Spyderco Knives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RustyIron

Re: Spyderco Knives

Post by RustyIron »

mattc164 wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:31 am
Is this really worth the high msrp? Are the quality of these knives really THAT much better?
Well, to me the price isn't all that high compared to other "nice" knives that I've purchased over the years. I always thought that Spyderco's had a weird look about them, so they were never on my radar. But recently I was in the market for a knife with some specific characteristics, and the Spyderco Manix 2 LW looked like it would fill the bill.

I found the knife to fit my hand very well, even the finger choil. The pattern of FRCP scales aids in holding the knife, but doesn't hinder removal from the pocket like rough G10. The S110V holds an edge well, and it's not hard to get it extremely sharp. The CBBL isn't as user-friendly as the Benchmade Axis Lock, as it can't be operated with a single finger or thumb. And the knife is thin and light enough where it won't complicate your wardrobe.

The Manix 2 impressed me enough that I went out and bagged a PM2. It's an exceptional knife, but doesn't fit me as well as the Manix 2. However, I like the Compression Lock better than the ball bearing lock.

The flat grind and shape of the blades have grown on me. Really, it simplifies polishing to a very precise angle. And the Spydie Hole has really grown on me. After getting used to it, I like it better than a thumb stud.

If you're looking to actually USE the knife, pick out a Spyderco that has the features you want, spend the money, and live happily ever after. You made a car analogy earlier. So if you'd like the Lamborghini, but settle for a Nissan, you'll still be able to drive to 7-Eleven for your free Slurpie, but in the Lamborghini, it will taste ever so sweeter.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

ugaarguy wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:17 pm
SF Native wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:19 pm
My recommendation is to get a para 3 (3” blade) or a paramilitary 2 (3 1/2” blade). Compression lock. G10 handle. Made in America. Lots of sprints come floating along but the basic s30v models are great. And the price is right. These are the flagship to me. If you don’t like this, you won’t like spyderco.
I couldn't disagree more. The Paramilitary 2 has never felt right in my hand, and the Para 3 is just okay. But the Native 5, Sage series, Chaparral, and Shaman feel like they were made for my hand. The beauty of Spyderco is that they have so many blade and handle shapes, and then they offer them in interesting, premium materials.
Fair enough. Personally I’m not a fan of the native or the chaparral. But I know I’m an outlier in that. And I would say your preference is an outlier on the pm2 and para 3. They sell like hot cakes and I’m pretty sure they have had more sprints and exclusives than any other line of knives.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

SF Native wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:43 am
Fair enough. Personally I’m not a fan of the native or the chaparral. But I know I’m an outlier in that. And I would say your preference is an outlier on the pm2 and para 3. They sell like hot cakes and I’m pretty sure they have had more sprints and exclusives than any other line of knives.
I just wanted to put it out there for the OP, or anyone else new to Spyderco, that the company does make folders with a very different feel from the Delica / Endura / PM2 / Para 3 ergos.

You bring up an interesting point. Are we outliers or part of a statistically significant minority? Certainly there have to be customers who like both the humped feel, typified by Para 2 / 3, and who also like the Native / Chap no to minimal blade hump / ramp feel. The huge number of sprints / exclusives, almost all of which which have sold out quickly, are undeniable evidence of the PM2 / Para 3 popularity.

Yet, I think there has to be a significant minority of customers, like me, who the PM2 / Para 3 ergos just don't fit. The Chap LW was selling quickly, yet Spyderco still paused production to do CQI on it. Despite the Para 3's sales, and probably needing production capacity at Taichung for the Chap LW, Spyderco took the time and money to develop the Sage 5 LW. On the value line side, the little Efficient has sold well enough to get new handle colors added, and it's spawned the Emphasis and Insistent stable mates that are due out any day. In the past year or two the Native has also gotten the Lil' Native and Shaman brothers added. Also, the long wished for Native Chief, which existed for years as nothing more than a prototype, has gone into production this year. That's a lot of R&D money and production capacity increase to add that many models.

I think I'm more part of a large minority of customers than an outlier. Whichever group I fall into, I'm glad Spyderco offers folders for us.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

ugaarguy wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:00 pm
Certainly there have to be customers who like both the humped feel, typified by Para 2 / 3, and who also like the Native / Chap no to minimal blade hump / ramp feel.
That would be me. I'm not picky. I have all those and have no issue with how they feel in my hand.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

SF Native wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:43 am
ugaarguy wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:17 pm
SF Native wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:19 pm
My recommendation is to get a para 3 (3” blade) or a paramilitary 2 (3 1/2” blade). Compression lock. G10 handle. Made in America. Lots of sprints come floating along but the basic s30v models are great. And the price is right. These are the flagship to me. If you don’t like this, you won’t like spyderco.
I couldn't disagree more. The Paramilitary 2 has never felt right in my hand, and the Para 3 is just okay. But the Native 5, Sage series, Chaparral, and Shaman feel like they were made for my hand. The beauty of Spyderco is that they have so many blade and handle shapes, and then they offer them in interesting, premium materials.

Now I feel different in yet another way: Out of the four you mentioned I totally love the Chap, like the PM2 a lot, don't care too much for the Native, and the Para 3 is just not for me... just goes to show that Spyderco makes folders for really almost all of us... ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)