What Are You Driving / Have Driven?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SkullBouncer

What Are You Driving / Have Driven?

Post by SkullBouncer »

I've thought about this topic for a good while now... don't recall seeing this on the forums, so I wanted to throw it out there. ;)

It can be anything -- high school cars; pick ups; SUVs; custom builds, from classics and antiques on up to newer / modern models; a friend's special ride in which you would collectively go cruising; even 'cycles, and practically everything streetable in between. If your ride was / is special to you, let's read about it!

=======================================================================

I'll start with my original high school hotrod, my old man's first new car which he passed down to me when I turned 16.

1970 Chevy Nova fast- back coupe, white over bronze with a 307 cu inch motor and a Saginaw three on the tree transmission.

The 307 small blocks were under rated at the time -- not exactly a muscle motor, and yet my friends and I would go up the hill into a parking lot for a large church, and would spin donuts -- pretty much burned the rear tires off the thing, before I started custom work to turn the Nova into something really special. Before joining up in my first enlistment, I topped the hood with a 5 degree Harwood hood scoop, and rear trunk lid spoiler -- never saw another Nova with a rear spoiler. Custom painted metallic burgundy with metallic gold racing stripes from hood to trunk as well along the sides of the body. GORGEOUS!!

Rims are Keystone Classics 60s profile with BF Goodrich T/A Radials for meats; 215s in the front and 235s at the rear.

I still have her -- a little rough these days; she's climbed through five different motors -- two 307s, one 327 and two 350s by the time I was toward the end of my first Naval enlistment. The one that's in her now started as a '67 GMC 375 stock hp 350 w/ four- bolt mains -- a truck motor; read: L'il Monster.

That era saw GM put out three different 350 V8 mouse motors -- 325; 350 and 375 HP incarnations. I bought the short block 375 horse off a friend of mine with whom I grew up, he actually joined the Navy a couple years after I enlisted, both of us wound up in PNSY (Philadelphia Naval Ship Yard) attached to the first super carrier ever built -- the USS FORRESTAL (CV-59) in dry-dock a couple of years into my first hitch.

The base facilities included a huge auto shop; eight bays and three lifts -- a mechanic's dream where a lot of sailors worked on their rides -- also with a very well- equipped tool crib for almost any job -- 100% free of charge.

The heads are the original 1.92" intake 'camel- hump fuelie heads' -- the same castings as the Corvette bow- tie 2.02s. The intake valves and seats were sized and combustion chambers' machined to accommodate the larger 2.02s.

Dual exhaust Blackjack headers into 3" collectors and pipes running in to Thrush Turbo mufflers and on out behind the rear axle.

Balanced and blueprinted, decked and align bored @ ten thousandths; punched out 4" bore to .030 over stock and 4" stroke LT1 connecting rods-- wound up at 355 cu inch displacement.

Pistons are Badger Cast Aluminum high dome 11:25 compression ratio profile (and a method to my madness: as light as a forged 10:1 flat deck piston). You may have a bit of trouble understanding this move -- the 11:25s have more beef in the form of deck thickness, and with a beefier wrist- pin boss profile than the aforementioned 10: 1 stock.

Runs a Competition Cams bump stick: 268H. After the break in period, I was very hard on her at times. This motor bounced the tach up to 8k between shifts; gas pedal floored + sidestepping the clutch pedal. Clutch is a McLeod 11" 168 tooth flywheel (stock was 10 inch); +/- 110 square inch surface clutch disk and 3800 pound pressure plate, TRW throw- out racing bearing.

Valve train consists of TRW 6:1 ratio rockers, Schneider racing tappets, chrome moly push rods; all new SS valves, springs and retainers and a 5 angle seat grind. I have NEVER floated the valve train -- The Nova red-lined conservatively at 7000 RPM, after the torque curve peaked.

Intake is a mid- rise aluminum Holley Street Dominator, topped by 600 CFM Holley 4 barrel with mechanical secondaries + velocity stack.

During the build I moved up to a four speed aluminum cased Muncie M-21 Bonecrusher transmission; close- ratio. What a freaking racing tranny -- this brute is topped by a four- speed in- line V-GATE shifter with reverse lock- out (you might look her up if unfamiliar -- VERY quick shifting). Ignition consists of an aftermarket Mallory Uni- Lite distributor, 40 kv wet coil, optical firing.

1/4 mile times back home here at Bandimere Speedway were in the low thirteens; she's putting out over 425 bhp.

We raced our hot rods at night out by the meat packing plants just a couple miles NW from the base main gate. Believe me -- this was a very popular local event in which cars would line up 2 abreast for about an eighth mile east, awaiting hole-shots down the eighth mile 'Front Street'.
There was always someone (and me at times) who would place an empty beer bottle between the two lanes at the start of the run, and facing the front pair of runners. The race- starters would place one hand on each of the front fenders of the next racers in line, yelling "one, two three -- GO!!" as us starters would throw both arms over our heads with thumbs pointing up and back towards the west end of the strip.
(You would almost have had to have been there to truly get the experience, during non- winter months on the weekends.) Spectator cars lined up solid on both sides of Front St. -- backed in to their parking spots, facing the road up and down the entire length of it.

A lot of stuff in Philly back in those days was downright corrupt under Mayor Frank Rizzo. These type of events had some cops complicit in the activities described and much more. That is, until Mayor Wilson Goode took office and overall just clamped down on lawless stuff from racing to prostitution.

My later love was a 1989 GMC K1500 full- size Sierra 4x4 short bed with liner and top rails. This beauty was customized at Chattanooga Custom Shop, TN. Four tone paint job, manually pin- striped; laser- panels; too much to list right now, getting to be a bit late. I'll look into posting some pix of the Nova in her prime, as well as the GMC.

The Nova is in line to be restored, the GMC was eventually sold.

So there you have it. Tell us about your rides!!

====================================================================

:spyder: :spyder: Stay Sharp --
-- SB / BRUCE :cool: :cool:
bearrowland

Re: What Are You Driving / Have Driven?

Post by bearrowland »

Nothing quite so cool in my stable. I've owned and worked on air cooled VW's for the past three and a half decades, and for the first time don't have one currently. I'm currently running a 5 cylinder New Beetle that has more smoke on the bottom and top ends than I could have dreamed about from its older siblings. I'd love to pick up a '66 Beetle like my first and run a hopped up 2110 cc in it. My old stock 1600 cc that I had in that first Beetle could smoke an 80's Camaro off the line. I miss the days when V8 rockets roamed the streets!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I just bought her on the 29th of June.
2019 Silverado LT Z71 5.3 -she had 10 miles on her.
I love the color- Northsky Blue Metallic.
My 07 Silverado has 275,000 miles. Shes still great. It was just time for a new one.
SkullBouncer

Post by SkullBouncer »

The term 'BADASS' springs to mind :D
I will again be buying a Chevy K1500 - hope it's everything your new truck turned out to be, lucky guy that you are :cool:

-- SB / BRUCE
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Driving a 2018 Hyundai Accent, which is the opposite of cool, but it is very reliable and does very well on gas--which is good because nothing in Oklahoma is close together.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

SkullBouncer wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:10 am
The term 'BADASS' springs to mind :D
I will again be buying a Chevy K1500 - hope it's everything your new truck turned out to be, lucky guy that you are :cool:

-- SB / BRUCE
Man, I truly gotta say, this is the best driving Silverado ever made imo. You just need to drive one. That new 8 speed tranny is awesome as well as the throttle response and no body roll.
The Silverado sits up and inch and a half higher now too.
I realize the Silverado fall a little behind in the tech department as compared to the other big 3 trucks, but shes plenty enough tech for me and just the ride alone cancels out any other negative that one could say imo. Seriously, I was blown away at how darn good this thing drives!
I really hoe you get one. The 2020 Silverado will actually allow the optional 6.2 and 10 speed tranny in other trim models!
I believe it's the RST and Custom Trail Boss. Have no idea why the better decked out LT Trail Boss doesn't get it though lol.
I thought it would be the other way round.
But, as for me I am so content with this 5.3 8 speed, I could care less.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Right now I have these two, a 2015 Mercedes GLK350 that I use for all the boring stuff, like food shopping...

...and a 2005 Mercedes SLK350 that's strictly for fun.

Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I wanna fun car too.....I mean the new truck is super fun and cool to drive, but I would love a car....maybe a Mustang or Camaro?
I used to have a 75 Stingray. Should've held on to that car....
Of course, it's nowhere even near as fast as what they are making things now a days. A regular 5.0 Mustang would be plenty.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Right now I drive a 2019 Toyota Camry.

