Ever regretted purchasing a Spyderco model or no?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Ever regretted purchasing a Spyderco model or no?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Has there ever been a particular Spyderco knife model you saw and considered and then declined to purchase it, or, you went ahead and purchased it, and then after receiving it, it did not seem as good as it originally looked, or were you satisfied with all purchases?

I ask because at times I notice a particular knife may look different when viewed from certain angles than when you have it in hand.
Last edited by SpyderEdgeForever on Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
knivesandbooks

Re: Ever regretted purchasing a Spyderco model or no?

Post by knivesandbooks »

The advocate didn't have lasting power for me. It just didn't feel as solid as I was expecting. I regretted the Myrtle for sure. I also still have the Myrtle because I can't sell it. I also regretted my SS Delica after a few days. Great initial impressions, but eh.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:09 pm
The advocate didn't have lasting power for me. It just didn't feel as solid as I was expecting. I regretted the Myrtle for sure. I also still have the Myrtle because I can't sell it. I also regretted my SS Delica after a few days. Great initial impressions, but eh.
I've wondered about the Advocate, too, in that context. Some don't like the flipper mechanism, they seem to think it doesn't feel right or at least the same as other folders in the Spyderco family of knives.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I'm probably going to get lynched for this, but...the Military. Was just too much handle for me and overall a bit too much knife. I could use it while camping, but usually go with my Manix LW and my machete. Would be good for yardwork, but I use my SE Endura I got for an absolute steal so I don't feel bad about using it hard. I just really didn't have a place for it. I wanted to love it, it just didn't happen.

But, I won't say that I necessarily regret buying it. It's an icon and I've been interested in it for a couple years now. Finding the S110V model for $145 was a deal I couldn't pass up. I'm glad I gave it a try for a couple weeks and realizing it wasn't for me, instead of always wondering.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

The LW Chaparral.
Bought it for the purpose of putting some wood scales on it nd didn't realize until too late the liners are nested, making it an excersise in futility to make wooden scales for it, and i am not particularily fond of LW iterations of most Spydies.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Yep.

Everyone suggested I buy a Delica for my first Spyderco.

So I did.

Way too small. No where comfortable to put my thumb.

Couple of tries later I got a Millie and finally understood the hype for Spyderco.
:unicorn
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I have been disappointed with fit and finish but never regretted the whole purchase. I've been pretty lucky and also have made pretty well calculated purchases so I guess I don't take many risks. It's really the opposite for me, the few risks I've taken have paid off and became knives I really like. I don't think this is the same as buying and finding out that a model just isn't for me, which has happened a few times. In those cases I wasn't sold in the beginning so there wasn't any buyers remorse involved.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

No regrets. I've had one or two that I sold, but I never regret trying new things. That's how you learn :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
zippifish

Post by zippifish »

Not yet but I only have 2, have 4 more planned to get in the near future so I'll have to get back to you. :)
justjohn

Post by justjohn »

The ONLY regret I ever had was not buying duplicates when I had the chance. Two in particular are the Burch Chubby, and the Massad Ayoob. :D
- John

:bug-red "Spyderco"...Vēnērunt, vīdērunt, vīcērunt :bug-red
jdw

Post by jdw »

I have regretted the ones that I haven't purchased far more than the ones that I have.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
BobABQ

Post by BobABQ »

Yeah, I can say that there have been 2 Spyderco knives that left me a little disappointed. A Dragonfly and a Lil’ Native both left me a little disappointed. The handle on the Dragonfly doesn’t fall my hand as I would like and the Lil’ Native it is the compression lock. I should have waited and bought a Lockbacks version.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I regret not buying the Knifeworks cf M4 pm2. Got the cf 52100 first, and of course paid full price. Should have done it the other way around, the 52100 is still in stock at discounted pricing.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

No! NO NO NO NO NO ....... but there are some I like better than others and some I'm not interested in, but have never regretted a Spyderco. They are the best thing pocket knives have going for them ... and they are really exceptionally good at fixed blades too.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

NO. Every Spyderco that I've ever purchased I cherish. I wish that I owned approx 10 more Spyderco knives.

I have a large collection, 85 knives, and every knife I've ever purchased I've kept. Never sold one. Never bought one from anyone other than a retailer. I do a lot of thinking about what I want and have a list with about 200 more knives on it, probably 50 that I would buy immediately.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:45 pm
The LW Chaparral.
Bought it for the purpose of putting some wood scales on it nd didn't realize until too late the liners are nested, making it an excersise in futility to make wooden scales for it, and i am not particularily fond of LW iterations of most Spydies.
Just out of interest: Are there other lw iterations of Spydies that are done like the Chap LW?

I mean by that: The Chap LW has liners just like the CF and raffir noble version, but FRN handle scales. It's even not THAT much lighter (ok, by about or more than 10%).

Other LW versions I'm aware of (Native, Manix, Para 3) have FRN / FRCP handles but NO (or minimal) liners

The Sage 5 lw will have some kind of liners though Eric said in an interview...
Last edited by Wartstein on Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Viele. I loved the looks, but it was too slick in the hand for safety.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Lots and lots. Doesn't seem to deter me from buying more
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
ferider

Post by ferider »

Only one: the ATR2. Look's real good on paper, but feels cheap.
allhatnocattle

Post by allhatnocattle »

Sacrilege, but the endura has never fit me right.

And i seem to buy pm2’s keep them for a few months and then “meh” on to something else newer and shinier.

The Shaman and Para 3 LW seem to be the longest lasting in my collection so far...