Cricket - due for an upgrade?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
GarageBoy

Cricket - due for an upgrade?

Post by GarageBoy »

I feel like the cricket has been around forever in it's current form, but rarely gets talked about anymore, BUT hasn't been discontinued yet, so it must be doing something right.

Kinda want one (tiny hawkbillish blade) but dread sharpening it (okay that's a personal problem)

How would you "upgrade" it?
bearfacedkiller

Re: Cricket - due for an upgrade?

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I love my cricket. I would like to see an frn version done again.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SG89

Post by SG89 »

FRN with FFG wharncliffe blade
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
jdw

Post by jdw »

My FRN SE Cricket remains one of my favorite all time knives. Sadly, it was lost years ago and hasn't been replaced so I would be all over a SE version. I am not so sure about a PE version. I had both at one time and to me something seems lost in this knife in PE. The SE is a beast for such a small knife.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Never owned a Cricket, but I have handled one.

A FRN version might be a good idea.
Limited sales, i am guessing, though?
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I have a CF version that I love. It's a great, functional, yet discreet knife. If can be used as a money clip, which makes it even more discreet.

My daughter's EDC is actually a "tattoo" cricket (the version with the cricket graphic printed on it).

Really nice little knife. Great value for a very useful EDC.

Contrary to most, I think the way to go with this model isn't to downgrade for lower price, but to upgrade with various upscale handle materials. Smooth G-10 or Micarta would be great. A titanium frame lock would be super cool too.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Sal has stated that he was unhappy with flex in the original FRN version. I love mine and would very much like to see it revisited. The polymers have improved as Sal has said and the time might be right for the Cricket lightweight to return. Wire clip please. :)

I would also support a G-10 top scale version. I made one myself, so I know it works well with this model.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

The thing I would change is put the lanyard hole on the proper end of the handle. It's annoying to no end putting it in your pocket lanyard first. Completely defeats the purpose of the fob I like on short knives. A huge part of the reason I rarely carry mine.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I’ll have to admit that the cricket is one life that I just simply don’t understand. Why do people love it so much? The blades she would seem to preclude it being useful across a broad spectrum of tasks. It also seems like it’s very heavy for his size. Maybe somebody here can explain it to me?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
araneae

Post by araneae »

Jazz wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:40 am
The thing I would change is put the lanyard hole on the proper end of the handle. It's annoying to no end putting it in your pocket lanyard first. Completely defeats the purpose of the fob I like on short knives. A huge part of the reason I rarely carry mine.
+1
-Nick

zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Jazz wrote:
I don’t think a lanyard makes sense at all for this knife. It’s just too tiny. That hole is for keychains IMO.

I used to carry my SE cricket a lot. But the frame lock catches the hairs on my hand when I put my hand in my pocket and drives me nuts. It’s a good tiny knife though.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:43 am
I’ll have to admit that the cricket is one life that I just simply don’t understand. Why do people love it so much? The blades she would seem to preclude it being useful across a broad spectrum of tasks. It also seems like it’s very heavy for his size. Maybe somebody here can explain it to me?
The blade is actually really useful for small tasks. The shape is varied enough that it gives you the ability to make several different kinds of cuts with different parts of the blade.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

zhyla wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:50 am
I don’t think a lanyard makes sense at all for this knife. It’s just too tiny. That hole is for keychains IMO.

Here’s why you’re not entirely right, my friend. It aids in opening the small ones by lengthening your grip...

... and it just plain old lengthens the grip. Makes the small ones easier to use, whilst not taking up any more pocket room...

- best wishes, Jazz.
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

My wife carries the FRN daily. I own many crickets and love the style. I'd buy new colours in FRN or any new models.
sal

Post by sal »

I've thought about a larger one?

sal
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Jazz wrote:
It's very possible I'm not thinking correctly here, but isn't what you really want is the clip to be on the other end? The lanyard hole is in the back when the blade is open. Which would allow you to attach the fob in the back as you want. But the clip orientation is what makes you put it in your pocket lanyard first.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Jazz wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:49 am
Here’s why you’re not entirely right, my friend. It aids in opening the small ones by lengthening your grip...
Oh yeah, I know why people people put “lanyards” (not 100% sure that’s the right term for this) on small knives to help make it easier to grab onto. But it really makes little sense on a knife this tiny as you could just carry a larger knife like a Dragonfly and have a far better grip (with or without a lanyard).

The Cricket is, I’ve always assumed, intended as a money clip or keychain knife.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:43 am
Blade is very useful for small tasks (opening packages, envelopes, etc) and it's not that heavy. It feels about the same as a FRN Dragonfly.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Crux

Post by Crux »

GarageBoy wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:29 pm
I feel like the cricket has been around forever in it's current form, but rarely gets talked about anymore, BUT hasn't been discontinued yet, so it must be doing something right.

Kinda want one (tiny hawkbillish blade) but dread sharpening it (okay that's a personal problem)

How would you "upgrade" it?
Maybe you could upgrade to metal bats? :confused:
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
araneae

Post by araneae »

zhyla wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:05 pm
Jazz wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:49 am
Oh yeah, I know why people people put “lanyards” (not 100% sure that’s the right term for this) on small knives to help make it easier to grab onto. But it really makes little sense on a knife this tiny as you could just carry a larger knife like a Dragonfly and have a far better grip (with or without a lanyard).

The Cricket is, I’ve always assumed, intended as a money clip or keychain knife.
Just because you think it's a keychain knife doesn't mean there aren't tons of people carrying them in pocket or clipped. I'd wager most people carry them that way. The d'fly is really great, but the cricket is a different animal altogether. Your suggestion is like saying why carry a delica when you could just carry a police? All good, just different.
-Nick