Getting a Native 5 - Which Steel?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Unadan

Getting a Native 5 - Which Steel?

Post by Unadan »

I'm thinking I need a Native 5 FRN. Go with the standard S30V or something else? I don't care for the yellow colored Salt version. The Spydercos I'm looking at getting are: Native 5 LW, Sage 5 LW, CQI Chaparral LW. I also have an older style Native from over 10 years ago - with the other knives I'm looking at should I even get the N5?
Kyle8734

Re: Getting a Native 5 - which steel?

Post by Kyle8734 »

I have 3 Native 5s. S30v,M4,LC200N. Had a S35VN version also but gave that to my dad. Out of the 3 the G10 M4 one I have is definitely the smoothest action as well as best fnf. The yellow handles on the LC200N version at first seemed like it wouldn't be my thing but as time has went on it has grown on me. Easy to find if dropped outside also seems to not turn any heads when pulled out in public vs a black handle knife. The one thing I will say about it is the action on the Salt version was way way stiffer at first than any of the others but over time it has smoothed out a lot. Really like the steel no rust worries, holds a good edge, gets very sharp easy.
Naperville

Re: Getting a Native 5 - Which Steel?

Post by Naperville »

Maxamet
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Salt PE then some rit dye, best of both worlds.
Last edited by Dazen on Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I’m not a fan of the Native 5. I think the previous gen Native is better ergonomically. Unless you need the chunkier blade geometry I think the Chaparral is far better.
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

Naperville wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:32 pm
Maxamet

This^^^^^

James
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

S110v, but the S30v is a good performer. Personally I prefer the Delica and it can be had in m390, hap40, zap 189, and a lot of other choices.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Naperville wrote:
Maxamet
Definitely Maxamet.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I'm pretty partial to my S90v one but if I could do it again I would get an LC200n one. That said, with the XHP of the Chap and whatever steel the Sage will be in, I would go for the S110v or Maxamet for the native. Give you something a lil different. Unless you want something quick to sharpen, then I'd go LC200n.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Unadan wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:08 pm
I'm thinking I need a Native 5 FRN. Go with the standard S30V or something else? I don't care for the yellow colored Salt version. The Spydercos I'm looking at getting are: Native 5 LW, Sage 5 LW, CQI Chaparral LW. I also have an older style Native from over 10 years ago - with the other knives I'm looking at should I even get the N5?
Not sure if I get your´re question right: But just if you´re trying to decide between the three knives and want to buy just one:
Imho no need for the Native, as soon as you have a Chap FRN (even more so since you already HAVE an older Native!): Not much less edge in a much smaller package, (for me) not less comfortable in hand, both have an amazing backlock, and the biggest plus of the Chap: 2mm blade stock. REALLY no need for the Natives 3mm in such a small knife, and 2mm slices way better (though admittedly putting your finger on the spine of a thicker blade is a bit more comfortable if that´s a concern of yours.)
One more distinction: Native 5 LW is linerless, while Chap FRN has liners (and probably does need those cause the FRN slabs are very thin). Chap still a lot lighter, both feel very strong and rigid.

Out of your three I´d probably even choose the upcoming Sage LW over the Native, though I much prefer backlocks over comp.locks. But I´d want the more of edge length the Sage offers, and I personally feel the comp.lock suits smaller knives better than larger stylewise, so I´d be ok with it in the Sage.

That being said: Doc Dan suggested a Delica in his post, I´d strongly second that. If you have a Chap (featuring a choil), the Delica is a great addition in the "small knife niche": No choil (but you can choke up on the Ricasso no problem), in return you get a quite generous sized handle that places your hand closer to the edge anyway. Btw, in the Delica I´d suggest the HAP 40 version, if you can find one, and/or maybe a wharncliff blade...

But then, if you happen to be more of a small knife guy (I am not): Get Native, Sage AND Chap... ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

TomAiello wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:56 pm
Naperville wrote:
Maxamet
Definitely Maxamet.
For sure maxamet.
David R

Post by David R »

How do you plan to use it and how do you sharpen your knives? If you don't have the ability to sharpen Maxamet easily you're looking at some frustration when it gets dull. Same with S110V to a lesser extent.

I would focus on the knife ergos that suit you first and then consider the steel after that. The scales on the LC200N Native can easily be dyed to a darker color. If I recall Nick Shabazz did a video about this.
ucfgrad93

Post by ucfgrad93 »

I have a Native 5 LW in S110V steel and absolutely love it. It is my most carried knife.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

LC200N would be my choice.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson