Real World Anectodal Incidents of Corrosion Resistance

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Pelagic

Real World Anectodal Incidents of Corrosion Resistance

Post by Pelagic »

We all have a general idea as to how corrosion resistant most steels are (offered by spyderco), but sometimes what happens doesn't correlate with the general consensus. 52100 may never rust in an extremely dry environment, and LC200N could see small hints of rust around the engravings when exposed to extremely salty conditions for an excessive amount of time. This is a place to share your incidents of rust/patina/corrosion that surprised you.

Check out the pivot on this s110v military

It got to the point where I could no longer spydie-flick it open. The pivot got it the worst, as the knife was clipped in my pocket (pivot was exposed to the salt air). This took about 15 days to happen, but the environment was highly conducive to corrosion (it was essentially "misting" salt water at all times — you could constantly see the little droplets in the air). Nonetheless, I was surprised at how quickly s110v rusted. Now I'm wondering how 204p would've handled it.

Have you ever been severely surprised by a knife's corrosion resistance, or lack thereof?

:spyder:
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Tims

Re: Real World Anectodal Incidents of Corrosion Resistance

Post by Tims »

I can’t really think of any standouts but I have been pleasantly surprised by the corrosion resistance of s90v
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

What kind of precautions did you take to prevent it? If you went into those conditions with a bone dry blade, this doesn't surprise me at all.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Inside the handles of a mule with Spyderco scales.

Fixed the problem with a felt layer soaked in food grade INOX between scale and handle. ;)
( red strip of felt actually looks good also )
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

How did the blade itself fair pelagic?
I think the finish has a lot to do with "corrosion resistance". My first southfork developed rust and it was S90V. I have a few folders with S90V and never had an issue. The southfork has a very rough "satin" finish on it. I think that's why the southfork rust and my military, para 2, and manix 2 in S90V never rusted. The area on that knife is usually the most unrefined for the para 2. For the southfork I could easily pick the rust out. I used it a lot for food and carried it IWB in the summer. The other folders were usually exposed to sweat, humidity, and heat as well in my pockets.

ZDP surprised me because it will take almost a patina. I used mine for food prep and noticed discoloration on the blade. No actual corrosion but I found it odd.

M390 has been very corrosion resistant in my experience. I've used the mule for years in the kitchen. Recently cut limes with it and left the juice on it for hours. My M390 military hasn't shown any corrosion either.
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

I had some rust spots near the top of the blade on my wharncliffe Dragonfly, but it had spent about 8 hours in my waistband, soaked in sweat and salt water. I was able to clean them off easily enough.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
Spook410

Post by Spook410 »

S110V - Went fishing on the Texas coast. Was using my new PM2 in S110V to cut bait. This was night fishing. Got back to the room exhausted and reels, rods, and knives went without even a freshwater rinse. Checkout was that day and for the first and hopefully last time, I left something of value in a hotel room when I checked out. My PM2 had probably got knocked into some hard to see place in the room. And, to the staff's credit, the knife was turned in to the front desk so when I called, they had it. What followed were staff changes, coordination, a tropical storm, and other delays. I finally received the knife back a few months later. All this time without any maintenance. I expected at least a few spots after a good cleaning but there weren't any. None. Blade looked new. Now.. I usually don't care much about stainless. But when I do care, like a knife to be used around saltwater, don't think I need H1.. S110V works fine.
PStone

Post by PStone »

This was my first lesson in corrosion resistance. Received the KW CF M4 PM2 in May of 2018 for my birthday. Took it to work the next day to put it through its paces. I unfortunately cut some empty jugs that I did not rinse out. They held a fairly acidic peroxide based cleaner. And without realizing what I had done, I folded the knife and put back in the pocket. When I got home and emptied my pockets, I saw the rust. The blade was completely covered and pitted. I almost cried. I used a bunch of barkeepers friend and Flitz, and this is how it ended up.

I still use it all the time. Carrying it today actually. But it is a constant reminder to be mindful of how I treat my tools.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:43 am
What kind of precautions did you take to prevent it? If you went into those conditions with a bone dry blade, this doesn't surprise me at all.
It was lubed with "liberty oil" a green knife lube at the beginning of the job and after noticing the pivot sticking it was WD-40'd daily. It just kept rusting.

