Santoku

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
stickabush

Santoku

Post by stickabush »

Hi all,

Do you miss a VG10 Santoku with corian handle and same finish a the K1*P series?

What do you think about a knife like this instead of the polypropylene plastic handle one?

Regards.
sal

Re: Santoku

Post by sal »

Hi Stickabush,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

stickabush wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:37 pm
Hi all,

Do you miss a VG10 Santoku with corian handle and same finish a the K1*P series?

What do you think about a knife like this instead of the polypropylene plastic handle one?

Regards.

Not really, for several reasons.

I'll start by saying that I have a K11 Cook's Knife, both the older Kraton handled K08 Santoku and the current polypropylene handled version, and a VG-10 core damascus Santoku by SETO that Spyderco sold for a while a few years back. I'm an older guy with a bit of arthritis in my hands, so I prefer I knife the feels secure in my hand without the need to gorilla grip it. Of the three Spydercos, I find the Kraton K08 to be both the most secure and the most comfortable in my hand. The poly handled K08 comes in second, but not by much, just slightly less secure in the hand. The K11 comes in a distant third, the roundish polished Corian handle feels insecure and considerably less comfortable in my hand than either of the K08's. The SETO's handle offers excellent security but is not quite as comfortable in my hand as the KO8's. Truth is, I was disappointed by the K11 to the point where I didn'tt bother getting the K12 when it was available.

Additionally, having used both, I don't see VG-10 having any advantage over MBS-26 in the kitchen. Certainly not any advantage to justify spending significantly more for it unless it offers the visual appeal of damascus cladding as on the SETO. I say significantly more because, back when the K11 and K12 were in the lineup, the 7" bladed K12 had an MSRP of $199.95, roughly 2.5 times the current $80.00 MSRP of the K08. One would have to assume a VG-10/Corian Santoku would be at least as expensive as the K12. I've found that MBS-26 takes a great edge, holds it well, and is quite rust resistant.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
stickabush

Post by stickabush »

Hi all,

Thanks Sal for your welcome.

Thanks Deacon for your reply.

I don't understand a point, when we talk about kitchen knives the slippery isn't as important as the other knives as we must hold the blade. Mostly on biggest blades as a santoku or a chef knife and on smallest blades we have the choice to hold the blade or put the index finger on the top of the blade to increase the precision so again slippery is not a matter.

I own the K11P and the K12P and love them, I also own Japanese kitchen knives and I simply love how the VG10 and heat treatment are mastered.

Plus polypropylene plastic wear fast compare to the corian or G10.

An other knife I would love to see from Spyderco is a Chinese cleaver, that would be awsome.
mayong

Post by mayong »

stickabush wrote:

I'd love to see a knife like this. I have the K11 and I find the design and construction excellent but don't use it much because of its blade shape.

My go-to knife is a 6" chef's knife which I'd happily kick to the curb for a 5-7" Spydie Corian santoku.
Police | Calypso | Caly 3 & 3.5 | PM 2 | Para 3 | UKPK | Endura | Dragonfly | Sage 2 | Sage 5

"While this test doesn't simulate any logical use of a knife as a tool, since it was a concern of some of our customers, we began incorporating it into our testing protocols." - Michael Janich
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Slippery handles in the kitchen are not for me. I prefer a handle that’s either faceted, textured, or contoured with a palm swell and guard. My hands are often wet while cutting food and I want to maintain control of the knife without having a death grip. The textured polypropylene handles on the current Spyderco kitchen line do a decent job of grip retention at an attractive price point. I also like the Fibrox handles Victorinox uses because they are both textured and contoured.
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

stickabush wrote:
Hi all,

I'm not much of a santoku person, but I do like my K12 quite a lot (have a K11S as well, fits my girlfriend's hands a lot better than mine - but very nicely made for sure). So I probably wouldn't get one but I am very much in support of Spyderco continuing to expand their kitchen cutlery range, including a K1* santoku. :)

On that note... has anyone heard anything on availability for the Carter collaboration kitchen knives? I've been wanting to try out (or at least see pricing on) the "journeyman" series with BD1N blades/G10 handles since I first saw them.
benben

Post by benben »

I have a 5.5" Shun Santoku with VG-MAX steel, it has a D-shaped PakkaWood handle. I love that knife and would buy anything remotely close to it from Spyderco!