Chaparral FRN CQI

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jmotley

Chaparral FRN CQI

Post by Jmotley »

In a recent post Sal had addressed the CQI of the Chaparral FRN, stating that the clip screw position was being modified. Like most who own a Chap FRN I am thoroughly pleased with it and hot not noticed any need for improvement. Then yesterday I snagged the wire clip on something and it popped off. No big deal it has happened before on other knives. Usually a quick bend back to shape and screw it back in...

Im not sure if I'm just not getting the bend exactly right or what, but I am having the hardest time getting the clip seated properly again. Just wondering if anyone else has had any issues regarding the Chap FRN clip, or if Sal had any more specifics he could share with us.
elena86

Re: Chaparral FRN CQI

Post by elena86 »

One can see that the wire clip is not strongly attached, it has the tendency to move ... I own two FRN Chappies and both have the same issue. I am very pleased that Sal decided to adress this problem ....as soon as the new improved LW Chappie will drop I shall purchase one. I love it !
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Jmotley,

Sorry you are having a problem. The bend in the clip and the "seating" location have to be right for the clip to function well. You can always send it to us?

Eric and I can test hand made (or SLA) prototypes, and test them again with production prototypes made from tooling, but in the end "real world testing" is the most valuable. Fortunately, we're willing to undergo the time and expense of CQI, which often requires expensive mold or tooling modifications.

sal
blendergasket

Post by blendergasket »

Maybe you can inaugurate the cqi version with a K390 sprint.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

blendergasket wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:46 am
Maybe you can inaugurate the cqi version with a K390 sprint.
I totally grant you your K390, but let it just be a SPRINT (as you said anyway ;) ), for XHP is such a great steel...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Did someone say k390? Yes, please.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
sal

Post by sal »

Sorry on the K390 for the Chap at this time. The foundry said they won't be making any more K390 until October.

sal
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

:D It's ok as long as LC200N is available :D
blendergasket

Post by blendergasket »

sal wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:19 am
Sorry on the K390 for the Chap at this time. The foundry said they won't be making any more K390 until October.

sal
That's a shame, let this autumn rain K390 upon us!
Jmotley

Post by Jmotley »

Thanks for the response Sal. Not so much a problem. I’m comfortable tinkering just thought it was a funny coincidence that days after reading about the clip CQI I get first hand experience. I have since bent the clip back to shape and got it secured better. Such a great knife. Thank you.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

tonijedi wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:32 am

:D It's ok as long as LC200N is available :D

Chap LW Salt is a must have.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'm pretty much going to buy any Chap variant. I own multiples of each so far. But I'd definitely love to see them in various steels.

Maybe the LW could be the "alternate steel" Chap platform, and the XHP could stay for the "original intent" (various handle materials) models? That way the FRN could be different colors for each steel.

K390 and LC200N would both be pretty cool in the Chap platform, and I'd buy them both immediately.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TomAiello wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:56 pm
Maybe the LW could be the "alternate steel" Chap platform, and the XHP could stay for the "original intent" (various handle materials) models? That way the FRN could be different colors for each steel.
That´s a really bad idea... when I am thinking of my wallet ;)
The Chap FRN is probably the only folder I can see myself starting to collect to a certain degree, if it came in different colors and different steels... (though for me the XHP is just absolutely perfect)
Last edited by Wartstein on Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Concerning availability of the Chap FRN: At least some European dealers state: "Availability July 19" or "+/+ one week", on knifecenter one can at least preorder the Chap. Don´t know what that´s worth, but could mean all people who want to try that great little knife will not have to wait for much longer.
Unadan

Post by Unadan »

That KnifeCenter preorder link has been up for as long time so I don't believe that's any indication they will soon have stock.
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:37 am
Concerning availability of the Chap FRN: At least some European dealers state: "Availability July 19" or "+/+ one week", on knifecenter one can at least preorder the Chap. Don´t know what that´s worth, but could mean all people who want to try that great little knife will not have to wait for much longer.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Unadan wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:45 am
That KnifeCenter preorder link has been up for as long time so I don't believe that's any indication they will soon have stock.
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:37 am
ok... bad news, didn't know that, since normally I check only European dealers.
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

Yeah, I'm excited to try a new CQI version. Hopefully we see them soon? Any news on these Sal?
fkmtb07

Post by fkmtb07 »

Interested in seeing the new version. I had a lot of problems with the clip sliding around under the screw on the first one I had. Seems like the grooves in the FRN weren't as deep as they are on the Manix LW or Dfly2.
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

I had the same exact issue OP described, ended up having to carry it clipless.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Same here, major reason I sold mine as well. May look into it again after the CQI..though I found it so slim that sometimes it didn't feel as secure in hand as I would have liked. Regardless, a great job by Sal and the crew to go forth and make a few changes!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick