Spydies you consider selling or passing on one day

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
archangel

Re: Spydies you consider selling or passing on one day

Post by archangel »

Marulaghost wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:50 pm
So about that Slysz....

Hehehehe... :D
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

I have many that I say I'm going to sell, but haven't brought myself to do it yet. I look at them like a rainy day fund or something, I guess. They are either duplicates or just models that I can't justify having because they never get carried.

Manix 2 CPM-154/S90V (20CV version is more practical)
40th Anniversary Native 5 Thor Damascus (got a good deal on it, but will never carry it)
Sage 5 (I prefer the para 3)
D'Allara 3 (too similar in size to other knives, not thrilled by S30V, a little wide in pocket)
Q-Ball (neat knife, but never gets carried)
Native 5 S30V (M4 & LC200N get more use)
Advocate (I've got the original and CQI)
Para 2 Rex 45 (I've got M4 & 20CV, too similar)
Para 3 M4 (I've got Rex 45 version, too similar)
Caly 3 Hap40/Sus410 (duplicate)
Chapparal TI (don't carry much)
Mantra 2 (like the Mantra 1 much better)
Domino (too wide, not thrilled by the action)
Gayle Bradley 1 (duplicate)

I've been saying that I am going to trim the collection for a while now, but it hasn't happened...we'll see.
So it goes.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I plan to pass on ALL my Spydercos someday. The day when I pitch over stiff as a plank and they all go to my two boys. I've told them to put them all in a pile, flip a coin for first pick and then have at it in alternation.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I’ve only ever sold one knife but I’ve gifted several.

Neither of my kids have any interest in knives but I did gift the boy a S110V Military and the girl a Pink S30V Pm2.

My grandkiddies are still young but my daughter’s little boy, Jack who’s nearly 4yrs seems to have an interest. I opened a toy package for him the other week with a Military and he wanted it. I laughed at him and told him it wasn’t a toy and it could hurt him. He said “I’ll be careful!” I laughed some more and told him to get lost as he tried to take it out of my pocket. Ah, hahaha! So there’s hope yet. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Bloke, my 4yo always wants to hold my knives. I got him the glow in the dark plastic delica so he could have his own. I intended to let it help me decide when he’s ready for a real knife, ie, no running or climbing with it open, no poking his sisters, etc.
archangel

Post by archangel »

I'm seriously considering selling my Pacific Salt right now already, and waiting & saving up to come to the point I will be able to buy the Autonomy 1 and refill the H-1 spot. This will bring my count down by one, cause who knows when I'll have the funds for the Autonomy, or what unplanned other spydie may come in the way. After all, the Battlestation was an unplanned impulse buy and needs to be paid - the Centofante 3 will only return less than half of what the Battlestation costs. Need to think...

By the way, my kids seem not to be interested in my spydies. That isn't so bad actually, they're still young.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
David R

Post by David R »

Have sold many. I'm a "try it and move on" kind of guy if I'm not going to carry it. Definitely not a collector. I still have too many and will sell some. I have a bunch of Mules. They're nice but can't use more than 1 or 2. LC200N Mule is my fishing knife and it's excellent for that purpose. I'll keep another one for general cutting tasks. Outside the Mules I probably have another 8 I need to sell.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

My custom zirikote-wood-scale Military.

Got it "used" from the estate of a collector (I am pretty sure he actually never "used" it). First I did not like the looks of that particular wood, but when you know that the light colored part actually is the very core / marrow of the tree and the dark part the actual wood, that´s pretty cool

Regardless, I just really never carry the Millie. Just a tad too big in pocket, my Enduras give me everything I need when it comes to longer blades, and I need the money for a Chief... or the sun and moon Chap... or... :)

As a matter of fact, the Millie is put for sale right now, but it often takes some time to find buyers for such special knives here in Austria.

Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

I've only sold one so far (rex para2) but that was to fund a few more mules. I'm really not that fond of my manix2 maxamet so I may sell it to get more mules. I've purchased 11 mules so far all are either Pd#1 or pma11...

The Lego feel of the lw manix2 is the only spydie that I've disliked. I've gifted quite a few and of the 30 something I have I'll keep and pass them on to the kids.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I have plenty of knives, but mostly hover around the same number.

I think it’s a bad idea to bank on passing a large amount of knives down as inheritance. Your kids may not care about knives enough to do anything but sell a big box of knives. If you’re going to pass things down do it one at a time while you’re alive to people that appreciate them.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Only ones off the top of my head i would consider selling are the "Smurf" blue value line ones.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Manix 2LW.I hate the choil but i love everything else about it.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.