Fillet Knife? Steel Types?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
FullCircleHook

Fillet Knife? Steel Types?

Post by FullCircleHook »

I know this has been talked about in the past, but I want to resurrect the topic. I'd love to see the king of the "Salt" produce a new fillet knife. I need to replace my humble Rapala that has got me through the years. I snagged a a Catcherman, but I need a fixed blade for heavy, routine use.

Compared to most on here, I'm still a knife newb. I've never put much thought or research into a fillet knife, and that might have something to do with the lack of a recent Spydie release. Maybe people aren't willing to invest as much in this area. I have noticed that they tend to be less expensive knives, with older steel types. I was wondering, could some of the newer corrosion resistant steels create a good filet knife? In other words, could H1 or LC200N be ground thin enough and be flexible enough to work?

I wonder if there would be a market for the higher price that these steels would incur? Thoughts?
Xplorer

Re: Fillet Knife? Steel Types?

Post by Xplorer »

I too would like a Spyderco Filet knife. A Phil Wilson collaboration would be my preference. The steel for fillet knives should be stainless preferably, but the edge holding and ductility characteristics of the steel are equally, if not more important. H1 doesn't hold an edge well enough for a fillet knife. Lc200N will likely be very good for this application although I don't know of any LC200N filet knives yet. 154CM, S30V, Bohler 690 and CPM154 all make great fillet blades. If you want to see some great examples of filet knives, check out what Phil Wilson makes at Seamount Knifeworks.

Best regards,
Chad
Last edited by Xplorer on Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

I'm all in for a Phil Wilson fillet. Fine by me to keep it S90V to match the Southfork and Sprig.....or a steel of Sal's choice. :spyder: Over the years I've accumulated a number of fillet/boning knives. Forschner, Dexter, Microtech, Rapala, Case, etc. in different steels. I prefer a 7 1/2 to 8" thin stock with little flex, though sometimes a 9 or 10" is more useful. Would love to see the Shelter Cove or Punta Chivato design. Would purchase several of these as gifts for family members. Could we have a lanyard hole for times it would be needed? Look forward to a Spydie fillet.
Last edited by Tdog on Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I'm not a big fan of s90v/s110v in folding knives but I would be happy with a fillet knife in either of those. My two Phil Wilsons are cpm154 and I love that steel but I'd be happy to try one of his fillets in a higher wear resistance steel.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Bring on the shelter cove!!!

I do not know why there are so few high end fillet knives. It's not like fishermen don't spend a lot of money on their sport? Hunting is the same way. You see guys with $1200 rifles carrying $10 hunting knives? I have never understood that. It does seem as though companies like Dexter Russell really own the fillet knife market. Their carbon steel fillet knives are great but they are $25 knives.

I would be happy with a Phil Wilson in a wear resistant steel. I have used the Sprig a ton and the edge has held up great even cutting through some bone.

I do hope that a fillet knife makes it into the current Spyderco kitchen lineup as well. MBS26 would be a fine fillet knife steel and it would come in at a price that competes very well with the other affordable options like the ones F. Dick and Dexter Russel offer. I would gift a couple for sure.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
arty

Post by arty »

I have fishing knives in S35V, VG10, 440C and 12C27. The favorite steel, by far is S35V. I haven't tried a blade in S90V, but I am pretty happy with S35V at this time.
FullCircleHook

Post by FullCircleHook »

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I'll definitely check out those Phil Wilsons. I've really just been biding my time to see if Spyderco would make one, but I'm getting impatient.

The H1 edge retention point is definitely valid. I have to sharpen half way through cleaning sessions now, and I'd like to escape that with a better edge retention.

LC200N would be great for me, because I surf fish. I would love to be able to clean at the beach, and then be able to rinse it off with salt water and wash it down later. Some times on camping trips that could be days away due to forgetfulness, a 3 year old and a 1 year old...they run me ragged. My Catcherman and Rapala hopefully will get me by for longer though.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Well, here could be one reason, which I personally disagree with, and this is not at all to undermine or burst the bubble of the desire for a good quality fillet knife, but one old-time fisherman I knew who used to work off commercial boats, when we discussed knives, his attitude was this: If you need something more than a good standard Dexter-Russell, you're droppin money down to Davy Jone's Locker. His attitude was fishing is all about cutting up meat and he was absolutely convinced that spending more for higher-quality steel is what you do if you want a hunting knife, not a fillet knife. I think some people have the idea that a fillet knife is more "disposable" than a hunting knife, which I disagree with. While I like Rapala and Dexter Russell and there are a host of inexpensive fillet knives, I'm with you all, Surf, Phil, and Full Circle Hook: BRING on the quality fillet knives :)

And PLEASE also include a shorter stiffer knife in the roundup made of whatever quality steel you decide on. :)
deepdiver17

Post by deepdiver17 »

I’d love to resurrect this topic. I think there’s a serious need for a high quality steel PRODUCTION fillet knife. I’m tired of using knives I have to sharpen after every single fish.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Actually I would love to see the return of the full Spyderedged Catcherman. The old AUS-8 full SE Catcherman I own is still one of my most used Spyders especially in the kitchen. Also I never go on an outdoor venture without my full SE, AUS-8 Catcherman. Really and truly AUS-8 isn't bad steel at all for Spyderedged blades.

Now for a fixed blade fillet knife I could go with VG-10, RWL-34 or S90V as previously suggested. Now for a full Spyderedged, fixed blade, fillet knife I would be content if they used one of the older SE blade steels that performed so well. I would even be content with an AUS-8 blade in full SE again.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

One issue with creating a production fillet knife is everyone has a slightly different idea of what a fillet knife is. This can be based on a number of factors, including what type of fish you clean, size of fish, technique you use, and not least of all, simply what you are used to using. Some folks like a very narrow profile and lots of flex. Some folks (like myself) prefer to fillet larger fish with a fairly rigid and wider blade. Some guys want lots of belly in their fillet knives while others prefer a completely straight edge profile.

The biggest factor in performance is the skill of the guy holding the knife. I reckon my skill is barely average amongst guys who fish a lot and clean their own dinner daily. If I ever start thinking I’m good at it all I have to do is go to YouTube and pull up some Japanese fish monger breaking down a 200lb tuna like a Jedi Master. There are guys out there that have been cleaning fish 10 hours a day for 30 years and they can do it like a machine...and often they are using a knife design and technique that I would never have imagined.

Eventually, I decided to just make my own fillet design that was best suited to the fish I clean and the technique I use. My knife is more rigid than a wispy little fillet knife I might use on small bass or perch but it works great for me on tuna, mahi and snapper. The rigidity of my fillet knives also made them suitable for kitchen use so I put a good deal of effort into creating a fillet knife that would also be a highly functional kitchen knife. My “Kitchen Fillet” is by far my most used kitchen knife.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Surfingringo wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:37 am

My “Kitchen Fillet” is by far my most used kitchen knife.

Lets see some pics! :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Although I could clean anything from a flounder to a tuna with a native 5 (going from the outside in), I like filet knives with about a 7-8" flexible blade and not too tall of a grind. I like the design of the Victorinox cheapo's, they just have completely garbage steel. Flex is good for cleaning normal sized fish (1-5lbs) that you can filet in one cut, helps with skinning, and also helps the blade hug the ribs of flounders. I'd like to see a stainless known for fine edge holding. I wonder how 204p/20CV would work.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I've seen this topic brought up a few times lately. Thought it would be a good opportunity to show off a Filet Knife that Spyderco offered in the past.

It uses MBS-26 High Carbon Stainless steel and has a 6" flexible blade.

-Nick :bug-red
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

A dedicated Spyder fillet knife would be great but I’m pretty happy for now with a Tasman or Dragonfly HB to clean fish and fillet with a Sprig or Waterway though I do prefer S90V over LC200N for cutting through bones. I fillet all my fish at home so corrosion resistance hardly rates and if I skin fillets I use an 8” Dexter Russell.

Anyhow, I’d certainly buy a well thought out S90V or S110V fillet knife long enough to skin fillets. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
amateur blacksmith

Post by amateur blacksmith »

For me the Sprig (I have one) has nowhere near the flex a proper fillet knife should have. The stock is pretty thick. A true fillet knife needs to be thin and flexible. I hope Spyderco can make this out of decent stainless that can also hold a much better edge than many of the cheap offerings out there. A couple of different blade lengths would be nice too, as fish come in a few different sizes too. :-)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Mushroom wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:56 pm
I've seen this topic brought up a few times lately. Thought it would be a good opportunity to show off a Filet Knife that Spyderco offered in the past.

Oh how I would love to have that one. It has a serration pattern similar to the old AUS-8 Catcherman. You say it's one that Spyderco has offered in the past??? Then I'm wondering how I missed this one???? :confused: A fixed blade with MBS-26 would be fine by me with a full Spyderedge. Is this just a prototype of some sort? And a 6 inch blade would do about 80% of all the fish and game work that I would have. But it would be nice to also have one about 8 inches long too.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:25 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:56 pm

https://i.imgur.com/RUuuihQ.jpg
Oh how I would love to have that one. It has a serration pattern similar to the old AUS-8 Catcherman. You say it's one that Spyderco has offered in the past??? Then I'm wondering how I missed this one???? :confused: A fixed blade with MBS-26 would be fine by me with a full Spyderedge. Is this just a prototype of some sort? And a 6 inch blade would do about 80% of all the fish and game work that I would have. But it would be nice to also have one about 8 inches long too.
I'm not exactly sure when it was available, I'm guessing early 90's but from what I've been able to gather, this is the K06 Pro Cullinaire Serrated Fillet Knife. K06 Fillet Knife

I was incredibly fortunate enough to win this one a little over a year ago. It was 1 of 8 of that Sal found "in a box in his office."

"Found 8 more filet knives"

There is also a slight chance that it's part of the Kitchen Sharps Line from the mid 80's. The pictures in the thread with the info I need are no longer working!

Thread with info on Kitchen Sharps Line - "Spyderco Archaeology"
-Nick :bug-red
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

amateur blacksmith wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:44 pm
as fish come in a few different sizes too. :-)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Do you think the new Z Cut line of knives could be pressed into duty as a fillet knife? The blade stock looks thin and flexible (if that's what you want). The blade may be a bit short for some, and I wonder if the offset handle would be problematic.