The blade received a decent amount of cosmetic rust that was difficult to wipe off, however it did wipe off, no pitting.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

I have been very impressed with the corrosion resistance of all my Spyderco knives. I live a few hundred feet from the ocean, carry IWB and have never rust on any of them, a little staining/patina on the tool steels but not much. I apply Corrosion X on the pivots of my knives when I first get them but never use anything to protect the blade other than wiping them dry after use.

I have a kitchen knife made with MC66 which I understand is Zwilling's name for ZDP-189 and if forget to wipe it down after cooking can have rust spots by the time we're done with dinner. My Dragonfly and wife's Ladybug (both ZDP-189) are much better in this regard.
-Turbo
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I was surprised when both CTS-BD1N and M390 developed patinas upon cutting pork and beef, respectively.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Tims wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:08 am
I can’t really think of any standouts but I have been pleasantly surprised by the corrosion resistance of s90v
Hey Tim, S90V seems fine around freshwater but I’d be weary about leaving it wet with saltwater, fish blood, slim etc.

This isn’t a great picture and it’s after I rubbed off what I could with my thumb. This is the result a few hours after brain spiking a fish, sloshing the knife clean in saltwater and slipping it back in it’s sheath wet on a hot day.

Nothing to worry about and it’s worn away with use but I can’t help but think it would have been a different story if left for a couple of days. :eek:

A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Irrelevant post. :o
Last edited by Bloke on Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
attila

Post by attila »

My S110V Manix LW was my Atlantic swimming/beach knife before I got any Salt models. The blade remained spotless after several submergings and not being cleaned immediately. Some of the hardware (backspacer only I think) leached a tiny bit of red rust color, but it wipes off easily.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
vivi

Post by vivi »

The rust on my Police 4 liners surprised me. Knew the blade would corrode eventually but didn't think the liners would show that much rust so quickly.

Whenever I take it apart and clean it out I'll take some better pictures.
:unicorn
Chris_P_Bacon

Post by Chris_P_Bacon »

Decided to see how sweat and Maxamet get along?
Maxamet (untreated) after One weeks EDC, in the July heat here in central Florida. Wasn't near the coast that week.

I love the steel, just needs to be protected. Going to reserve it for winter carry only (from now on).
Currently have 163 :spyder: 's & 41 different steels.
Bench Stones Atoma Diamond Plate 140,400,600,1200. Naniwa Chosera 400,800,1000,3000,5000.
Shapton Glass 1000,6000. Suehiro Rika 5000. Shapton Pro 320,1000,2000,5000,8000.
Naniwa Bonded Diamond 400,600,800,1000,3000,6000. Venev Gen2 OCB Combo Diamond 800/1200.
Spyderco 306UF, 306CBN. Doublestuff2 303FCBN2, & 204MF Sharpmaker w/204CBN for Spidie Edges.
Want List Steels 15V, S125V, K490, M398, Magnacut, S390, SRS-15, Vanadis 8, Vanax SC, Vancron SC,
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:19 pm
Whenever I take it apart and clean it out I'll take some better pictures.
Buy a tin of Eezox mate for when you do have it apart. I think you may well be pleasantly surprised down the track. :)
Tims

Post by Tims »

Bloke wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:22 pm
Tims wrote:
Hey Tim, S90V seems fine around freshwater but I’d be weary about leaving it wet with saltwater, fish blood, slim etc.

This isn’t a great picture and it’s after I rubbed off what I could with my thumb. This is the result a few hours after brain spiking a fish, sloshing the knife clean in saltwater and slipping it back in it’s sheath wet on a hot day.

Nothing to worry about and it’s worn away with use but I can’t help but think it would have been a different story if left for a couple of days. :eek:

I definitely haven’t put it away wet and salty so I haven’t pushed it but it’s stood up so far with salt use. I’m pretty anal about washing/rinsing my knives though.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Tims wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:54 am
Bloke wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:22 pm
Tims wrote:
I’m pretty anal about washing/rinsing my knives though.
Good way to be I reckon ... the only blades I seem to have corrosion problems with are “stainless” blades. :confused: Ah, hahaha!
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Rust was forming while sharpening a M4 Para3 on my Hapstone. I was shocked to see the rust form from slurry of water/baby shampoo that I used on the stones as lubricant. In retrospect I should have used water only or SM rods. Picked up some pin size pits in the jimping of 52100 the same way...
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049