Which locks can you easily close one handed?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Which locks can you easily unlock with one hand?

Lockback
13%
Liner lock
13%
Frame lock
12%
Compression lock
15%
Ball bearing lock
7%
Caged ball bearing lock
12%
Slipjoint
9%
Bolt action lock
7%
Phantom lock
5%
Friction folder
7%

Total votes: 419

vivi

Which locks can you easily close one handed?

Post by vivi »

One thing that has genuinely surprised me over the years here, is how many people have difficulty unlocking pocket knives one handed.

Which locks can you easily unlock with one hand? Check all that apply.

I voted for all except the phantom lock. I've never tried a phantom lock, which is why I didn't select it. None of the other locks give me any difficulty at all unlocking one handed - most I can unlock easily with either hand....lockback, comp lock, cbbl etc.
:unicorn
SG89

Re: Which locks can you easily close one handed?

Post by SG89 »

I have never touched a knife with a phantom lock. Other than that, I can unlock any type of knife lock I have held one-handed and i have very small hands. I think people that have trouble unlocking one handed have a medical issue perhaps or haven't practiced enough yet. If all else fails, one can close a knife easily by using their leg to press against
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
vivi

Post by vivi »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:40 pm
I have never touched a knife with a phantom lock. Other than that, I can unlock any type of knife lock I have held one-handed and i have very small hands. I think people that have trouble unlocking one handed have a medical issue perhaps or haven't practiced enough yet. If all else fails, one can close a knife easily by using their leg to press against
Yep, that's how I used to close Swiss Army Knives when I edc'd them. Pushed the spine against my thigh, with my fingers out of the way of the blade™

I can understand why someone with medical issues could have difficulty with any lock. I can't understand why someone without them would though.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

All of the above.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Spyderco in particular has spoiled us with ease of lock manipulation..I.e. opening and closing with one hand. This is not true for every maker. some makers knives and locks are just not that easy to manipulate.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

Who can't close a comp lock? Really?
I've never had a struggle with backlocks. Once you know how to it's second nature.
I wish i had more lock types to try....
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

CBBL, liner, frame, compression, lock back, slip joint, bolt action...come on folks, it's really not that difficult! Unless you have arthritis or some kind of medical problem. I agree Vivi, been a lot of talk about this lately. Maybe not enough experience, or a simple tweak to the pivot could make a world of a difference.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I haven't used the phantom or bolt action lock so I didn't select those. I also didn't select the slip joint because of the odd ball one. Most I can close one handed or just use my leg, but I have some stout enough that even closing them on my leg feels dangerous. I also have some slip joints that I need to be closed two handed and slowly so it doesn't smash in on the backspring and make blade wrap (sucks). Other than that, no problems.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

If you include a thigh, I can close them all one handed. Except I have no idea what a phantom lock is! Gonna have to google it.
Okay, just watched a video. Very cool lock, looks easy to unlock one handed. I see why it has its name, too.
Last edited by Bill1170 on Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Voted for all of the above as well.

Vivi, for what it's worth, I'm 110% certain you would have no problem closing a phantom lock one handed.

:spyder:
-Nick :bug-red
ferider

Post by ferider »

The better question is which locks can you easily close blind 100 times without cutting yourself. With that metric, I prefer the thigh method for back-locks, but don't need my thigh for CBBL and compression locks, and choil'ed frame- and linerlocks.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Each of the above that I've actually tried, no problem at all. Never used a phantom, bolt action and BBL (but sure a CBBL)
Last edited by Wartstein on Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Tims

Post by Tims »

Vivi, you’re gonna have to hand out a lot of medals on this one mate. I think if you can pick your nose and turn on a tap those locks shouldn’t be much of a problem.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Some certainly require more dexterity than others, but I'm able to close them all one-handed without any issues. Admittedly, I've never handled a phantom lock, but I don't imagine that I would have any problem with it.

Haha, I think this may be wrong place to find people who have difficulty closing knives. They do exist though.. I've seen people handle knives who act as if they are trying to disarm a nuclear bomb wearing wool mittens..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
vivi

Post by vivi »

Tims wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:12 pm
Vivi, you’re gonna have to hand out a lot of medals on this one mate. I think if you can pick your nose and turn on a tap those locks shouldn’t be much of a problem.
You'd think. But the number of posts I've seen where people have trouble with lockbacks, cbbl etc. is pretty crazy.

Even looking at the poll it's weird that liner locks score a few points higher than framelocks. Huh? Unlocking them is the same.

Another thing that I always felt was weird are left handed comp lock knives. I've always felt comp locks were ambidextrous. Never thought twice about closing my old Para 2 left handed.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

They are just not as perfectly ambidextrous as a mid back lock, but doable nonetheless.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Depends on what you mean by "one handed". I can close all of them except the ball bearing lock with one hand. However, some of them require closing them against my leg to do it safely. Traditional slipjoints and backspring liner locks (like the Victorinox Sentiinel) would fall into that category, as would most backlocks that don't have a "hole" opener. However, like hitting my thumb with a hammer, just because I can do it, doesn't mean I want to do it.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've got a couple Ouroboros I've been playing with, and while the CL is probably my favorite lock, there have been several occasions where I instinctively reached back for a back lock when unlocking this knife. I think part of it is that the ergonomics and size really remind me of a Dragonfly, but I think this model would have been perfect for a back lock and I don't say that about many knives.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
FullFlatMind

Post by FullFlatMind »

The easiest and quickest locks for me to close are the compression and CBBL. I am more cautious about slip joints with one hand closing.