Cruwear Micarta Native follow up to the Shaman??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
curlyhairedboy

Re: Cruwear Micarta Native follow up to the Shaman??

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:50 am
curlyhairedboy wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:18 am
kirilpetkov wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:23 am
photo of this year bladeshow 2019

that's looking fantastic! :eek: :eek: :eek: :D :D
Except that the blade is not stonewashed like on the S30V model... :(
true, but that would be something easier for the end user to complete. I felt the same way about loving the s30v's stonewash, then I was able to see the s90v's satin. It's rather nice!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Looks great! I much prefer satin over stonewash.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:16 am
That's totally personal preference of course, but I think especially on the Shaman and even more so combined with a Micarta handle, a stone washed blade would be just perfect...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:26 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:
That's totally personal preference of course, but I think especially on the Shaman and even more so combined with a Micarta handle, a stone washed blade would be just perfect...
Gravel, a wide-mouth plastic bottle, a bit of water+soap and a few hours in a clothes tumble dryer will go a long way towards giving you a very similar finish ;)
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:26 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:

This is just a prototype I believe, so I wouldn't be surprised to see the production version with a stone washed finish.

I still think they should do a double-sprint of DLC and stonewash/satin in order to maximize the number of available pieces (1,200 of each? 2,400 of each? more?). These are going to be difficult to get no matter how many they make. I think really they should these as production knives rather than the usual S110V/Maxamet alternatives. This combo makes much more sense for this model.

Now back to the topic at hand! :) A Cruwear Micarta Native follow up! Discuss!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Wow, so it looks like this is really going to happen. I am flabbergasted. There is a word I don't often use.

I do hope for a big run, or that they make some kind of decision to make this regular production.
KingRat

Post by KingRat »

Looks great. I hope Spyderco makes tons of them, and the Canadian dealers can get their hands on them, enough so us enthusiasts don't have to cut each others throats grabbing them up. Customs won't let me bring one into the country on my own.
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

Cruwear micarta native? **** yes. I'd love to see that become a new "thing", like the way they do s90v/carbon fiber. But for the second model, I definitely agree it should be the native 5. The native 5 is just such a great knife. Carrying one today, and sometimes I just take it out and admire the design. An underrated model in my book.
semfi1345

Post by semfi1345 »

A Cruwear Native following the Shaman would be awesome and I would purchase them both, preferably in G10, which I believe is superior in every way to micarta.
SPY-27 and CPM-Cruwear are peak performance...for me.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

semfi1345 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:36 pm

A Cruwear Native following the Shaman would be awesome and I would purchase them both, preferably in G10, which I believe is superior in every way to micarta.

In my opinion G10 is no where near as aesthetically or tactilely pleasing as a well done matte finished slightly roughed up micarta. And if you are throwing slabs of it on the linered Native from the S110V blurple model then it should be just as strong as G10. In my experience G10 gets smoother with age and wear (bad thing), is chippier than micarta when dropped, and typically is more expensive than micarta. So I am interested to hear why you think it is superior in every way? I can't think of any honestly, except *maybe* it is a bit stronger, but I am not sure I believe that.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Micarta is also a wide variety of things. Paper, linen, canvas, burlap, etc. all impregnated with resin. Is there any variation in strength between these materials? Since they are saturated/stabilized with the resin I would think not. G10 is just fiberglass impregnated with resin. Seems to me the strength lies in the resin, and the fibrous material is merely acting like steel rebar in a concrete slab. The other distinction is that the fibrous material can yield different roughened textures.
tibash

Post by tibash »

Filoso- wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:59 am
I’m eagerly waiting for a Cruwear Native... I don’t know why it hasn’t happened yet.
[/q
knifecenter just started selling the manix 2 in cruwear. I just ordered mine. only thing was it said shipping would be in 5-7 bus days. it was $130
zippifish

Post by zippifish »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:56 am
Micarta is also a wide variety of things. Paper, linen, canvas, burlap, etc. all impregnated with resin. Is there any variation in strength between these materials? Since they are saturated/stabilized with the resin I would think not. G10 is just fiberglass impregnated with resin. Seems to me the strength lies in the resin, and the fibrous material is merely acting like steel rebar in a concrete slab. The other distinction is that the fibrous material can yield different roughened textures.
As an avid surfer who has ordered well over 50 custom surfboards in my lifetime I can tell you you have it backwards, the type of resin be it epoxy or polystyrene is important but the cloth used and the layup to make the composite gives it its strength.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:43 am
I would buy any Cruwear Native. Micarta would just make it better.

Exactly!!
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

zippifish wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:36 pm
Woodpuppy wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:56 am
As an avid surfer who has ordered well over 50 custom surfboards in my lifetime I can tell you you have it backwards, the type of resin be it epoxy or polystyrene is important but the cloth used and the layup to make the composite gives it its strength.
Interesting perspective. What do you find performs best? How thick are the composite layers and how thick are the cores? I would think the needs of a surfboard would greatly exceed those of a 4” long knife handle scale.
restless ghost

Post by restless ghost »

I would absolutely buy a Cruwear Micarta Native. No brainer
Filoso-

Post by Filoso- »

tibash wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:36 pm
Filoso- wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:59 am
I’m eagerly waiting for a Cruwear Native... I don’t know why it hasn’t happened yet.
knifecenter just started selling the manix 2 in cruwear. I just ordered mine. only thing was it said shipping would be in 5-7 bus days. it was $130
Delayed thanks Tibash, I don’t know how, but I had not seen your post :o
The KC exclusive is a great variation of the Manix, hopefully the Cruwear Native is not too far in time...
amateur blacksmith

Post by amateur blacksmith »

I'd love to see a Military but a distant 2nd choice would be a Native. I'd buy 2 of either.
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

G10/s30v, CF/s90v, Micarta/CruWear. I'd like to see these all as standard production offering on all flagship models. That would be amazing!
Tims

Post by Tims »

A Cruwear Native in Micarta would be awesome. I would prefer liners, we already have multiple lightweight options.