Why all the Manix love?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Dazen

Why all the Manix love?

Post by Dazen »

I’ve always tried to love the Manix and I’m still struggling to like it even with all the awesome sprints and exclusives out. I understand how great the ergonomics are, but I guess it’s the overall looks of the knive. I like to carry a knife that when I take it out around people, that may not necessarily be into knives, say that’s a nice knife. I don’t like to have to sell the ergo’s every time to them.

Maybe if Spyderco did a sprint with solid smooth carbon fiber like the Shaman or Kapara, or Titanium and also did a higher end finish on the ball bearing lock I would be more inclined to buy one.

Am I wrong and do I just need to give in and buy one to experience the wonder of the Manix?
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
VashHash

Re: Why all the Manix love?

Post by VashHash »

Not everyone likes everything and that's okay. I used to carry a manix 2 all the time but I moved on to different knives. Mainly bigger knives. There are a lot of aftermarket options around too. Soon there will be steel and titanium cages. You can get any scale you want made.
benben

Post by benben »

Does my S110V Manix LW look like a CR Inkosi Insingo? Nope, not even close! But man what a great user, and who cares what people think? What I know is I have a super high quality, great cutting knife that didn't break the bank!
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

That's why I usually carry a PM2. It's more... unusual looking and it always catches the eyes of people in a pleasant way. But to be fair I never owned a Manix so I don't know if that would get a different reaction, but you're probably right. It does look more like a work horse than a mustang.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

I agree with Vash... not everything is for everyone. I have similarly tried to like the Manix.

But have you seen Roland's upgraded Manii? They are dope.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I would focus more on how I feel about it rather than concern myself with selling other people on it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Because they are wrong >:(

Joking, I like the Manix 2. I HATE the CBBL, it should be burned at the stake and sealed away for all eternity.

Different strokes for different folks.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
FullFlatMind

Post by FullFlatMind »

There is something for everyone. The Manix 2 is probably my favorite Spyderco as a user. Yeah, it is wide in the pocket and to some people it is not pretty. It is more function over form for me but I DO like the looks of it. The blade shape and length is great for so many tasks. The lightweight version is, for me, an awesome all-around user. It would be even better with LC200N.

The ergos are one of the best things about it. It fits so well in hand and is very secure. The lock-up and action are also superb. The CBBL is fun and functional. The ones I have owned have been drop shut, smooth, and the easiest one-hand operation knives I have used, even the PM2.

YMMV
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

For most of us our tastes change over time, for different uses or with job changes etc. Which is fun (and occasionally annoying or entertaining).

Maybe you (or I) will grow to like one years from now. I would maybe like a backlock XL.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

For me, the manix represents a set of attributes that doesn't overlap too much with the PM2. It lacks the stock thickness to (imo) reassure the user that it can stand up to impact-prone environments, despite having a strong lock. It's wide in the pocket and not very fidget friendly. However, it has a much more appealing blade shape than the PM2, is definitely ergonomically better in hand, and is truly ambidextrous.

If i were to update the Manix to my personal specs, i'd modify the blade shape to something more like the delica with a drop point to improve tip strength, use a slightly thicker stock (0.5mm maybe?) and ease up on the lock sprint stiffness. Other than that it's a very solid choice!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
inversion

Post by inversion »

I like the Manix, and made the conscious decision to NOT get into them. Still, I somehow ended up with five.

They don't get much carry time because I prefer deep carry, and the Lynch clips I have around sit too high. What clips are the best for the Manix 2? The MXG look like they sit nicely.

Recommendations?
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I guess I'm in the minority. Trying to use the Manix this past year has resulted in sore hands. Same reason I never used it as my work knife when I needed one. It feels fine when I'm just holding it, but when I'm really using it, all that jimping digs in and the flatness of the knife falls short with me. The Manix backlock is a bit better because it lacks handle jimping but even then it is very blocky and without contours. So Idk, I feel like tue Manix could work for my hand but won't in the way it is currently made. Otherwise, I like the look, the blade, and the lock.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:35 am
.. I HATE the CBBL, it should be burned at the stake and sealed away for all eternity. .
How come? Any reasoning? No offense, I am asking just out of interest, cause for one I really like the CBBL and then I could not imagine to literally HATE any lock Spyderco makes..
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

The Manix 2 is hands down the best knife in the Spyderco catalog. It is not flashy. It is not the 'cool kid'. What it is, is a work horse. It is a tank of a knife, has amazing ergonomics, and will do almost every job. I don't EDC mine enough, in favor of the larger Military. But I am carrying the LW Blue Manix 2 today! :)
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

The Manix (I just had the LW) has really good ergos for me. Both in a regular grip and choked up. CBBL is a great lock.
But: For the quite big package in your pocket you get a -for me- too short edge for an everyday EDC knife.

A Manix LW without a choil, but an edge right to the handle would be great (I know that the CBBL requires some choil though)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I don’t worry what others think about my knife.

There was a smooth CF exclusive from KC.

I am not a huge Manix fan. The ergos are secure but I wouldn’t call them comfortable. I also dislike the superfluous jimping. I actually prefer the ManixLW over the G10 version.

That said, I am carrying my grey argyle Cruwear Manix today.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
awa54

Post by awa54 »

I have the smooth CF/Cruwear exclusive from KC and I constantly wish that it was a peel ply texture, because the Manix is a work knife, not a gentleman's knife...

It may be a bit homely compared to the sleek pocket jewelry that some favor, but I like it for the locked in grip ergos, the super strong lock, the swing-free blade and the fact that as a functional cutting tool the Manix 2 is hard to beat. The odd lumpy shape of the Manix grip will always win out over a featureless slab of Ti when it comes to cutting things that are more demanding than packing tape or envelopes ;)

For all of the above reasons, I rarely EDC my Manix variants, they're a bit heavy, bulky and overbuilt for my needs at work.
Last edited by awa54 on Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

I guess I’m always looking for a knife that checks as many boxes it can:

Can take whatever I throw at it (outdoors or saltwater)
High end materials/gentlemen’s knife
Ergonomic
Preferably 3.5 plus inch blades
Fidget factor (comp lock)
Preferably a Spyderco

I use my all my knives no matter the cost. They eventually all go to my boys who end up loosing/breaking them in the long run.

I wasn’t keen on the Shaman when it first came out but the CF S90V fit the bill. Just debating if the Manix could do the same eventually.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I dunno, I find my DLT exclusive and DEFINITELY the KW exclusive to be very good looking Manix's. CBBL is possibly my favorite lock and if I'm bored and feeling like adult fidget spinnering...I'm actually faster with a Manix than I am any knife with a compression lock. I also feel safer hard using a Manix over many other knives, including the PM2.
Last edited by TkoK83Spy on Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

the manix 2 is the best pocket knife ever made. it's comfortable in every grip (easily better than the pm2). it has a great versatile blade shape. it's got a strong lock. it's narrow at the top of the pocket. it can only be improved with a rustproof steel and screws on the lw version.

that being said, i'm glad it's less popular. if it were more popular, it would be more expensive. so, everyone keep liking the pm2 and shaman more and i'll be over here happy with a superior knife design and more money in my wallet.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C