Calypso sprint run - would you buy one?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Pancake

Calypso sprint run - would you buy one?

Post by Pancake »

Lately I discovered Calypso model (not the Junior one). Such a nice design. Almost 4 inch blade, nice shapes, nice handle.

Do you think that a sprint run ( or a retro run ?) would sell well? Or the price would be too high for what you get (basic linered knife with G10 and some basic steel)?
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
SG89

Re: Calypso sprint run - would you buy one?

Post by SG89 »

The last Calypso sprint was brown g10 and VG10. Solid SuperBlue and grey g10 or micarta would sell out pretty fast even at around $200. I think people are tired of black g10 and vg10 japanese-made spydies costing so much so they would prefer more exciting handle materials and steel to justify the higher cost
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

No. I have a Military in S110V which fills the niche.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Also the Chief is really great
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I really wanted one for awhile but now that the Chief is out, I think I'll just go with that.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I would buy a SuperBlue Calypso yesterday.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Before the Chief, I might have. Now, not likely.

The Calypso would need a few updates to get my attention again, most notably it would have to get rid of the pinned construction.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Oh yes, pinned construction is not good, but that could be changed.....
So, maybe blue or light green G10 and maybe SG2 steel would work?
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Like Spydergirl says I too would buy one if they made it in any blade steel except VG-10. Also another requirement would be for a Sprint Run C-54 Calypso to be offered up in SE & PE both like the original model was. IF they would make them in SE & PE>> the SE could be in VG-10 for that matter if they would make the plain edge in HAP 40 or some other upper tier Japanese blade steel. It was one of their top 3 best ever FFG Spyderedged folders for sure and I would want another one of them in SE actually more than PE.

And this is coming from a guy who historically has been a big fan of the C-54 big Calypso model overall. But I really liked the Spyderedged version of the C-54 as much as I did the Plain edged and if I couldn't also get it in SE I would be disappointed. Yeah they would have to spice it up a bit at this point in the game with a newer/better blade steel because we've just had our share of Sprint Runs in VG-10. It is interesting from one standpoint though because I believe the original C-54 Calypso was the first Spyderco folder ever in VG-10. And I believe the MORAN was the first fixed blade in VG-10. But after 20+ years of VG-10 folders it's truly time for a different type of Sprint Run in the Japan made Spyders.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Yes, I agree on the VG-10 thing.....its fine, but sometimes the price is bit too much for the materials used.
jdw

Post by jdw »

I wouldn't. As others have stated, there are too many knives that already fill that niche and the cost for the quality received is questionable at best out of both the Seki and Moki plants.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
vivi

Post by vivi »

Mako109 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:06 am
Before the Chief, I might have. Now, not likely.

The Calypso would need a few updates to get my attention again, most notably it would have to get rid of the pinned construction.
This is the main reason mine almost never gets carried.

The Calypso is a brilliant design, one of Sal's best IMO. I would be all over a sprint run with scew construction. I'd be perfectly fine with VG10 again, it just has to have screw construction this time.

Wouldn't mind a slightly larger opening hole too, but that'd be tricky to pull off. Screw construction is a much bigger deal for me.

It's such a good design and I hate seeing it left in the past.
:unicorn
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I would buy one.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

Sign me up. I have a VG10 brown Calypso, it's a sweet knife. Superblue, SG2, HAP40, ZDP are all great for an upgrade.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Super blue, M390, K390 or HAP40... Yes please!
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

SG2 would actually be a really good choice for a sprint. It's rare/unique enough that people would buy it just for the steel.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I like the design...but with the native chief I’m not sure I would buy one.

Does anyone have the calypso and chief who can post comparison pics?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd probably choose a Police 4 or Chief first. I think Golden have the back lock dialed in a little better than Japan. I might be interested in a new updated version of the Calypso though.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I love the original C54 in unlined Micarta. The 50% weight gain on the Sprint was a major turn-off for me. Adding even more weight for screw construction? No thanks.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

yablanowitz wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:48 am
I love the original C54 in unlined Micarta. The 50% weight gain on the Sprint was a major turn-off for me. Adding even more weight for screw construction? No thanks.
This right here.

I would jump on an original style sprint. Linen Micarta all the way. Maybe do a red this time or white /ivory.