My most fun ride was a 2001 Suzuki GSX-R750. Top speed 187MPH and I saw that many times.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
willc

Post by willc »

Right now I drive a 5 speed VW Passat.
My first car was a 75 Dodge Dart and my favorite car was my 68 Fury III, I’m 6’ and I could stretch out and lie down in the back seat.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

A buddy of mine had a Fury...what a wonderful ride!!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

From the beginning in 1980 up to 2019:
Fiat 126
Opel Ascona
Fiat Uno
VW Passat
Audi 80 (black)
Audi 80 (white)
Audi A6 Avant
Nissan Pathfinder

The Nissan is best reliable car I ever had, much more than all the Audis I ever owned!
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I won't bore you with a complete list of vehicles owned since the mid 70's :)
A.t.m. i drive a 2016 Huyndai Tucson, planning to get 2019 KIA Niro though as the Tucson is expensive to run, tax, insurance and fuel-wise
My fun to drive/recreational vehicle is a 2019 Triumph 1200 Scrambler XC

"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

I drive a lot of motorway miles in the UK, so my last several cars have all been 2 liter diesels....Nothing like doing 65-85mpg to put a smile on your wallet- and always have manual. No fan of letting the car and the gearbox outvote me on what gear I want to be in. :D

Currently- Vauxhall/Opel Insignia SRI in silver- lovely big 18" alloys on it.
Previously- Volvo S60 D4, Ford Mondeo Zetec, Rover 75.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Current EDC (every day car) is a 2012 Kia Soul+ that my boys named the Toaster Box. I like quirky cars so it fits me. As a kid I liked the old VW Squarebacks too. If I had the money I'd probably get another one. Only downside is my average hwy mpg is around 28 to 30. Otherwise it's been a fun car.

Got one boy headed to college and another getting ready to start his Junior year of High School - I have no spare money for a fun vehicle. I'm in fact having to save up to get my youngest a car since his ride to school (his brother) leaves in a month for college. Somewhere down the road I'd like to get another truck as a second vehicle. Owned 2 in the past and they were very useful and I miss having one around. When the last one got wrecked I replaced it with a more gas efficient car due to my work commute. The savings in gas was like getting a raise.

That said, my favorite car I ever owned was a 1972 Datsun 240Z. Engine was rebuilt by a guy that use to work for Datsun Racing. Fastest speed I've ever driven was in that car. Drove my wife in that car up to the N. Ga. mountains and proposed to her. Was going to go on our honeymoon in it, but the electrical system started acting up. No AC and a black vinyl interior made it brutal to drive in Georgia summers. Sold it shortly after we got a house as I just didn't have the money to work on it. Impractical, but it was fun as **** to drive through twisty mountain roads.
Attachments
KiaSoul.jpg
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Most times, my first vehicle - a 1995 Ford F-150.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I sold my old 1990 75 Series Toyota Landcruiser a couple of weeks ago all because someone left a note under the windscreen wiper saying he wanted to buy it.

Don’t know what I was thinking but when It drove out of the driveway I realised I didn’t want to sell it at all and I’ve been pining ever since. I feel like an old mate just died. :eek:

A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
flasharry

Post by flasharry »

Well.. Lets see.. I started out on motorcycles in the late 60's.. Yamaha 100cc twin, Yamaha 350 twin, couple BSA and Triumphs, a Royal Enfield Meteor, and a '36 HD UlH, and a junkyard HD KH - mates and I used top buy old bikes to fix up, sell, and then buy more old bikes...
First car was a Datsun 1200 coupe, which eventually rusted to bits and was replaced by a used 71 Jeep Wagoneer. It eventually died, and was repalced by ---- wait for it - a brand new Lada sedan, which was an interesting car - 4-speed manual, with a first gear that was pretty much a bull low, manual choke, fule pump priming lever, vernier adjust timing (manually), mechanical voltage regulator, carb heat winter setting, and best of all, a crank, you could start it with the crank, used to win beer best with that. Best winter car I have ever had that wasn't 4WD... It died, but it lasted past its payments. Replaced by a K-Car 4 door, and that was replaced by a Dodge Spirit. We had a 1996 Neon that was 16 years old when it died (and nearyl us too!) when we were t-boned at an intersection by a Ford Explorer, driven by a young guy who was texting.
So that brings us to our current car - 2012 Hyundai Accent - great little car, suits us to a T..

Now for having driven but not owned - 1949 Dodge Power Wagon, assorted dump trucks, and while I was working as a chauffeur for a while, couple Rolls, a Bentley or two, and assorted Cadillacs and Lincolns..
"You never know what lonesome is, 'til you get to herdin' cows"
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Let’s see…MGB, Porsche 356B with “Bonneville” gears, 914, 911, 1964 GTO 3 2bbls 4.11 rear, Honda 750,Passat, Prius, Sienna Van, Subaru Outback.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Chevy S10 Truck
Nissan 240SX SE 5 speed Manual (heavily modified)
Nissan Sentra SE-R SPEC-V 6 speed Manual
Hyundai Genesis Coupe R-spec 6 speed Manual
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal