Choil-less Spyderco Knives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Choil-less Spyderco Knives

Post by Wartstein »

Ngati Pom wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:16 am
Polestar/ Alcyone. Designed to eliminate the need for a choil, if I recall correctly. Often overlooked for more ‘prestigious ‘ models ;)
+1 on the Sliverax.
Right, like also Tenacious, Resilience (these two offer even more edge proportionally than the Polestar) and so on. But I don´t think overlooked is necessarely the right term. I have a feeling, that many people just don´t want a liner lock and do want "better" steel.

I´d love to see a Polestar or Resilience in VG10 (or maybe now BD1 N?) with a backlock. Though I am not sure if a backlock can technically be made totally without at least a tiny Ricasso or "kick"? But then the Centofante (backlock) has almost none.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:49 am
Ngati Pom wrote:
Polestar/ Alcyone. Designed to eliminate the need for a choil, if I recall correctly.
If a nice mid-sized knife like the Polestar, with no choil, was given the compression lock, I really do feel like that would be the ultimate Spyderco knife.
;) While you posted this, I did a very similar post concerning the backlock (before reading your post). When I think of "your" version with a comp.lock, something like a Caribbean-shaped, but a bit smaller knife comes to mind.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:52 am
When I think of "your" version with a comp.lock, something like a Caribbean-shaped, but a bit smaller knife comes to mind.
Yes. Also perfect!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Mini Caribbean would be a must have for me
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:50 am
Ngati Pom wrote:
Polestar/ Alcyone. Designed to eliminate the need for a choil, if I recall correctly. Often overlooked for more ‘prestigious ‘ models ;)
+1 on the Sliverax.
Right, like also Tenacious, Resilience (these two offer even more edge proportionally than the Polestar) and so on. But I don´t think overlooked is necessarely the right term. I have a feeling, that many people just don´t want a liner lock and do want "better" steel.

I´d love to see a Polestar or Resilience in VG10 (or maybe now BD1 N?) with a backlock. Though I am not sure if a backlock can technically be made totally without at least a tiny Ricasso or "kick"? But then the Centofante (backlock) has almost none.
I agree, I hesitated to purchase the Polestar initially because of the linerlock, so glad I changed my mind.
A Back or Compression lock version could only raise the profile of this ergonomic wonder.
BD1 is a nicely priced user steel, although BD1N or VG 10 would both be good steels. I think VG 10 may place it in the 'Japanese G10 ' price range.
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Ngati Pom wrote:
+1 on the Sliverax.

You own a backlock with an internal stop pin. The Chap! If they used internal stop pins they would eliminate the need for a kick from a design standpoint. Some customers would still prefer one for safety reasons (I'm not one of them).
:unicorn
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:12 am
Mini Caribbean would be a must have for me
...if it had a wire clip!

3 inch? A mini Golden bumble bee would be awesome, and it seems like a Sage5 LW LC200n is very possible.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Sounds good! ^
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:37 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Ngati Pom wrote:
You own a backlock with an internal stop pin. The Chap! If they used internal stop pins they would eliminate the need for a kick from a design standpoint. Some customers would still prefer one for safety reasons (I'm not one of them).
Thanks Vivi!

I was aware of that the Chap has an internal stop pin, but to be honest I never really looked into this design.
So I did not know, if the pin literally eliminates the need for a kick, or "just" makes the lock feel even more solid (and the Chap backlock is a step up in that regard to the already great lock of let's say the Endura).

/ I get that some people would want a kick for safety reasons (I don't). But this people should then never use linerlocks without any Ricasso (like the Tenacious), for a Linerlockknife with an edge all the way to the handle is certainly more "dangerous" for the fingers than a backlock knife without any kick or Ricasso...
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

Vivi wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:37 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Ngati Pom wrote:
+1 on the Sliverax.

Thanks for the heads up Vivi.

I had forgotten about the stop pin on the Chappy and would never have thought to apply it to this.
It would be a nice clean solution though,
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

WhyDo we not see you more chaparral style stop pins on Spyderco back locks?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:03 am
WhyDo we not see you more chaparral style stop pins on Spyderco back locks?
A very good and valid question, Doc!! I think the more people will experience the Chap and its superior backlock, the more will ask it too

Maybe this kind of backlock is more expensive in production? Requires tighter tolerances? Is less solid in bigger knives? I don't know...
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Centofante doesn’t have the internal stop pin, so if the closed blade spine is pressed, it will yield a bit until some part (edge?) hits the backspacer. It won’t happen on an Endura.

Cold steel uses additional stop pin (check Nick’s disassembly of Broken Skull). I think this is a good solution.
Chris :spyder:
soulspy

Post by soulspy »

I know you like smaller knives. You should check out the Rhino.