Why all the Manix love?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ferider

Re: Why all the Manix love?

Post by ferider »

Dazen wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:04 am
I’ve always tried to love the Manix and I’m still struggling to like it even with all the awesome sprints and exclusives out. I understand how great the ergonomics are, but I guess it’s the overall looks of the knive. I like to carry a knife that when I take it out around people, that may not necessarily be into knives, say that’s a nice knife. I don’t like to have to sell the ergo’s every time to them.

Maybe if Spyderco did a sprint with solid smooth carbon fiber like the Shaman or Kapara, or Titanium and also did a higher end finish on the ball bearing lock I would be more inclined to buy one.
But they did, the 4V version. The prettiest Spyderco I own ....

That being said, I understand where you are coming from: my Manix 2 love is love on 2nd sight. I needed to break one in and use it in practice to understand just how versatile it is.

Regarding looks, I had a sexist joke about photo models vs. Rubens paintings, but I guess I'm skipping the details on that one for now .... :)

Roland.
anycal

Post by anycal »

There has always been a place for the Manix in my rotation. The base LW model was one of my early :spyder:. I prefer the G10 version to the LW. The LW ends up usually being a loaner.

The ease of closing a knife one handed is a thing. Some knives just require you to pay more attention to do it effectively and consistently. Having to palm the Manix in order to drop close it one handed is an extra step, but not a deal breaker for me.

Peter
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Not sexy, designed in the dark, etc. the Manix is a wonderful working man’s tool. I disliked the look, mainly due to the very wide (“pocket hog”) handle, had no experience with the CBBL, didn’t want one. Then a friend gifted me a cut-down (waved) S110V Lightweight Manix, and I just love it. If you need a solid knife for work, the Manix is a great choice.
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Love the blade shape and ergos. Yeah sometimes I find it hard to look at so I put a paper bag over it when I'm using it :D
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Dazen wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:04 am
I’ve always tried to love the Manix and I’m still struggling to like it even with all the awesome sprints and exclusives out. I understand how great the ergonomics are, but I guess it’s the overall looks of the knive. I like to carry a knife that when I take it out around people, that may not necessarily be into knives, say that’s a nice knife. I don’t like to have to sell the ergo’s every time to them.

Maybe if Spyderco did a sprint with solid smooth carbon fiber like the Shaman or Kapara, or Titanium and also did a higher end finish on the ball bearing lock I would be more inclined to buy one.

Am I wrong and do I just need to give in and buy one to experience the wonder of the Manix?
So have you actually handled one or not? It's all subjective I realize, but what it comes down to is.. are the ergos enough to overcome your aesthetic preferences? For myself, and many on here, it seems the answer is yes. I'll admit, I never "got" the Manix until I handled it for the first time. I agree, it's a bit of an odd-duck aesthetically and it does fill up the pocket in a pretty significant way, which is what initially put me off from buying one.. but as soon as I handled one, it clicked. For me, the Manix is one of the most comfortable knives out there and that trumps any reservations I may have about having to "sell" anyone on why I may or may not be carrying a knife. So, to your question, my answer is.. yes! Give in and buy one!
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I have three. I have a backlock and two light weights. The light weights get carried a lot and I mean a lot. I don’t use my pm2 or anything else anymore in the size range.

As for It being a pocket Hog, just stop using the clip and drop it down in your pocket and problem solved.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
NickoP

Post by NickoP »

Personally I'm not too concerned about what people might think about what my knives look like.
I like the handle of the Manix. I like the blade. Mine is a S110V. It swings more smoothly than any other knife I own.
I'm with you on the CBBL though. Mine felt very gritty from new. As I imported it, I resisted returning it. I took it apart, cleaned it, lubed it, took it apart again, gently sanded the black plastic piece a little, re-lubed it, which improved it, but it still wasn't great. I now have a weaker spring in it, which has made it easier to use but that has reduced my confidence in the lock. Due to UK law I can't carry it in public anyway, so it's restricted to a desktop fidget piece anyway, so it doesn't matter so much to me. No doubt I was unlucky to receive a less-than-perfect CBBL, but even so, I wish the design was a little more "high end", whatever that might be.
PM2 S30V (left hand), Manix 2 S110V, Native 5 S110V, UKPK HH S30V, Matriarch 2 Emerson VG-10, Spidie Tool,
Benchmade Contego 810 M4, Griptilian 550BK-1 20CV, Cold Steel AD-10, AD-15, Kizer Sheepdog (left), Megatherium (left), CRK Sebenza 21 (left), Gavko Thresher (left).
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

