Calypso sprint run - would you buy one?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jdw

Re: Calypso sprint run - would you buy one?

Post by jdw »

Does Spyderco even offer Micarta in anything anymore?
There are a lot of threads talking about Micarta scales but I can't think of a knife from Spyderco currently offered in Micarta......Do you have to retool to switch back and forth from Micarta to G10 to CF and back again??
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

I would buy one in a heartbeat! Love my brown sprint!
"No matter where you go, there you are"
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

For the other fans that say we have similar models: yes, we do have. I have Chief and I really fell in love with 4 inch blade knives. So yes, every knife has its flavour.
Calypso 2 model, with screw construction and some steel, hmm....
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
mayong

Post by mayong »

VashHash wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:44 am
yablanowitz wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:48 am
I love the original C54 in unlined Micarta. The 50% weight gain on the Sprint was a major turn-off for me. Adding even more weight for screw construction? No thanks.
This right here.

I would jump on an original style sprint. Linen Micarta all the way. Maybe do a red this time or white /ivory.

Smooth ivory Micarta would be so neat.
Police | Calypso | Caly 3 & 3.5 | PM 2 | Para 3 | UKPK | Endura | Dragonfly | Sage 2 | Sage 5

"While this test doesn't simulate any logical use of a knife as a tool, since it was a concern of some of our customers, we began incorporating it into our testing protocols." - Michael Janich
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Oh yeah just a thought. Why not make it a linerless model ála Chief? That could keep the cost a bit down.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

yablanowitz wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:48 am
I love the original C54 in unlined Micarta. The 50% weight gain on the Sprint was a major turn-off for me. Adding even more weight for screw construction? No thanks.
Good Point YAB because a lot people have forgotten that it was one of the original late 90s/early 2000s Micarta models. When they did the Brown Sprint run a few years back they went with a G-10 handle. But they stayed with VG-10 steel for whatever reason. With the GOLDEN made Sprint Runs in many cases having a newer/better blade steel I truly wish Spyderco would re-think their Japan made Sprint Runs. And buddy you and I were privileged to have been Spyder-Fans during that Golden Era.

And why can't those original Micarta gems in Sprint Runs be made again with Micarta handles. That was an incredible era in Spyder History and one I dearly miss by the way. :cool:

OH and by the way if they would re-introduce or Sprint Run the C-54 in Micarta scales I don't care if it's linerless or has a liner. Yeah I like Micarta that good.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'd be all for linerless micarta with screw construction. Scrwws vs pins is a deal breaker for me in any model that isn't 100% rust proof, like the original pinned Pacific Salts.
:unicorn
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I had the G-10 sprint before I was lucky enough to pick up a Micarta C54. As much as I love some great supersteel, for something like this, I would just want the handles to be contoured linerless G-10 with a nice high polish. For me, this would be of the highest priority for another sprint. Followed by PE & SE, then the swedge and finally, the golden bug clip. Please Sal..:)

My personal opinion is that these older Japanese model had F&F that rivaled anyone. No need for fasteners when the pins were all installed and fitted perfectly.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
vivi

Post by vivi »

xceptnl wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:32 pm
I had the G-10 sprint before I was lucky enough to pick up a Micarta C54. As much as I love some great supersteel, for something like this, I would just want the handles to be contoured linerless G-10 with a nice high polish. For me, this would be of the highest priority for another sprint. Followed by PE & SE, then the swedge and finally, the golden bug clip. Please Sal..:)

My personal opinion is that these older Japanese model had F&F that rivaled anyone. No need for fasteners when the pins were all installed and fitted perfectly.
I beg to differ. My issue isn't fit and finish or blade play. My issue is this is what any non-salt knife looks like for me after EDC during warmer months (9/10 months out of the year here):

If I can't take a knife apart to scrub out the rust, the issue gets exponentially worse as time goes on.

I have no issues with the pinned Pacific Salt I've carried off and on for a decade.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:52 pm
xceptnl wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:32 pm

I beg to differ. My issue isn't fit and finish or blade play. My issue is this is what any non-salt knife looks like for me after EDC during warmer months (9/10 months out of the year here):

If I can't take a knife apart to scrub out the rust, the issue gets exponentially worse as time goes on.

I have no issues with the pinned Pacific Salt I've carried off and on for a decade.
Since Calypso was a mythical sea nymph and the daughter of Atlas, perhaps an LC-200N version without liners could solve lots of needs.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
vivi

Post by vivi »

It'd certainly solve mine :)
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I felt no need for a C54 Calypso and disregarded its last sprint. Thanks to a fellow forum member, I was able to correct the error of my ways.

The model was clearly designed in the dark, but I would still be mystified how Sal arrived at such an elegant blade-shape even if he’d had the lights on.

If the Calypso reappeared in the form Yablonowitz describes, I’d be all over it. And given Vivi’s concerns, I’d be happy with LC200N for blade, pivot, and pins.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

jdw wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:06 pm
Does Spyderco even offer Micarta in anything anymore?
There are a lot of threads talking about Micarta scales but I can't think of a knife from Spyderco currently offered in Micarta......Do you have to retool to switch back and forth from Micarta to G10 to CF and back again??
I don't know how much difference there is in machining the various materials as far as tooling goes. I do know each has very different properties. I also recall Sal posting once that they learned a lot from making those unlined Micarta knives back then, and the biggest lesson was not to. It seems large changes in temperature, humidity and altitude (like going from coastal Japan to the semi-arid heights of the Rocky Mountains) can cause shrinkage, expansion or just plain warpage in Micarta if it is not supported. So using canvas Micarta for the scales on the full-tang Temperance2 worked out, but they have avoided using it without steel backing since the turn of the millennium.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

wrdwrght wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:28 pm
I felt no need for a C54 Calypso and disregarded its last sprint. Thanks to a fellow forum member, I was able to correct the error of my ways.

The model was clearly designed in the dark, but I would still be mystified how Sal arrived at such an elegant blade-shape even if he’d had the lights on.

If the Calypso reappeared in the form Yablonowitz describes, I’d be all over it. And given Vivi’s concerns, I’d be happy with LC200N for blade, pivot, and pins.
As I recall, the C54 was something Sal designed for himself, before the length limit was shortened to 3.5". He knows what he likes, and we are lucky he is willing to share with us.