ve never not had one nearby.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Or what about the McBee Instead of the cricket? I’m sorry I’m not trying to rain on anybody’s parade. I just don’t understand the cricket. I get the McBee though it’s pretty small.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050