The love is in what the Spyderco Manix (in all it's models, sizes, and versions) is designed to be... a knife with a nice ergonomic feel and design, and, as far as I'm concerned, envisioned for use in the field (i.e., camping, hunting, etc.). Also, I really don't care what other people may think of the knives I EDC nor do I need their approval. To me, the Manix was designed to function under conditions that one may experience under field conditions, which, to me, includes durable design and construction, edge-holding steel, and non-slip grip.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
Tims

Post by Tims »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:09 am
I have three. I have a backlock and two light weights. The light weights get carried a lot and I mean a lot. I don’t use my pm2 or anything else anymore in the size range.

As for It being a pocket Hog, just stop using the clip and drop it down in your pocket and problem solved.
This is how I’ve been carrying lately, so have felt limited to backlocks for safety. Have you found the self close on the cbbl strong enough to carry clipless without fear of it opening? In all situations? Ie, being active etc
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I can't take it anymore! I'm going to raid my son's collection and borrow his Manix😁
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Tims wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:55 pm
Doc Dan wrote:

This is how I’ve been carrying lately, so have felt limited to backlocks for safety. Have you found the self close on the cbbl strong enough to carry clipless without fear of it opening? In all situations? Ie, being active etc
I prefer the back lock but have had no issues with the Cbbl. I have done my usual tests that defeat the axis, frame, and liner locks and the cbbl passes. Of course I am no lonLong sliding down mountain side and other rough and tumble type activities. However this lock has passed a lot of things that I do at home that calls other locks to open. So I’m pretty confident. I carry my knives drop down in my pocket not clipped.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
vivi

Post by vivi »

Tims wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:

I'm not Doc, but for what it's worth I've never had a bbl or cbbl open by accident. I'm a very active guy and often clip a folder IWB during trail runs, hikes, etc. Lockbacks and bbl are pretty much the only locking mechanisms I buy from Spyderco. I'd consider the power lock too, but do not own one. I avoid all detent based locks.
:unicorn
Tims

Post by Tims »

Thanks Doc, Vivi, that’s what I wanted to hear
bgcameron

Post by bgcameron »

I recently had mine somehow open part way in my jean pocket. When I reached down to grab the knife I ended up with a nasty slice in my thumb. I don't know how it happened but I will be extra careful going forward.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tims wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:

Just want to second (or "third"?) Vivi and Doc. The CBBL in my Manix 2 lw felt as safe as a backlock (and no other lock I personally had on a knife did).

It was really only the shorter than I like edge that made me sell my Manix.
If they'll ever make a Msnix XL Lightweight, I think that could become one of my favorite Spydies...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

bgcameron wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:28 pm
I recently had mine somehow open part way in my jean pocket. When I reached down to grab the knife I ended up with a nasty slice in my thumb. I don't know how it happened but I will be extra careful going forward.
Dang, sorry to hear that. I know the feeling.

Was yours clipped or carried loose in your pocket?
:unicorn
Tims

Post by Tims »

bgcameron wrote:
Bugger. Do you remember how the knife was orientated in your pocket? Blade facing down etc
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

We all must keep in mind that any folding knife can come open given the right conditions...even back locks. However, backlocks and cbbl are far less likely to open when unwanted than other locks because there is no detent and there is a strong bias towards close with Spyderco locks of this ilk.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bgcameron

Post by bgcameron »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:38 pm
bgcameron wrote:
Dang, sorry to hear that. I know the feeling.

Was yours clipped or carried loose in your pocket?
It was clipped. My thumb is all healed up now but I won't forget that nasty surprise!

I have since sold that Manix but have another one or two on the way. A local chain recently restocked a few more of the Burl G10 S90V, and I ordered a Cruwear from knifecenter. Hopefully it makes it across the border because I have plans to make it a hard user.
bgcameron

Post by bgcameron »

Tims wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:43 pm
bgcameron wrote:
Bugger. Do you remember how the knife was orientated in your pocket? Blade facing down etc
Clipped in my right pocket, in standard RH tip-up carry form