How to upload pictures to the forum

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
vivi

How to upload pictures to the forum

Post by vivi »

I see people confused with this often, so here's a simple tutorial.

Go to https://postimages.org/ with your browser. You do not need an account,that is 100% optional.

Click "choose images"

Browse for and select your photo. To upload multiples, tap and hold on one image, then you can select others.

It will now upload.

After it uploads you will be given codes. The codes let you share your image.

There are only two codes we need to pay attention to.

1. Direct link. This links directly to your image. If you simply copy and paste it will show up as a link, like this https://i.postimg.cc/MHLQS8mw/Capture-2 ... -56-49.png

Now by using the image code brackets on the forum, we can transform the link into an embedded image:

Code: Select all

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/MHLQS8mw/Capture-2020-07-15-16-56-49.png[/img]
Using these IMG tags is how I posted the image above.

2. Alternatively, copy and paste the "thumbnail for forums" code and it will already have the image code information included. However, these pictures tend to be smaller than using direct links, and when clicked take you to a different website, so I always recommend method #1 with direct links.

Example of using method #2:

Quoting this post will show you all the code used.

Using this method you will never have to resize your photos to share them here.

Here's a video of the process: https://streamable.com/bigncq
Last edited by vivi on Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:38 pm, edited 6 times in total.
:unicorn
Wartstein

Re: How to upload pictures to the forum

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 3:39 am
I see people confused with this every week here, so I'm going to copy and paste my earlier post here. I'm making this topic so I can link to it in my signature, and if anyone has questions feel free to ask them.

Quick try out, let´s see how this works out! Thanks in any case, Vivi!

Edit: Wow, it worked! At least on my laptop (right now) have to try it on my phone too soon!

Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
I see people confused with this every week here, so I'm going to copy and paste my earlier post here. I'm making this topic so I can link to it in my signature, and if anyone has questions feel free to ask them.

Vivi, I´d have a question: Is there an easy and fast way to determine, at which size the pic will be displayed when uploaded in the forum?
While the method itself works great and really easy (on my laptop, didn´t try it on my phone until now), the pics are quite large.
If I´d like them in a smaller format, do I have to resize them BEFORE doing the imgur-thing?

Thanks!
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 7:42 am
Vivi wrote:

Vivi, I´d have a question: Is there an easy and fast way to determine, at which size the pic will be displayed when uploaded in the forum?
While the method itself works great and really easy (on my laptop, didn´t try it on my phone until now), the pics are quite large.
If I´d like them in a smaller format, do I have to resize them BEFORE doing the imgur-thing?

Thanks!
You can do that or use imgurs built in editing tools. You can resize them through their website, even on a phone (Though you'll have to select desktop mode through your browser options, then use an interface designed for mouse and keyboard).

There are also image resizing services like this one: http://www.simpleimageresizer.com

As far as which size it will be on the forum, I can't really say. It depends on a lot of factors. What resolution your display is, how zoomed in your are in your browser, etc.

When I browse the forum images are generally sized to fit the regular width of the forum, and if I click them they expand. So for some folks they won't experience this issue. Probably comes down to which browser you're using.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:44 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 7:42 am
Vivi wrote:
You can do that or use imgurs built in editing tools. You can resize them through their website, even on a phone (Though you'll have to select desktop mode through your browser options, then use an interface designed for mouse and keyboard).

There are also image resizing services like this one: http://www.simpleimageresizer.com

As far as which size it will be on the forum, I can't really say. It depends on a lot of factors. What resolution your display is, how zoomed in your are in your browser, etc.

When I browse the forum images are generally sized to fit the regular width of the forum, and if I click them they expand. So for some folks they won't experience this issue. Probably comes down to which browser you're using.
Thanks, Vivi!!
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Some people seem to be able to get videos to show up in their post. How is that accomplished?
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
rangefinder

Post by rangefinder »

Naperville wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:44 am
Some people seem to be able to get videos to show up in their post. How is that accomplished?
This may look/work differently in mobile browsers, but here's one way to do it with desktop browser. (There may be other methods that work too; it wouldn't surprise me if there's some way to do this with drag-and-drop on Windows/Mac/mobile, but it doesn't seem to work on my Linux system.)

Get the "embed" URL for the video you want to include. In YouTube (which is most likely what you're using) under the video there's a row of text (with the # views, likes/dislikes, etc.) and in that row of text click the word "SHARE". That will bring up a dialog with options for different sites. The "embed" option is first and is selected by default, so you should be able to just click the "copy" button here.

In the forum, click the "full editor and preview" button at the bottom of the message pane. In the full editor view, there are a couple rows of icons above the message pane. The very last one will be a circle with a triangle in it. (Usually this is on the far-right of the second row, but if your browser window isn't wide enough these rows can wrap so it could be several rows down.) If you move the mouse pointer over this icon, some help text will appear that says "Embed any video site url: [BBVideo=width,height]http://video_url[/BBVideo]".

Click that button and it will insert some [BBVideo] tags into your message. The cursor should between the codes, so now paste the embed URL you copied from YouTube and you'll get something like this:

Code: Select all

[BBvideo=560,315]https://youtu.be/SHgENdGr8TA[/BBvideo]
(But it won't be green text. The green text above is because of the "code" function that keeps the BBVideo tags from becoming active.)

Click "Preview" to make sure the embedded video is what you want, then click "Submit". You'll get an embedded video like this (using the example above):

https://youtu.be/SHgENdGr8TA
vivi

Post by vivi »

Note that embedding videos doesn't work with most websites outside of youtube.

Another option if your video is really short, is to convert it to a gif and post the gif as you would any other static image. It will embed just like a regular image but it will be animated, you don't even have to press play. This works best for stuff where reducing the resolution won't make a big difference.

Use a regular video for anything longer than 20 seconds, or anything where you want maximum resolution / detail.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Thank you!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Tims

Post by Tims »

Got it, cheers Vivi
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I still can’t get this to work. I can browse and upload but can’t copy the link on my iPad.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Tims

Post by Tims »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:57 am
I still can’t get this to work. I can browse and upload but can’t copy the link on my iPad.
Can you tap and hold the image Doc? I’m on an iphone so I’m not sure if it’s the same as an ipad but I tap and hold the image, press copy and then past it into the post here on the forum.
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

Thanks Vivi, most helpful.
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
vivi

Post by vivi »

Doc Dan wrote:
See if the updated guide works any better for you.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Vivi wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:10 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
See if the updated guide works any better for you.
Thanks. I’ll check it out. Pelagic has got me using postimage.org. It is super easy for pics but I don’t know about videos.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Manalishi

Post by Manalishi »

Manalishi

Post by Manalishi »

PineyBoy

Post by PineyBoy »

Thank you!
Crux

Post by Crux »

Always believe what you read.

Image by
Last edited by Crux on Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Postimage.org is the easiest way to post pictures. Pelagic was right. It was good advice.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050