Help me to identify this blade

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Archangelblade

Help me to identify this blade

Post by Archangelblade »

My neighbor gave me this...it has no stamp on the blade.
Side view, says 'USA'
Side view, says 'USA'
Angle shows the locking mechanism
Angle shows the locking mechanism
"To be nothing but yourself in a world that tries its hardest day and night, to make you everyone else, is to fight the hardest battle any human being can fight..."- E.E. Cummings
SG89

Re: Help me to identify this blade

Post by SG89 »

Spyderco Q
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Wow those things are worth some doll hairs
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Archangelblade

Post by Archangelblade »

Is that so? I've never seen one and my neighbor just kind of gave it to me. Didn't see any stamps on the blade so I wasn't sure if it was even real.
"To be nothing but yourself in a world that tries its hardest day and night, to make you everyone else, is to fight the hardest battle any human being can fight..."- E.E. Cummings
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Score
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
SG89

Post by SG89 »

They were made with all kinds of different logos or scenes in the blade... Looks like yours is the Spyderco Bug logo
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Archangelblade

Post by Archangelblade »

Yeah it has the spyder logo in the blade. The pocket clip is four position, the locking mechanism is unique. From what I've been able to glean it seems to be a first generation. It's in rather good shape, almost no blade play at all and solid lock. No rust at all and still pretty sharp too. I'm debating if I should try to sell it but with its significance in the history of spyderco and my love for all things sharp and great respect for spyderco as a company I think it might need to be in my display case. Pretty good find, considering it was given to me free by someone who clearly didn't have a clue what he had.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

There were even a few of those "Q" models made with a solid blade as well. Those are getting quite rare. Your's is the most common of them all but it's still one that is highly desired among collectors. Most of them were made with 440C blades. There's actually one with the Jolly Roger insignia and I've heard that one is among the most rare of the "Q" models. Personally I always liked the original, skeletonized "R" model the best of those types of novelty/specialty Spyderco folders.
Archangelblade

Post by Archangelblade »

I've heard of the Jolly Roger one as well. Said to be very rare. When he said he had an old spyderco he would give me, I was crossing my finger for a mosquito....hahaha